Some recent Australian highlights

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Jazz

Some recent Australian highlights

Post by Jazz »

Myself and my partner have been on a few herping trips lately and I thought id put up a few of the highlights.

I'll start with the local stuff. I've just done a couple of pretty dismal nights herping around Brisbane so far.

As there isn't too much to find I've been able to experiment with some astrophotography a bit. Here's a perons tree frog with star trails behind, a lengthy exposure that I would only recommend if you have a good TV series to watch or a book to read.

ImagePerons Tree Frog by jasmine_vink, on Flickr

There has been a couple of snakes out though! I finally found a Bandy Bandy, a common species that has eluded me up until now. They have the unique defense mechanism of 'looping up' which I didn't get a photo of of course.

ImageBandy bandy by jasmine_vink, on Flickr

The laughing tree frogs are all starting to come out in force as well! Perons and tyleri can both be easily found, and definitely heard...

ImageTylers Tree Frog by jasmine_vink, on Flickr

ImagePerons Tree Frog by jasmine_vink, on Flickr

That's all I've photographed in Brissy so far! I'm sure there will be more to come

A few weeks earlier though we headed out to Darwin for a few days, I hadn't seen a frilly before so I was stoked to find this little guy chilling on a fence.

ImageJuvenile frill neck lizard by jasmine_vink, on Flickr

ImageJuvinile frill necked lizard by jasmine_vink, on Flickr

From Darwin we headed out to Kununarra where we found this gorgeous Olive out hunting in a rock crevice.

I've been wanting to experiment with astrophotography for a while now so was happy to get the chance.

ImageAn olive python from west kimberley by jasmine_vink, on Flickr

In the morning we found another individual out basking.

ImageOlive Python in habitat by jasmine_vink, on Flickr

I also had the opportunity to photograph my first golden tree. A stinky stinky experience as always.

Imagegolden tree snake by jasmine_vink, on Flickr

On this trip we also found a few more snakes, northern small eyed, olive whip and water python plus a few geckos including a northern beaked. However, the highlight was definitely finding my first small monitors, a primordius and a baritji. We were lucky enough to find these both emerging from burrows under rocks to bask in the afternoon sun.

Imagevaranus primordius by jasmine_vink, on Flickr

Imagevaranus baritji by jasmine_vink, on Flickr

I'm also a frog lover so here's a few common species we found along the way.

ImageLitoria rothii by jasmine_vink, on Flickr

I love the diversity of colour in this species.

ImageLitoria rothii by jasmine_vink, on Flickr

These guys were wedged into rock crevices. You could find 10-20 at a time during the day and at night the ground was covered in them! Heaven for me

ImageLitoria coplandi by jasmine_vink, on Flickr

An unusually pretty gtf

ImageGreen tree frog by jasmine_vink, on Flickr

The sky's were just gorgeous out in East Kimberley, I couldn't help but try (unsuccessfully) to capture it.

ImageKatherine, NT by jasmine_vink, on Flickr

A few weeks after we got back from Darwin we decided to head out west a little bit into the Brigalow (we live in brissy) for my bday. As it was still a little cold and there hadn't been much rain we weren't expecting a great deal. I was pleasantly surprised with our haul and I managed to get a few new species!

We nicknamed this fatty 'Pokemon frog' he's actually a desert spadefoot toad, a new species.

ImageCommon Spade Foot Toad by jasmine_vink, on Flickr

We also found a single ornate burrowing frog out a little early.

ImageOrnate Burrowing Frog by jasmine_vink, on Flickr

After frogging for a bit we managed to find this golden tailed gecko, a new species and genus for me. I was pretty damn happy with this!

ImageGolden Tailed Gecko by jasmine_vink, on Flickr

ImageGolden Tailed Gecko by jasmine_vink, on Flickr

The next night we found at least 10 of my second species for the genus, a Williamsi. All of the strophurus are just stunning.

ImageEastern Spiny Tailed Gecko by jasmine_vink, on Flickr

We found a fair few of these adorable steindachneri on the road as well. This little cutie sat up for me and wagged his tail for the camera.

ImageBox Patterned Gecko by jasmine_vink, on Flickr

We only found a couple of snakes, a curl, furina and a dwyers. I only bothered to photograph the dwyers as it was a new species. There must have been a little rain as there were fields covered in these gorgeous purple wild flowers.

ImageDwyers Snake by jasmine_vink, on Flickr

That's all the Aussie herps for the season so far. It's only just starting to warm up though so the list should get longer in the coming weeks!
NACairns

Re: Some recent Australian highlights

Post by NACairns »

What a spectacular series. Thank you for sharing.
simus343

Post by simus343 »

Absolutely love that Olive Python with the star filled sky in the background. It makes me miss camping in the mountains of NSW, compared to here in NW Florida where its darn impossible to not get some glare from a city.
Jeroen Speybroeck

Post by Jeroen Speybroeck »

Stunning! Love that golden tailed gecko.
chrish

Post by chrish »

Very nice series, Jasmine.

Thanks for taking the extra time with those photos. They are really special.
VanAR

Post by VanAR »

Great shots! I also love the python/night sky photo. How did you produce those night shots so that the flash properly exposed the animal and foreground, but did not wash out the night sky in the background? That seems very difficult from a technical standpoint but I'm fascinated with the result.
orionmystery

Post by orionmystery »

Great stuff. Esp love the geckos!
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Hey everyone! Thanks for all of the lovely feedback :)

In regards to the astrophotography it does take a bit of trial and error to get it right. It uses the same principles of star trails though so if you do a bit of research into them you should be able to figure out how to do it!
PrimitiveTim

Post by PrimitiveTim »

Awesome photos! I just recognized some of your photos from instagram. I already follow. You post some awesome photos there! Everyone should go follow her at wildlifekittens. Her account has nothing to do with kittens btw (almost). The vast majority is herps. I love the long exposure with the stars and the herps. Ugh, I have to go to Australia!
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

The pictures of animals are brilliant and the night ones, oh, they almost hurt to look at.

Thank you for sharing these - I hope there is more to come.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Haha primitive tim, that name is familiar!

Yeah i foster care for a no kill rescue and am a huge advocate for responsible pet ownership, desexing, indoor only ect. So thats where the kittens comes from :)

Im am really loving the astro so im glad you guys appreciate it as well!

Australia really is a herpers heaven, if you head over my way id be happy to take you out.
chrish

Post by chrish »

Question about your herp/sky photography...

Do you expose the herp at the beginning or end of the exposure and do you use flashlight or the camera flash?
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Expose at the beginning and with 3 flashes :)