4 meter Black Mamba (DOR)

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

LouB747

4 meter Black Mamba (DOR)

Post by LouB747 »

A friend I fly with is from South Africa. He came upon this DOR the other day. He says he's seen quite a few mambas in his lifetime, but this was easily the biggest. Too bad there's nothing in the pic to give it any scale.

soulsurvivor

Re: 4 meter Black Mamba (DOR)

Post by soulsurvivor »

13 feet? Wow! :shock: That's about their max size isn't it? What a shame. :(
LouB747

Post by LouB747 »

Yeah. Doesn't really look that long in the photo. He said it was thicker than his upper arm.
TeeJay

Post by TeeJay »

Simple... post a photo of the guys upper arm for comparison. :D
dery

Post by dery »

I'm guessing the dead leaves in the background are about 6". I agree with Bree on the length.
JakeScott

Post by JakeScott »

You can tell that's a massive snake. Just has the big snake "look."

-Jake
stoker

Post by stoker »

Without a scale placed beside the snake for reference, this is not evidence of a 4 metre Black Mamba. It is only evidence of a road-killed adult Black Mamba. Can we please try and keep it scientific guys.
LouB747

Post by LouB747 »

You've made 1 post, and this is it, "please keep it scientific." I'm not trying to debate the size. I've never seen a black mamba. I just thought I'd post what a good friend saw and stated. He sees lots of snakes and said this one was huge, 4 meters. I thought others might like seeing the pic.
Hans Breuer (twoton)

Post by Hans Breuer (twoton) »

LouB747 wrote:You've made 1 post, and this is it, "please keep it scientific." I'm not trying to debate the size. I've never seen a black mamba. I just thought I'd post what a good friend saw and stated. He sees lots of snakes and said this one was huge, 4 meters. I thought others might like seeing the pic.
And we did. Don't pay him any heed, Lou. Sundays can be very long in some places of the world :-)
stoker

Post by stoker »

Hi Lou,
Sorry to get off on the wrong foot.
Let me address your reply point by point.
"You've made 1 post, and this is it,"......
Yes, that's because I specifically registered with Field Herp Forum to make that post.
' "......please keep it scientific" '
Yes, I make no apologies for demanding rigorous scientific standards when evaluating evidence about herpetology or any other scientific discipline.
"I'm not trying to debate the size"
Excuse me, but your original post did have the rather unambiguous title "4 meter Black Mamba (DOR)", so I just naturally assumed a claim like that would be accompanied with irrefutable evidence.
For the record Lou, it may well have been 4 metres, but there is no way I am accepting that claim without evidence. Ridicule me all you like.
"I thought others might like seeing the pic"
You can include me in that demographic too, as I absolutely loved it. What a beautiful magnificent snake. Thank you so much for posting it.
I hope that clears up all the issues you had with my post.
Kind Regards,
Stoker
Hans Breuer (twoton)

but your original post did have the rather unambiguous title "4 meter Black Mamba (DOR)", so I just naturally assumed a claim like that would be accompanied with irrefutable evidence.
"A claim like that" - like what,exactly? He didn't claim to show a new species of mamba, just a pretty big one.
And "naturally assumed"? I'd love to live in the perfect world do you live in :-)
Lighten up, man. There's enough Teutons in the world already :-)

Hans, probably falling for yet another troll again
stoker

Post by stoker »

Hi Hans,
Ok, point taken, I'll drop it. I didn't mean any offense, I've just found those "maximum size" snake stories can take on a life of their own if you don't keep an eye on them (it's a bit of a pet hate of mine). I love your posts by the way.
No hard feelings
Stoker
Hans Breuer (twoton)

Pet peeves....hard to escape those, I know.

Thanks for the compliment!
LouB747

Post by LouB747 »

I won't mention the size of this one. My friend in S Africa who sent me the photo says it was taken in Nelspruit. Is it a mamba? While I realize the fence is further back, it sure looks big.

And I agree, most posts overrate the size.

Stohlgren

Post by Stohlgren »

The above photo has made the rounds and been used in a fair number of fabricated stories. Apparently it is actually a snake sculpture placed along a roadside in Australia (http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/kingbrown.asp).
LouB747

Post by LouB747 »

Thought it looked strange. A bit shiney and un mamba like in appearance. Thanks for sharing. I'll send him that info. He's not into snakes, but knows I am.
chrish

Post by chrish »

LouB747 wrote:You've made 1 post, and this is it, "please keep it scientific." .
That is an unfair characterization. He's made 5 posts now, three of which are on this thread.
The other one is a photo of a "supposedly" 1.8 M dor Taipan.....with absolutely no size references in the photo. :lol:
simus343

Post by simus343 »

Yeah, that second "pic" looks almost like a snake from the movie Anaconda haha.

The first one though, I'll take Lou's word though if he can vouche for his friend, he has provided plenty of accurate and believable pictures and established plenty of credibility himself.

Such a shame that that mamba was DOR :cry:. They are on my bucket list of snakes to see before I die.
stoker

Post by stoker »

chrish wrote:
LouB747 wrote:You've made 1 post, and this is it, "please keep it scientific." .
That is an unfair characterization. He's made 5 posts now, three of which are on this thread.
The other one is a photo of a "supposedly" 1.8 M dor Taipan.....with absolutely no size references in the photo. :lol:
Skull of dor 2.1m Taipan. Coen Cape York Peninsula