Columbus Day Weekend Herping in FL - Anyone Interested?

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

mtratcliffe

Columbus Day Weekend Herping in FL - Anyone Interested?

Post by mtratcliffe » September 25th, 2014, 4:57 pm

Hey All,

The wife and kid are going to be out of town for Columbus Day Weekend, and I have Sat-Mon off, so I'm hoping to do some herping on one of those days. Sunday is off-limits, as I'm going to the Ravens game here in Tampa. Saturday I plan on kayaking, though I could move that to Monday.

Anyway, I haven't herped with anyone here in FL yet, and I'd love to meet up with some of you all at some point, and this is a good opportunity. I'm game for anything within about 2 hrs of Tampa, so about as far north as the areas around Gainesville and probably nothing south of Port Charlotte. Let me know if you have plans to herp and are willing to have company. Otherwise, I'm going to check out some nature preserves/WMAs north of Tampa. I'd also love to do some daytime road cruising in good habitat, but I'll only do that if I'm with someone else as roadcruising alone can be maddening and I honestly don't know any of the good spots.

Here's a picture of my son and one of a FL Watersnake I caught with a minnow trap near my house as tribute!

BillMcGighan

Re: Columbus Day Weekend Herping in FL - Anyone Interested?

Post by BillMcGighan » September 26th, 2014, 5:55 am

Can't help Columbus day, but the boy is definitely a keeper!!! :)

PrimitiveTim

Re: Columbus Day Weekend Herping in FL - Anyone Interested?

Post by PrimitiveTim » September 26th, 2014, 8:59 am

I'm kind of at the edge of our herping range... I should have that day off so if you want to head east I'm over in north Brevard County.