Michigan record gaps

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Jefferson

Michigan record gaps

Post by Jefferson » September 18th, 2014, 8:01 am

To all, I've noticed that in the Michigan herp atlas, every county is filled in, and all but one county have vouchers. To remedy the disparity, I'm trying to get MI fully vouchered in the naherp database and have personally filled in three counties in the past month. If anyone has seen good stuff and taken pictures in Roscommon, Charlevoix, Alcona, Bay, Arenac, Marquette, Mississaukee, or Ionia counties, could you please make some vouchered records. We're only eight counties away; let's beat Wisconsin and Indiana! Lord knows that we might not be able to beat them in football this year, so let's get them in herps!
Jefferson

Jefferson

Re: Michigan record gaps

Post by Jefferson » September 20th, 2014, 2:47 pm

Just an emendation to my prior remarks here: Antrim, Charleviox, Alcona, and Marquette counties have been vouchered since my last post. Only Bay, Arenac, Roscommon, Mississaukee, and Ionia county stand between MI and a fully recorded state in naherp.

Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs » October 2nd, 2014, 10:40 pm

Good job...keep it up. When you finish with MI you can help us finish NE and KS... :thumb:

ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven » October 13th, 2014, 4:49 pm

Easy to get herps in those counties. In the old days we used to take slides and stills. Sorry I don't have those pics anymore... :(

TC

ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven » October 13th, 2014, 4:50 pm

If you still need them next spring, let me know.

Jefferson

Post by Jefferson » October 14th, 2014, 7:08 am

Thank you for the kind offer, but it's a long trek from Southern AZ. In all likelihood, we won't be able to get any records until the spring, at which time we'll need them. If you just means sending in some old shots, that's good, but driving from Arizona when Michigan has at least 50 herpers who could get the job done (I've already filled in Genessee, Gratiot, and Iosco myself) is ridiculous.

ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven » October 14th, 2014, 4:44 pm

I've only lived in AZ since 2008, and I usually come back to MI either in the Spring or in July, for visits. In 2014 I managed to get records in MI's U.P., L.P., IN, IL, and WS. I'm one of MI's oldest herpers, along with a couple old guys at MSU, my friend Eddie Sanchez, and a few others. At one point I lived in Missaukee County and had a nice record of a hognose, but don't know where those pics are anymore. I also saw many garters, ribbons, turtles, and frogs, living near Lk. Missaukee. I've herped in Bay County a lot also and have seen lots of herps there, especially near the state park. So, anyway, I might be able to just pass through and get a few records for counties you need.

Remembering old times is fun for me. One time my youngest brother and I caught two melanistic garters and five adult Eastern fox snakes under one rock which was only about 12 inches square. A fox snake and at least one garter got away too. There was a hibernaculum under the rock. Best rock I ever flipped in MI was at our place, Afton Farm, in Cheboygan County. Got thirteen snakes under it and it too was about a foot square.

Later....Terry (PS: Will be gone after Wednesday for a couple weeks.)

Jefferson

Post by Jefferson » October 15th, 2014, 7:52 am

I might be able to get Bay County myself in the spring, but that's about it. I'm actually only just 18 myself, but I've been herping since age 10 (focus on salamanders mostly), and I already have a nostalgic feeling about many of the places that I've herped. The thoughts of the Smoky Mountains after a rain, a Michigan vernal pool late at night with the smell of witch-hazel and Black Walnut trees in your nose, or the slopes of the Blue Ridge take me back in a flash. That rock with the snakes was sure a good one. My best log was in GSMNP on the NC side of the park. One log, fifteen salamanders of three species (Imitator, Gray-Cheeked, Dusky).
All the best, Jefferson

justinm

Post by justinm » October 16th, 2014, 2:08 pm

Where's the Nick Scobel at when you need him?

Jefferson

Post by Jefferson » October 17th, 2014, 7:15 am

Yeah, I bet he would have records for all of these counties. I have only talked to him twice, but through those conversations, I have developed a great respect for him. If there ever was a herper who cared about his sites and the stability of the population more than the numbers on his scorecard, it's him. I lost his number a while back, but I'll email him and see if he has any of those counties.
Jefferson

jason folt

Post by jason folt » October 19th, 2014, 3:39 pm

Herpers are funny.

I have a few of these, but it takes a specific effort to personally hit every county in a state. Hard to get records this time of year. Maybe in spring.