LECHs in the SW! (NAFHA National Meeting Report)

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

ZantiMissKnit

LECHs in the SW! (NAFHA National Meeting Report)

Post by ZantiMissKnit »

Mike H and I took the NAHFA 2014 Meeting hosted by the Rocky Mountain Chapter as a darn good excuse to fly out to Tucson, visit my sister (who is moving from the area next month), and do a bit – well, make that a LOT - of herping!

Prior to this, the westernmost place either of us have ever herped was New Orleans (if you want to call finding green anoles off Magazine Street “herping”). Do you realize what that meant? It meant that EVERYTHING WAS A LIFER!

Sorry for the CAPSLOCK YELLING there, but I get excited thinking about lifers!

Our first lifer was at a rest top in AZ. This is me pointing and grunting (hey, we got up at 3:30 am in order to take an early morning flight!), while Mike was attempting to take my photo among the gorgeous scenery.

ImageDSCN8620 by ZantiMissKnit, on Flickr

This is what I was pointing and grunting at…Lifer #1 of the trip, a Greater Earless Lizard (Cophosaurus texanus)!

ImageGreater Earless Lizard (Cophosaurus texanus) by ZantiMissKnit, on Flickr

Lifer #2 was close by…Sonoran Spotted Whiptail (Aspidoscelis sonarae)

ImageSonoran Spotted Whiptail (Aspidoscelis sonarae) by ZantiMissKnit, on Flickr

We enjoyed some of the gorgeous scenery before finding any more herps that day.

ImageDSC_0003 by ZantiMissKnit, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0002 by ZantiMissKnit, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0001 by ZantiMissKnit, on Flickr

Our first snake of the trip was Lifer #3, and this one made quite an impact on us. It was maybe 19 inches, and was using every inch of its body to remind of us the power of its bite.

ImageMojave Rattlesnake (Crotalus scutulatus) by ZantiMissKnit, on Flickr

The defensive behavior started up as soon as Mike opened the car door. We never got within five feet of this snake, and it obviously didn’t want us to get any closer.

We passed a second Mojave just a few minutes later. This one seemed fixated on the hunt (we were alerted to it by a rodent that had just been hopping around it), and barely seemed to notice us. This photo was a result of Mike opening the car door and taking a voucher shot.

Lifer #4 was another snake. At first we thought it was a twig in the road, then we thought it was a DOR. Mike took a photo for a voucher shot, since it was most likely something we hadn’t seen before…then he realized this “DOR” was looking up at him.

ImagePainted Desert Glossy Snake (Arizona elegans philipi) by ZantiMissKnit, on Flickr

These might be my new favorite snake, or at least the young ones are. On paper, it can be described as a “tan and white” snake, which doesn’t sound that compelling, but in the flesh, they are gorgeous.

ImagePainted Desert Glossy Snake (Arizona elegans philipi) by ZantiMissKnit, on Flickr

Lifer #5 was something that I had seen at some herp shows. These toads are comically large at times, and I will often pick up their deli cups at the shows just to see how much they weigh. I have to say, they are pretty comical looking in the wild as well.

ImageSonoran Desert Toad aka Colorado River Toad (Bufo alvarius or Ollotis alvaria) by ZantiMissKnit, on Flickr

I’m going to put a few photos of Lifer #6 up, because, even though I have all identified as Great Plains Toad (Anaxyrus cognatus), there may be a couple of Woodhouse's Toad (Anaxyrus woodhousii) in there, which would be an additional lifer. Let’s see.

These were all in Hidalgo County, NM, by the koi pond where we stayed.

ImageGreat Plains Toad (Bufo - or Anaxyrus - cognatus) by ZantiMissKnit, on Flickr

ImageGreat Plains Toad (Bufo - or Anaxyrus - cognatus) by ZantiMissKnit, on Flickr

I can also send folks my records in HERP if they would like to help out.

That was all the herps we saw on Day 1, but we were up at dawn to start Day 2!

New Mexico at dawn…how gorgeous.

ImageDSC_0029DSC_0030 by ZantiMissKnit, on Flickr

There was a pair (!!!) of Saturnid moths on the sign of our lodge/RV park.

ImageSaturnid moth by ZantiMissKnit, on Flickr

We had a big breakfast at the Rodeo Café, and were rewarded shortly thereafter with our first herp of the day, and Lifer #7…and it was a great one!

ImageMexican Hog-Nosed Snake (Heterodon nasicus kennerlyi) by ZantiMissKnit, on Flickr

It seems as though not many folks found these on this trip. We considered ourselves extremely lucky to find this!

We headed out to the kickoff meeting, and found a couple of Lifer #8 on the fence.

ImageSchott's Tree Lizard (Urosaurus ornatus schotti) by ZantiMissKnit, on Flickr

We also reconnected with someone who used to sell books at our local reptile show (in New Hampshire!), who had very recently moved to the very area! Small world, indeed!

We went out fill up on gas after the meeting, and couldn’t resist flipping some railroad ties, one of which had something cool and scary underneath!

ImageScolopendra polymorpha, Desert Tiger by ZantiMissKnit, on Flickr

We went into the mountain forest, and saw the only scorpion of the trip.

ImageFlipped scorpion by ZantiMissKnit, on Flickr

We also saw Lifer #8 up there (I hadn’t IDed this one when I was putting my records in, so thanks to Mike for pursuing the ID and now I have a reminder to enter it!)

ImageSTRIPED PLATEAU LIZARD (Sceloporus virgatus) by ZantiMissKnit, on Flickr

We took up the former New Englander on his invitation to stop by, and took a walk around his recently acquired property, seeing a few more tree lizards and plateau lizards. We got a huge surprise as to what was by his front door when we returned!

ImageMexican Hog-Nosed Snake (Heterodon nasicus kennerlyi) by ZantiMissKnit, on Flickr

Not only did we get our lifer Mexican Hog-Nose earlier that day, but we saw a completely different one about 8 hours later!

Now, we don’t road cruise in Massachusetts. There’s really not a good place to do so (with the exception of one state park that you can go into after dark) and, as a whole, the state is too densely populated to be practical for road cruising (not to mention the Masshole drivers). Granted, I do think that road cruising is taxing on the eyes and the brain, but looking for herps while sitting on one’s butt is such a foreign concept to us.

That being said, road cruised herps mostly seem to just stay where they are so you can get an in situ shot.

Lifer #9 was found just before sunset.

ImageCheckered Garter Snake (Thamnophis m. marcianus) by ZantiMissKnit, on Flickr

A Herper herping (and making Popeye face).

ImageCheckered Garter Snake (Thamnophis m. marcianus) by ZantiMissKnit, on Flickr

Lifer #10 was found after dark…and was not too cooperative for a photograph. We couldn’t legally handle anything, or otherwise trap/corral it, so we let them do what they do and hope we can get a good in situ photo out of it.

ImageWestern Long-nosed Snake (Rhinocheilus lecontei) by ZantiMissKnit, on Flickr

We soon after did run into someone named on the scientific collection permit, who did have a very small version of this snake, so we could get a closer look (and better photo) of it.

ImageWestern Long-nosed Snake (Rhinocheilus lecontei) by ZantiMissKnit, on Flickr

Lifer #11 we found all over the road in NM, but not in AZ. I’m not sure why, but I’ll take it.

ImageCouch's Spadefoot (Scaphiopus couchii) by ZantiMissKnit, on Flickr

Lifer #12 was found in much smaller numbers.

ImageMexican Spadefoot (Spea multiplicata) by ZantiMissKnit, on Flickr

The next two are examples of Lifer #13, neither of which were found by us (we got our own vouchered find the next day). Gorgeous snakes, they acted so much different than the Mojaves we had been seeing.

ImageWestern Diamond-backed Rattlesnake (Crotalus atrox) by ZantiMissKnit, on Flickr

ImageWestern Diamond-backed Rattlesnake (Crotalus atrox) by ZantiMissKnit, on Flickr

Not a herp, but an amazing thing to observe…an unidentified tarantula locked in battle with a tarantula hawk!

ImageDSCN8851 by ZantiMissKnit, on Flickr

We saw this happen again, a few hours and several miles away.

ImageDSCN8859 by ZantiMissKnit, on Flickr

We saw another tarantula, that I think I have properly identified…road cruising for insects was as easy as road cruising for herps.

ImageMexican blonde tarantula (Aphonopelma chalcodes) by ZantiMissKnit, on Flickr

Lifer #14 has been described by a couple of folks as a “real screamer”. I don’t disagree at all; this was perfection in a serpentine form.

ImageDesert Kingsnake (Lampropeltis getula splendida) by ZantiMissKnit, on Flickr

ImageDesert Kingsnake (Lampropeltis Desert Kingsnake (Lampropeltis getula splendida) splendida) by ZantiMissKnit, on Flickr

It was also the last lifer of Day #2. We were doing pretty well here!

We started Day #3 with some cool birds.

Image#84 Gambel's Quail (Callipepla gambelii) by ZantiMissKnit, on Flickr

Image#85 Scaled Quail (Callipepla squamata) by ZantiMissKnit, on Flickr

Not all of the birds out there were lifers for us, but a good deal of them were. Mike added to his personal Big Year (he wants to photograph and identify 100 species of birds…he’s into the 90s now).

This place was pretty cool.

ImageDSC_0292 by ZantiMissKnit, on Flickr

Image#87 Black Chinned Hummingbird (Archilochus alexandri) by ZantiMissKnit, on Flickr

Imagewhite-lined sphinx moth, Hyles lineata by ZantiMissKnit, on Flickr

We also got Lifer #15 there.

ImageClark's Spiny Lizard (Sceloporus clarkii) by ZantiMissKnit, on Flickr

That evening, we cruised our own bitty atrox.

And a really tiny Scute.

Lifer #16 wasn’t found by us, and we unfortunately couldn’t find our own. However, I think it’s worth mentioning…

ImageBlack-tailed Rattlesnake (Crotalus molossus) by ZantiMissKnit, on Flickr

I don’t know how we got a decent photo of Lifer #17; these guys are pretty hyper.

ImageTantilla nigriceps by ZantiMissKnit, on Flickr

We also found another little Scute with a hockey temper before the night was out.

We overslept a little the next morning, and figured it would be too hot out to find any snakes. This gopher snake crossed the road in front of us and proved us wrong with Lifer #17!

ImageGopher Snake (Pituophis catinefer) by ZantiMissKnit, on Flickr

She was a little scrawny and deflated looking. We think she just deposited some eggs and was off looking for a decent meal. As I was checking to see if I had gotten a good in situ, she decided that she found a good hiding spot.

Really snake?

Am I still within the law if the snake corrals itself under my crossed legs?

We waited for her to move off the road before we moved on (in fact, we did this with every snake so we didn’t recognize any later DORs). Something else was crossing the road at this time…

ImageUntitled by ZantiMissKnit, on Flickr

Hey ,we don’t have Javelinas in Massachusetts!

We don’t have roadrunners either, but that doesn’t mean we won’t take crappy photos of one.

ImageRoadrunner (Geococcyx californianus) by ZantiMissKnit, on Flickr

(#93 on Mike’s big year, by the way).

The last lifer that was found by us, Lifer # 18.

ImageTexas Horned Lizard (Phrynosoma cornutum) by ZantiMissKnit, on Flickr

Because they’re just so darned cute!

And they poop, too!

I think that an Alligator Lizard would have been our next lifer, had we found the owner of this skin.

ImageAlligator Lizard skin by ZantiMissKnit, on Flickr

We also looked for Collared Lizards, but we were too slow with the camera and too burnt out and lazy to get out of the car and look in the heat.

There were a few other herps that were collected under the permit, that we photographed. Mike doesn’t consider them to be lifers for us because we weren’t there when they were found, but if we were, these would have been Lifers #19 – 23.

ImageBufo debilis insidior by ZantiMissKnit, on Flickr

ImageChihuahuan Hook-Nosed Snake (Gyalopion canum by ZantiMissKnit, on Flickr

ImageWestern Lyre Snake (Trimorphodon biscutatus) by ZantiMissKnit, on Flickr

ImageLined Coachwhip (Masticophis flagellum lineatulus) hatchling by ZantiMissKnit, on Flickr

ImageWestern Black-necked Garter Snake (Thamnophis c. cyrtopsis) by ZantiMissKnit, on Flickr

It was sad to hit the road. While we missed our friends, family and pets at home, we really didn’t feel quite ready to leave yet. We missed out on a few target species (Gilas, Green Rats, Corals, and others), but we now have some targets to go back for.

We also had some road stop signs.

ImageDSCN9038 by ZantiMissKnit, on Flickr

as well as Big Effin’ Rocks.

ImageDSCN9039 by ZantiMissKnit, on Flickr

I’m hoping for another trip there, if not in 2015, hopefully in 2016!
El Garia

Re: LECHs in the SW! (NAFHA National Meeting Report)

Post by El Garia »

Excellent post, Andrea! It's really nice to see that you and Mike had such a wonderful time on your first SW herp trip.

Very cool that you were able to encounter some of the iconic Southwest critters, like Horny Toads, Roadrunners, and Javelina. :thumb:

Derek
The Real Snake Man

Post by The Real Snake Man »

And after enjoying Mike's series on Facebook, I get to enjoy your post here on the Forum! Looked like a lot of fun both times. Thanks for sharing.
-Gene
muskiemagnet

Post by muskiemagnet »

really liked the hummer and the sphinx pix.

-ben
ZantiMissKnit

Post by ZantiMissKnit »

muskiemagnet wrote:really liked the hummer and the sphinx pix.

-ben
The bird shots (and most of the long-distance shots) are all Mike's. He uses the point and shoot with the 42x zoom; I have the Nikon D3200 that I need to REALLY spend some time learning this winter.

Thanks to everyone for the comments!
Tamara D. McConnell

Post by Tamara D. McConnell »

Looks like a totally exciting trip. So many amazing animals!
BillMcGighan

Post by BillMcGighan »

Looks like a really rewarding visit. :thumb:

PS
I think what we herper/birder people need are more things to carry by straps around our necks! :lol: :lol:
Brian Willey

Post by Brian Willey »

You guys did pretty well, two Hogs is awesome!
Ribbit

Post by Ribbit »

Loved it! Really captures that extra excitement of being in an area where all the animals are new to you.

John
Kyle from Carolina

Post by Kyle from Carolina »

Awesome. I agree with Ribbit. Must be sweet to see somewhere with all new critters. I can't wait to make it down there someday.
ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven »

I remember my first monsoon trip to AZ. It was like yours, everything a lifer. I ended up retiring here....hahah!