More from Brevard County

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

InfantryVeteran

More from Brevard County

Post by InfantryVeteran » September 15th, 2014, 5:00 pm

Unfortunately, the month of August was far to busy for me to do very much herping, however, I did manage a few finds.

Let's get started.

I decided to walk the canals inside my apartment complex to see what was out and about. I didn't see much with the exception of a Two-toed Amphiuma foraging in a shallow area. I observed some interesting behavior. There was a small piece of bread that was so waterlogged, it was laying on the bottom. The Amphiuma grabbed the bread and began doing a "death roll".

I came across a gorgeous Male Florida Box Turtle in Cocoa Beach while out doing a pest control stop. I got a few photos of him before releasing him back on his merry way. I love the Florida variety!

A few weeks ago I was driving through Melbourne Beach and the land Crabs were everywhere! They are cool and the colors were awesome!

These were some of the mammals that prevented me from herping last month. (Brazilian Free-tailed Bat) all bats are protected and were unharmed.

While fishing in the Indian River Lagoon, I got an unexpected surprise! 2 manatees began grazing right beside me!

Just a few feet away in the same lagoon was this Gator. He was 8-9 feet. It was awesome to see 2 Florida Staples in one spot.

Baby Racers were everywhere! This little one found his way in a church. What he lacked in size, he more than made up for in feistiness.

We had some awesome storms last month! I love photographing storm clouds as much as I like taking pictures of wildlife!

I flipped a brick at a customer's house and uncovered this Ringneck and Blind Snake.

I have been asked by a few FHF members to share some stories from my job (wildlife Removal Technician). Normally I try to keep my posts limited to reptiles, but this one was one of my strangest.

I got a call a few weeks ago from a customer who said he had a skunk inside his house. I said, did you actually see it? He said yes and that it had been walking down his hallway and into the kitchen for the past few nights.

I went to his house and searched high and low to find it, but it wasn't there. I did find a hole in the floor behind his washer where it was crawling up into the living space. I set two traps. At 3am he calls me to let me know it was trapped. When I got there, I was surprise to find not one, but TWO spotted Skunks in the traps! They were both so tiny but super cool! Both were released unharmed on his property and the hole was sealed up.
Disclaimer: Cell Phone picture. It's fur was covered in grape jelly, hence the wet appearance. FWI, if you ever need to trap a skunk, the best bait for them is grape jelly and Cheetos. Haha

On the 10th of September, I got a heartbreak. I found a gorgeous Cornsnake, hit and dead, INSIDE my apartment complex. Bummer.

And now we have arrived to the present time. Last night I went road cruising for the first time in 2 months. It was a fun little 2 hour trip. Note: I didn't expect much from the trip since it was pouring down rain.

Turns out, it wasn't a bust!

The first lifer I found was a gorgeous Peninsular Ribbon Snake! I Finally found a live one!

And the second lifer was this extremely red Florida Watersnake right on the border of Brevard and Indian River Counties! It was gorgeous!!

That concludes my post. Next week I hope to have an awesome post for you all next week! I will be finally crossing off a MAJOR item off of my bucket list! I will be traveling to the Everglades for some herping this weekend!

Hope you enjoyed it!

PrimitiveTim

Re: More from Brevard County

Post by PrimitiveTim » September 15th, 2014, 8:59 pm

Cool stuff! Seems like you're getting the hang of things! Have fun in SoFlo!

BillMcGighan

Post by BillMcGighan » September 16th, 2014, 4:23 am

Spotted Skunks are really a bonus to find in FL!!! :thumb:
FWI, if you ever need to trap a skunk, the best bait for them is grape jelly and Cheetos.
This is the sort of strange info that is really appreciated on these forums, filed away in the "ya never know when ya might need it" file cabinet! :)

Noah M

Post by Noah M » September 16th, 2014, 10:47 am

The first lifer I found was a gorgeous Peninsular Ribbon Snake! I Finally found a live one!
I know the feeling. They were out in force the time you found your live one (found one myself around that time) but for the past several months every one I've found was DOR. It seems like some snakes you just find over and over again DOR, and ribbons are one of them.

Great stuff, have fun in the 'glades. I bet you'll see some cool things.

simus343

Post by simus343 » September 16th, 2014, 11:47 am

Very nice post. Even though this is the field herp forum there are many posts the involve all animals, so I think it would be neat to see some more photos of what animals you encounter when receiving calls etc.

As far as Ribbon Snakes I have only even seen one crossing a path let alone a road haha, and they have got to be the most common snake I see, the Eastern Ribbon Snake, Thamnophis sauritus. Very shrubby areas with a lot of elephant ears and ferns next to lakes or swamps are the best for finding Easterns, at least within 20 miles of where I live. I think I found 2 peninsular ribbons last August in Ochlocknee State Park, but I'm not sure - peninsulars are the closest ID in guide books and the park seems on the extreme edge of their range according to my some of my guides.

Then for the black racer juvenile, I just love the colors. They certainly are feisty, I was looking at one that I caught, very closely and it bit, or at least tried to, my left eye. Felt like someone gave me a good poke in the eye haha.

lenrely

Post by lenrely » September 17th, 2014, 5:50 pm

Incredible finds. I miss FL so much.