Attention Houston area herpers

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

MAbernathy

Attention Houston area herpers

Post by MAbernathy » September 26th, 2014, 12:26 pm

Howdy

It's been awhile since I've been on here, but I wanted to touch base with the Houston area folks. I recently started with Houston Parks Dept in the new Natural Resource Management Program. My main focus is assisting with developing the Natural Resources Management Operations Manual and conducting assessments of properties to develop resource management plans.

Regarding natural area assessments, we are hoping to start getting species data for all of the City parks, so I wanted to put a couple of things out there.

First, I will be posting on here for large scale events such as bioblitz's to drum up some herpers to assist.
Secondly, we are working on an iNaturalist for Houston Parks, so when it goes live, I'll post that as well.

In the mean time, if you find yourself at an City of Houston park, and spot some herps (or anything else) would you please send me an e-mail ([email protected]) with what you saw?

Also, we are considering setting up some board surveys in some of the parks, but will need some help monitoring them, so if you would be interested in helping with that, please e-mail me as well.

Thanks
Matt Abernathy

John Williams

Re: Attention Houston area herpers

Post by John Williams » September 26th, 2014, 5:42 pm

Good to hear and look forward to any results you produce. It might be worthwhile to place a complete park list on this thread so we know what's what.