Show Us Your Rattlesnake FIELD Pics and Video of 2014

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

John Delgado

Show Us Your Rattlesnake FIELD Pics and Video of 2014

Post by John Delgado »

Hello Field Herpers... I am new to this sight, FieldHerpForum came highly recommended by a friend on another web Forum where I am an active member since 2007.

I am also new to Field Herping, and before 2014... you could have asked what the meaning of 'field herping' is, and I seriously would NOT have known... not in my wildest guess would I have even come close to the meaning field herping :lol:

One more thing... As I said, I am new to field herping, so if you see me doing something wrong in one of my vids, or you have a suggestion of what I should do, or shouldn't do... please... it's okay. I am a FIRM believer in constructive criticism. And any suggestion that can help me, and in turn helps my rattlesnakes... please... by all means. I am here to show you guys some video and pics, but I am (very important) here to LEARN...! :)

So... Now that the 2014 Rattlesnake Season is over... please show the pics and video you collected - And let's hear them stories too...!

Here is 1 VIDEO and 1 PIC from my 2014 Season... and I have much-much more... enjoy...,

pete

Re: Show Us Your Rattlesnake FIELD Pics and Video of 2014

Post by pete »

I love your enthusiasm! You can get great pics without tonging and hooking the snakes though. They seem tough and durable, but you can cause them serious spinal trauma handling them in that manner. If you really need to mess with them use the hook and tongs together to give the snake more support.
Keep enjoying herping, but try for a less obtrusive approach. :)

P.S. That snake is stunning!!!!!
John Delgado

Post by John Delgado »

Yes... thank you - After the season I had time to edit all the video footage collected from the year. I did notice that handling the rattlers was... a little much. So... this next season, I plan on doing exactly as you suggest and handle the snakes much-much less.

The ones I do handle, I will be much more gentle with them... will work on 'less is good' I have some ideas, that will be much better for them.

Thank you for your suggestion... really great forum web site here.

But... oh ya... this rattler in the pic, and the still on the video... both are of a rattler I named 'Travis' - He reminded me of Travis Bikle of 1976 movie 'Taxi Driver' starring Robert De Niro - 'You talking to me...huh, I'm the only one here...huh - I'm faster than you'

Travis was my favorite rattler of 2014... I do so hope I will see him again. I look for him every time I go to the location where I found him.

Absolutely a gorgeous rattler... "stunning" is a good word, describes Travis to the T

Here is the full Travis video...

Noah M

Post by Noah M »

This is prolly one of my better rattlers from the year. Also, I don't even own a snake hook or set of tongs. I used a stick (a rather long stick) to scoot it off of the road after taking these pictures.
simus343

Post by simus343 »

Again just handling in general as noted. If the snake is seen in the open already then okay, but if the snake is coiled under some bushes or in rocks already, chances are it is trying to properly thermoregulate or wait in ambush. Crotalus adamanteus have been noted to seek game trails used by cotton rats and wait in ambush along areas of high rat-traffic. If disturbed in such ares the snake may be inclined to leave thus leaving the area which it deemed most suitable for its activities. Snakes in such situations I myself prefer to just leave and take some good pictures of.

Also, narrow tongs work well for rattlers the size you are finding, but when I find large 5ft+ Crotalus adamanteus, or if you find a particularly large rattlesnake then some wider tongs may help, especially if you are in a hurry to get the snake off a busy road. I still have some narrow collapsible tongs that I use on areas such as the Eglin Reservation where I can take my time and move a rattlesnake off a dirt road where a hunter or base personnel may deliberately run it over. I also have some tongs that are wide and padded so that I can grab a Diamondback off a busy highway and get out of the way of the next vehicle coming along.

Overall it is really nice to see so much enthusiasm and appreciation for venomous snakes :D. One thing I really like particularly is that, with snakes such as Betty, you seem to move them a fair bit off the path where uneducated people may encounter and molest them in negative manner, or even deliberately kill them.
John Delgado

Post by John Delgado »

2015 will be a good year... I will accept the challenge to NOT handle the rattlers... but, it's not going to be easy. Haha... a good and sensible challenge is never easy... but like I said previous... what is good for my rattlers, is good for me.

The area my wife Denise and I frequent is about a 150,000 acre BLM Property. And within that property is an area that Denise and I stumbled on one day while we went for a hike. We were NOT looking for rattlers at all. In the first OP video above is a clip from the main vid on the really GREAT day in May of 2013. Then... the following year 2014 when, as I said, we were not even looking for rattlesnakes. Ohhhhhhhhhh... but our destiny invited us there, and the area we found is about... mmmmmm 2 miles X 4 miles within that 150,000 acre BLM land. It is a virtual cornucopia of rattlesnakes.

Below is the full 2013 video... in this video, HEY... it was the first time me and Denise aver seen a rattlesnake. We knew they were out there, we had... "HAD" a great fear of them, and so... we wanted to see one in their natural habitat to try and get over the fear. It was a personal hurtle. Then after this video... the study.

And so... began our relentless study of rattlesnakes; we read, we watch countless video... we talk to people on the trail to share what we know. We spread the word about rattlesnakes that are actually shy, humble, reclusive hermits. We listen to those that are in the know to learn more... anything and everything about rattlesnakes ---► and is why I am here. I am here to LEARN from you nice folks.

So, okay... our FIRST ever encounter with a rattlesnake. You can hear Denise in the background begging me to "get away!" and she is just... hhahhaaa... it's so embarrassing... hahaha - this is hilarious :lol:

BEST to follow link to YouTube and go 1080p in HD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWoS_niaBE8
LouB747

Post by LouB747 »

You guys know the feeling....

John Delgado

Post by John Delgado »

Wow Lou... NICE ↑↑↑ Red Diamond Back... what a BEAUTY...!

But the Singapore exotics on your YouTube Channel are amazing...

That Blue Coral and especially ---► the Kopsteins Bronzeback My FAV...!

I NEVER even heard of either them species before... nice job :)
John Delgado

Post by John Delgado »

GREAT shots, thank you for posting... I'm liking this ↓↓↓ one the best... really great close up :shock:
captainjack0000 wrote:Image

This is prolly one of my better rattlers from the year. Also, I don't even own a snake hook or set of tongs. I used a stick (a rather long stick) to scoot it off of the road after taking these pictures.
John Martin

Post by John Martin »

Haha, you and your wife are beautiful! :beer: The enthusiasm you two displayed in your "first encounter" video gave me an ear to ear grin that is still on my face. Reminds me of my reaction upon finding my first Timber Rattlesnake back in, uh :roll: , 1963 - a stunning 4' yellow individual basking on a logging slab pile in southern Ohio. And kudos for spreading the wise words to those who might otherwise kill them.
ThamnElegans24

Post by ThamnElegans24 »

Here's some highlights from this year.

Red Diamond

Twin-spot

Mohave

Black-tails

Prairies

Arizona Blacks

Sidewinder

Banded Rock

Tiger

Noah M

Post by Noah M »

Do you want Sistrurus too? Here is one from last month found crossing a Florida road.

John Delgado

Post by John Delgado »

John Martin wrote:Haha, you and your wife are beautiful! :beer: The enthusiasm you two displayed in your "first encounter" video gave me an ear to ear grin that is still on my face. Reminds me of my reaction upon finding my first Timber Rattlesnake back in, uh :roll: , 1963 - a stunning 4' yellow individual basking on a logging slab pile in southern Ohio. And kudos for spreading the wise words to those who might otherwise kill them.
Ahhh ya gee... thank you... but it's my wife Denise she's the "beautiful" one... I'm an OGER :mrgreen: :lol:

That day of May, 2013... still fresh in my mind like yesterday, and I shall always cherish that amazing encounter our first rattlesnake.

We love talking to people on the trail... we always ask passers by "seen any rattlesnakes?" The look back we get haha... and they reply "rattlesnakes ??? there's rattlesnakes here...???" :shock:

We calm them, and reassure them... I'm sure you know the routine... we confirm that rattlers are dangerous and should be respected in that light etc. We explain the bad wrap rattlesnakes have endured through the many years, then we affirm that rattlers are actually shy, reclusive... humble hermits... and then we rebuild their knowledge.

The great thing is people ALWAYS have question, they are always interested in talking about rattlesnakes. I think it's that they realize that they have been misinformed about rattlers is why the immense interest. It sure makes our job much easier, and it's fun.
LouB747

Post by LouB747 »

ZirconJohn wrote:Wow Lou... NICE ↑↑↑ Red Diamond Back... what a BEAUTY...!

But the Singapore exotics on your YouTube Channel are amazing...

That Blue Coral and especially ---► the Kopsteins Bronzeback My FAV...!

I NEVER even heard of either them species before... nice job :)
Thanks for the nice comments. I consider myself lucky to have seen those. Hoping to find more next week when I get back there.

Thanks again, Lou
John Delgado

Post by John Delgado »

Well Sir... I must say you take some very nice pics... good job, my compliments :)

I have been looking and looking at these pics... and I just can't decide which ones I like the best. However, I am (just like everybody) partial to the Arizona Black Rattlesnake... and who isn't :lol:

So... my fav's are the two below. GREAT example of the color variation from young to old.

I'm in Northern California and as you know we have only one sub species here The NorPac - C. o. oreganus - I love my rattlers... hahaha my cornucopia of rattlers... Rattlesnake City. The wife and I just have a wonderful time up there... we have about a 3 mile x 6 mile section of 200 square mile BLM... THICK with NorPacs and they aint nobody around... nobody.

My great dream in life is to see in person the Northern Mojave (green), the Tiger and of course... have to have to see the Arizona Black Rattlesnake up close LIVE and in person... what a magnificent species.
ThamnElegans24 wrote:Here's some highlights from this year.

Arizona Blacks

John Delgado

Post by John Delgado »

A few pics from my local Rattlesnake City...

This is Sylvester - My wife and I call Sylvester 'Our Baby' / File #02 and #02A on my You Tube Channel ---► https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCohUvA ... sYEmqzwjHg

He located himself under some big rocks next to a picnic table area at a BLM Park where he undoubtedly had PLENTY of rodents to feed on. Sylvester measured 43" w/o the rattle and girth size measured at 11"... ohhh he was is a heathy boyyy...! We were able to visit him on 3 different occasions in a 2 week span... then he moved on. We hope to see Sylvester again next spring.

This is Randy - My wife and I call him 'Randy from Red Mountain' / File #03 on my You Tube Channel ---► https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCohUvA ... sYEmqzwjHg

We don't have various species/sub species up here in Northern California like they have in SoCal and Arizona. And as you know, we have only the Northern Pacific C. o. oreganus. However, the rattlesnakes in this area of a 3 mile X 6 mile area within a 300 sq. mile BLM Property are diverse in overall pattern color. Randy is from Red Mountain, aptly named for red/orange color soil. Randy perfectly matches the ground color of Red Mountain.

John Delgado

Post by John Delgado »

captainjack0000 wrote:
Do you want Sistrurus too? Here is one from last month found crossing a Florida road.

Yes... yes of course. A rattlesnake is a rattlesnake... Genus of Sistrurus.

From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ra ... subspecies
List of Rattlesnake Species and Subspecies
This list of rattlesnake species and subspecies includes the genera Crotalus and Sistrurus. It follows the taxonomy currently provided by ITIS, which is based on the continuing work of Dr. Roy McDiarmid.

From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sistrurus_ ... s_barbouri
Sistrurus miliarius barbouri
Common names
Florida ground rattlesnake, southeastern ground rattlesnake, pygmy rattlesnake, Barbour's pygmy rattlesnake, dusky pygmy rattlesnake, ground rattlesnake, hog-nosed rattler, pygmy ground rattlesnake, pygmy rattler, small rattlesnake.

As I said in the OP... I am here to learn. Anything and everything rattlesnakes will forever be new to me.

And GREAT pics by the way... Denise really loves the mauve color on the dorsal pattern... very beautiful pattern and color. And such a little guy too :lol:

This next video... is not my video. It is one I found on YouTube... look at that pattern and color ---► GORGEOUS...!

Follow link to You Tube and go FULL SCREEN for best results... nice video...,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZ3x0vT_MtY
Nick Scobel

Post by Nick Scobel »

Living as far north as I do, my state doesn't have much in terms of rattlesnake diversity. We have one species, but it is a species which is in bad shape across its range with the exception of here and Ontario. And even so, they still face threats here such as habitat loss and development, road mortality, and persecution by humans. I'm pretty fortunate to see eastern massasaugas every year across my state, but there's one area that's particularly special. Massasaugas are usually associated with damp, open canopy habitats such as wet meadows, fens, bogs, and conifer swamps. But at this particular population, the snakes have set up shop in an upland deciduous forest and seem to hunt rodents, including chipmunks. This closed canopy habitat is pretty unusual for this species, and it's certainly a unique setting to find one.

ImageEastern Massasauga Rattlesnake by Nick Scobel, on Flickr

ImageFall Massasauga Habitat by Nick Scobel, on Flickr

John Delgado

Post by John Delgado »

Nick Scobel wrote:Living as far north as I do, my state doesn't have much in terms of rattlesnake diversity. We have one species, but it is a species which is in bad shape across its range with the exception of here and Ontario. And even so, they still face threats here such as habitat loss and development, road mortality, and persecution by humans. I'm pretty fortunate to see eastern massasaugas every year across my state, but there's one area that's particularly special. Massasaugas are usually associated with damp, open canopy habitats such as wet meadows, fens, bogs, and conifer swamps. But at this particular population, the snakes have set up shop in an upland deciduous forest and seem to hunt rodents, including chipmunks. This closed canopy habitat is pretty unusual for this species, and it's certainly a unique setting to find one.

Image[url=https://flic.kr/p/pjw2qo]
GREAT close-up shot Nick... out-STANDING...!

One thing on the You Tube video... click the edit button on your post (lower right) go in and delete the 's' part of https:// and that will fix it so others can play your video on this thread.

I know how you feel with the single species of rattlesnake... as I've stated in a previous post, in Northern California we have the Northern Pacific C. o. oreganus (NorPac for short). The lack of diversity in species leaves me feeling a little left out, but... I have to look at the bright side. The NorPac, compared to the 8 various Southern California rattlesnakes, not to mention the 13 various species of Arizona... (given the like species that border both States) As you can see... I'm so close... but yet so far away, in terms of species diversity.
Denise and I do so hope and pray that one day soon we will go to SoCal or AZ and have us a look around... find us some CA Northern Mojave, some Southern Pacific, some AZ Tiger... and for sure... I have to... just GOTTA see an Arizona Black Rattlesnake.

However, we are in NorCal home of NorPacs... and so... Denise and I do thank our lucky stars for a couple things;

1. The NorPacs are relatively docile warm puppies compared to some of the SoCal and AZ rattlers. And my wife and are new to field herping, let alone herping for rattlesnakes... WHO does that...!?! So in that sense we are fortunate that we get to cut our teeth on the somewhat friendly NorPacs.
2. We are very close to a Rattlesnake City... a virtual cornucopia of rattlesnakes, it's all BLM Property and nobody around. At any given location of the trails we frequent, we are only 45 minutes from the nearest Hospital, walk to truck and drive time taken into consideration. So... should the unfortunate happen, may God forbid, we are good for immediate care.

The Massasauga Rattlesnake in your neck of the woods is lucky to have you to help spread the word about the misunderstanding that people have about rattlesnakes in general. It's a special calling to have been invited special by Mother Nature herself. Two years ago Nick... fact-true statement... if someone two years ago would have said to me; you will be a snake hunter... you will hunt, locate, photograph and video rattlesnakes and learn about their plight of the encroaching civilization, you will write, you will meet and talk to people along trails, lakes, streams, sidewalks and coffee shops... and you will explain to people the reality of rattlesnakes. ---► I would'a said "HA - YOUR NUTS...!!!" :lol:

I am lucky, and I thank God... that Mother Nature picked ME...!

Great pics Nick... thank you for posting, share this forum and this thread with your friends.... and spread the word 'Rattlesnakes are Gods most misunderstood creature... rattlesnakes are shy, reclusive... humble hermits'
John Delgado

Post by John Delgado »

Please allow me to post more pics of THE STAR of my 2014 season...,

Travis - File #05 on my You Tube Channel ---► https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCohUvA ... sYEmqzwjHg

Travis was THE first rattlesnake I found while on my own, the first time without my wife Denise, of whom is also my trusted rattlesnake hunting partner.

She was, for obvious reason, worried about me going out on my own in case something (don't say it) happened. And I have to admit, I did have some apprehension about going out... just me... and... the rattlesnake. So, I made a promise that I would NOT handle the rattlesnake 'with my hands' using the Pillstrom right hand, and tail hold with the left hand. NOTE: I don't handle rattlers from behind the head, I know better! - To tell you the truth, I don't think I would have attempted to hold Travis even with someone with me... he was a very intimidating rattler for me the first time rattlesnake field herper :lol:

I've said this previous, and I'll say it a hundred times again... I hope and I pray that I will get to see Travis again in my future... hopefully in the 2015 season. Every time I go out in the area where I found Travis... I always look for him.

To quote pete (previous post) "that snake is stunning!!!!!"

Coluber Constrictor

Post by Coluber Constrictor »

John Delgado

Post by John Delgado »

Coluber Constrictor wrote:
Big EDB from the Conecuh National Forest in Alabama, seen in early March on an Indigo snake survey with NAFHA:

ImageDiamondback from Alabama's Outback by Coluber Constrictor, on Flickr
Ooooo-eeeeeee that there EDB is a BIG-UN...!!! :crazyeyes: Very-very nice... beautiful rattler.

There's another rattlesnake on the have to see list of rattlesnakes that I just HAVE TO SEE in person...!

I'm liking that Pygmy too... but, I'll get back to the Pygmy later.

The Eastern Diamond Back Rattlesnake the LARGEST growing rattlesnake of all rattlesnakes. I'm reading info on this guy and indications that they can grow up to 9 feet...! - That's as long as my truck bed INCLUDING the open tailgate. Article says average size of this EDB is about 6' - And that is just insane... I serious do not know what I would do, I wouldn't know how to act if ever I sawr one'a these here EDB's and it was 6+ FEET...! I would just shiver me timbers... but love every minute :lol:
dery

Post by dery »

ZirconJohn wrote:
Big EDB from the Conecuh National Forest in Alabama, seen in early March on an Indigo snake survey with NAFHA:

ImageDiamondback from Alabama's Outback by Coluber Constrictor, on Flickr
Ooooo-eeeeeee that there EDB is a BIG-UN...!!! :crazyeyes: Very-very nice... beautiful rattler.

There's another rattlesnake on the have to see list of rattlesnakes that I just HAVE TO SEE in person...!

I'm liking that Pygmy too... but, I'll get back to the Pygmy later.

The Eastern Diamond Back Rattlesnake the LARGEST growing rattlesnake of all rattlesnakes.

I can't think of any snake native to the US and/or Canada that gets bigger than an EDB. Only some longer snakes. My group on CC's trip found another huge EDB and we saw a juvi EDB as well as a dusky pygmy on the SEC's ANF trip. If only I still had pics of those snakes on my computer and not have to dig through my flash drives. :roll:
John Delgado

Post by John Delgado »

I can't think of any snake native to the US and/or Canada that gets bigger than an EDB. Only some longer snakes. My group on CC's trip found another huge EDB and we saw a juvi EDB as well as a dusky pygmy on the SEC's ANF trip. If only I still had pics of those snakes on my computer and not have to dig through my flash drives. :roll:
Ya... that EDB is a personal fav of mine. But, I'm on the west coast... not saying it's a good thing, it could be a curse! :lol: So... I'mma have to prioritize my desires to see - 1. Northen Mojave (CA) - 2. Southern Pacific (CA) - 3. Arizona Black - 4. (AZ) Tiger

If you haven't seen the following video on YouTube yet... have a look at the size of this Western Diamond Back, he a BIG'UN...! :shock:

The big WDB is at 1:35

Barry R

Post by Barry R »

Eastern Diamondback, Alabama

EDB, AL.
John Delgado

Post by John Delgado »

What am I seeing here - Why is the bottom pic "EDB, AL." same as above ↑↑↑ in Coluber Constrictor's post... :?:
umop apisdn

Post by umop apisdn »

Wow, I hope nobody uses that video as an actual instructional video on how to bag any venomous snakes. Not only was it unsafe for the handler, but that big blood spot on the bag kinda stands as testament that his technique isn't very good for the animal.
John Delgado

Post by John Delgado »

HA !!! Oh I hear'ya... I posted for the size of the WDB, and NOT the handler's technique...

Also righhht at 3:00 that big'ole WDB only 3" from the left hand there... TOO CLOSE !!! And I don't care what size rattler... 3" is TOOO CLOSE...!

Sure... he been'a huntin and ketchen them rattlers for 30 year and he's comfortable like that and such... but, ya right...!

I may be a noob and all but... I hope I NEVER get that comfortable around rattlers.

However, I do so certainly enjoy the beauty of rattlesnakes, and I marvel at all the ins and out of God's rattler engineering and stuff like that... but... okay.
Josh Young

Post by Josh Young »

A few eastern diamondback rattlesnakes from this year.

ImageEastern diamondback rattlesnake. by Joshua W. Young, on Flickr

And just a handful of the many dusky pygmy rattlesnakes from this year.

ImageAnery dusky pygmy rattlesnake. by Joshua W. Young, on Flickr

ImageDusky pygmy rattlesnake. by Joshua W. Young, on Flickr

ImageNeonate dusky pygmy rattlesnake. by Joshua W. Young, on Flickr

ImageDusky pygmy rattlesnake. by Joshua W. Young, on Flickr
John Delgado

Post by John Delgado »

Josh Young wrote:A few eastern diamondback rattlesnakes from this year.

The pygmy's are GREAT... and I like all the EDB shots... however, I thoroughly LOVE this ↑↑↑ shot...

That sun breaking through on the right, the lonesome dirt road, stretched-out EDB, trees fading off in depth of field... GREAT composition...!

The sun breaking thru makes this shot.
John Delgado

Post by John Delgado »

More pics from my local Rattlesnake City...

This is Henry - My wife and I call him affectionately 'Hissy-Fit Henry' / File #07 on my You Tube Channel ---► https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCohUvA ... sYEmqzwjHg

Henry was one of out most favorite rattlers of 2014... with other gorgeous rattlers like 'Travis' for one, and then this gorgeous critter... how do you pick a favorite. Well, you DON'T...! - They all are great in their own way.
Henry was the GREENEST rattlesnake we ever seen by farrrrrrr...! - And he must have just recently shed too, his skin was like a velvet, absolutely gorgeous taupe color hexagonal dorsal blotches... and a BIG'OLE rattle of 14 buttons. Ohhh Henry is a healthy rattlesnake, as well he should be. Just like Sylvester... Henry lives near an area that gets frequent travelers stop for refresher snacks, several garbage cans. etc... and you know what that means... rodents :arrow: Rattlesnakes delight.

I handle the rattlers too much, next season is gonna be HARD to NOT touch... ahhhhh... it's gonna be hard as you can see, I love to pick them rattlers up, I just love'em to death I wanna just pinch they cheek and hug'em...!!! - Note: I don't handle them from behind the head, I'm a noob... I will NOT go there! And I say "uhh uhh uhh" too much I the video... I'll have to work on that. Denise and I do so very much hope and pray that we get to see Henry again... we always look for him, and call his name too :lol: whenever we are in his neck of the woods.

Once again, I am a noob... constructive criticism is welcome... I appreciate advise from the experts. If it keeps me safe, and keeps the rattlesnakes healthy... please comment.

Please adjust video to 1080p HD and full screen for best results

Jake Schneider

Post by Jake Schneider »

Awesome rattlesnake diversity here. I've personally only seen 13 in my life, but then again I've only been herping for a couple years.

Here are a few from this year:

From MD in June, Timber Rattlesnake

SE Colorado, Prairie Rattlesnake

Pygmy from the Southeast Chapter ANF outing:
Timber from Snake Road, Illinois...

...and one cruised the next night somewhere in Southern Illinois
Tamara D. McConnell

Post by Tamara D. McConnell »

Norpac from Washington
ImageDSC04189 by Tamara McConnell1, on Flickr
Noah M

Post by Noah M »

Here is a Timber from north Florida crossing a road just after sunset from September. First one I've found on my own, second one I've ever seen.

Barry R

Post by Barry R »

ZJ, the pic is not the same, but maybe from the same angle, I was part of the group in AL. when that snake was found.
John Delgado

Post by John Delgado »

Jake Schneider wrote: Awesome rattlesnake diversity here. I've personally only seen 13 in my life, but then again I've only been herping for a couple years.

Here are a few from this year: - <see pics above>
GREAT pics, and I cannot pic a fav... every one is great.

As you may already know, this is the first time, this year 2014, that me and my wife have ever went herping for anything, let alone rattlesnakes. We had to learn very fast. Denise doesn't handle the rattlers, I do. She mans the video camera. She was quite freaked at first, and when we first started, it was very difficult to get her to come within 20' of a rattler. And this is a good lesson; in short time she immediately seen with her own eyes that the rattlesnake is extremely scared out of their skin (no pun intended) of humans. She has seen first hand that rattlesnakes DO NOT chase and attack. She was fascinated that they rather RUN THE HALE OUTTA THERE from the scary human :shock:

Tamara D. McConnell wrote: Norpac from Washington - <see pic above>
Ahhh yes... my expertise field of study the Northen Pacific Rattlesnake - Crotalus oreganus oreganus

This rattlesnake is, in my opinion, the unsung hero of all rattlesnakes. How many western States can the NorPac be found...? Seven? - Is that correct? The NorPac can also be found into Canada just past the State of Washington. The NorPac is a healthy and stout rattlesnake, lives in various weather conditions and elevations ranging from sea level up to 10,000 feet - Please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm going off of memory here.

captainjack0000 wrote: Here is a Timber from north Florida crossing a road just after sunset from September. <see pic above>

First one I've found on my own, second one I've ever seen.
Really great pic. Them Timber Rattlers sure have a pretty pattern.

What I understand about the Timber - Crotalus horridus... is you can determine the sex by counting the scales from the vent to the tip of the tail. I wish it were that easy with rattlers on the west coast. If anyone has a method of determining the sex of western rattlesnakes, I'd sure like to know. Best I can do is guess by estimating if a fat tail, or even taper etc. Not a factual method for sure, but... I'm only a very green amateur. I'm not in a position of popping the hemipenis. I see on YouTube how them guys tube the rattlesnake for safety, and I can do that... but, popping the sex organ of a rattlesnake. Not that I'm scared, I can do it, but I don't NEED to KNOW the sex, I'm only an amateur, and not a Field Herpetologist on study.

Anyway... I talk TOO MUCH...! :lol: But I do LOVE my rattlesnakes, thanks everyone.
Barry R wrote:ZJ, the pic is not the same, but maybe from the same angle, I was part of the group in AL. when that snake was found.
Ahhhhh... okay, I understand now. You were in the same group of people on field expedition. GREAT pic of a GREAT rattlesnake :)
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

ThamnElegans24..

The portrait of the Red Diamond is one of my favorite photos I have seen here ever. Ever.

If a poem about Crotalus acuity and a photo were the same, you wrote it with that shot. ~*~
crotalusfreak

Post by crotalusfreak »

Hi all! I am new to the forum and was invited to add to this thread with some of my rattlesnake sightings of 2014. Here are a few of my favorite encounters/shots from this year.

Tigers (these are my absolute favorite snakes to find)

Specks

Blacktailed

Mohave

Sidwinder

Diamondback

This shot below is a mixture of 2 shots I captured, but I thought they blended well

Thanks for the invite to this awesome thread and forum John! :thumb:
Owen

Post by Owen »

Here's a few from earlier in the year.

This was my south bay March:

Some April ones:

Obi Wan... a transmitter implanted snake from May. Rattle is color coded:

A nice looking snake from July:

John Delgado

Post by John Delgado »

Welcome crotalusfreak -- I am very glad you are here... GREAT pics. And you have some video too... I hope you will share them here... great stuff. If you have question how to embed, just let me know... I'll be glad to show you how.

I really like all the pics you posted, but I have to single this one out, really great detail. Excellent clarity - this close up shot... that's an Northern Black-tail correct...? Crotalus molossus molossus...?

Also love the ones with black background... great composition, love the shadow effect on the cerastes... that is so awesome.

Again, welcome to FHF, I am very glad you signed up... 2015 is going to be a GREAT season for Rattlesnakes :lol:
crotalusfreak wrote:Hi all! I am new to the forum and was invited to add to this thread with some of my rattlesnake sightings of 2014. Here are a few of my favorite encounters/shots from this year.

Thanks for the invite to this awesome thread and forum John! :thumb:

==============================================
==============================================

Welcome to 2014 Rattlesnakes owen -- Great pics.

I am born and raised in San Jose, CA -- The first 11 years of my life were in Evergreen Valley Foothills... we roamed all over, everywhere. Back in the mid 60's, there was nothing out there... NOTHING like it is now. And a kid of age 7 thru 12 could go all over, roam 2 or 3 miles from home... stay out all dayyy and nobody ever thought twice about it. Funny thing is after all that roaming around that area, I KNOW there are rattlesnakes there and I never seen one -- ever!

I moved to Ukiah in Mendocino County - Northern California back in 1996, and now I'm at age 58. Then was May 5, 2013 that I saw my first rattlesnake ever! - And I am bit... I'm hooked with a passion now. You cab see that video of my first experience in my YouTube Channel - Look for Rattlesnake File #00

I like this shot of yours (below), the NorPac. Haha... all them Southern California and Arizona guys have all the luck... they get so many variety if rattlesnakes, we... all we get is THE one. Luckily they do come in different colors, and their demeanors are different form one to the next keeps me on my toes :)

Speaking of color... you see that blue/green NorPac I posted... a rattler I named 'Travis' - I just have to see him again some day, ohhh I hope and pray.

Thank you for sharing all those great pics, you had a great year.
Owen wrote:Here's a few from earlier in the year.

This was my south bay March:

John Delgado

Post by John Delgado »

Thanks to the great people contributing to the success of this thread, and to the great people stopping in to have a look around - We thank you for viewing our pics and video of Rattlesnakes of the United States of America.

The Field Herp Forum has some outstanding people who travel the world and bring home for us to their amazing photographs...,

There's Thor Hakonsen Herp pics from Greece, Nick Evans South African Herp Movies on YouTube, Hans Breuer (twoton) Cobras of Borneo, Zimmerman's HERP's form Borneo, Markus Oulehla's astounding photographs from Morocco, jonathan and the Bangladesh Python Project, New Member yuesam Borneo pics, orionmystery pics from Selangor, Malaysia... you see that pic of the White-spotted Cat Snake (Boiga drapiezii) - And whattabout that Dragonsnake (Xenodermus javanicus) by Antonsrkn from Borneo... WOW...!!!

ALL THAT ↑↑↑ was only from Page 1 of the Main FHF Board... there are many-many more on the following pages.

And with due respect to all the world travelers who spend their personal time to upload all those World Class photo's for us to see... if I had a choice, I would still stay right here in the old U.S. of A. to hunt and photograph Rattlesnakes. And if given a choice of an all expense paid trip to Italy or Graceland I would go to Graceland (first). Then Italy... actually, I do want to go to Italy.

And Snakes... if I had a choice AFTER my first pick with Rattlesnakes of America... I just have to one day go and see the Arizona Black Rattlesnake and the Arizona Tiger. Then 2'nd choice... I would go to Australia and look up the Tiger Snake and the Eastern Brown Snake. But that's just me.

Here is a rattlesnake in the vid and pics below... me and my new wife went Rattlesnake Hunting the day after we got married - We named him Ralphie Boy :lol:

HHhahahaaa... Heyyyyyyyy Ralphie Boy :mrgreen:

shredsteban

Post by shredsteban »

I didn't turn up too many crotes this year. In years past, all I would ever find were rubers and specks, but I tried to focus my efforts on other species as much as possible. Where I live, Rubers, Specks and Helleri are all fairly easy to find.

Red Diamond Rattlesnake
Imageruber by shredsteban, on Flickr

Red Diamond Rattlesnake
Imageruberr by shredsteban, on Flickr

Red Diamond Rattlesnake

Imagepsruberr by shredsteban, on Flickr

Red Diamond Rattlesnake- 2 photos, same snake
Imagerubeslm2 by shredsteban, on Flickr

Imagerubeslm3 by shredsteban, on Flickr

Red Diamond Rattlesnake
Imageruberduber by shredsteban, on Flickr

Red Diamond Rattlesnake
Imageruberps2 by shredsteban, on Flickr

Southern Pacific Rattlesnakes- These were found inside of a catch basin/storm drain at work. They were relocated back to the hills next to the job site. But not without a proper photo shoot..
Imagesprattlers by shredsteban, on Flickr

Imagecoffeecup rattler by shredsteban, on Flickr

Imagehelleri by shredsteban, on Flickr

Imagehelleri3 by shredsteban, on Flickr

Southern Pacific Rattlesnake- This one was mean. Tried biting the hand I was using to prop that door up. Mind you, that hand was 4 feet over his head. He could have gone for my steel toe boots instead :P . So, with one hand holding the AC up, my camera was still in its bag. My one free hand was used to carefully extract my camera, get the settings right and snap. I only got a few photos before he noticed me and struck.

Southwestern Speckled Rattlesnake- I thought I found more specks this year. I guess not.
Imagespeck2 by shredsteban, on Flickr

Southwestern Speckled Rattlesnake- RobertH, his son Nicholas and I found this guy basking near the rocks. We spooked him and he retreated deeper. We admired from a distance and didn't bother him. Also, I have to mention that Nicholas found the speck above. He pointed it out to us inside of a rock crevice and I thought I was going crazy because I didn't see it. Getting schooled by a kid is always bittersweet! ;)
Imagespcky by shredsteban, on Flickr

Sidewinder
Imagepsscsidewinder by shredsteban, on Flickr

Sidewinder
Imagesidewinder by shredsteban, on Flickr
Jacob anderson

Post by Jacob anderson »

[img][/Users/jacobanderson/Desktop/Snakes/pisgah speckled.JPG/img] South western speckled rattlesnake from san bernadino county,ca ..... hmm tried to post a picture but didn't work
krismunk

Post by krismunk »

Jacob anderson wrote:Image
You need to upload your picture to some online host. The path you've written is local to your computer. Furthermore the path should be written between the opening and closing img tags, not within the closing tag.

... and though they're both crummy and recently posted since I'm writing in this thread anyway I might as well contribute what little I have:

shredsteban

Post by shredsteban »

Jacob anderson wrote:[img][/Users/jacobanderson/Desktop/Snakes/pisgah speckled.JPG/img] South western speckled rattlesnake from san bernadino county,ca ..... hmm tried to post a picture but didn't work

Jacob, I use flickr. Very easy to use and if I'm not mistaken, you're still the sole owner of the image. I've heard of other hosts like photobucket basically owning anything that gets put into their server. Good to see you on here!
-Nick Barrientos
John Delgado

Post by John Delgado »

krismunk wrote: ... and thought they're both crummy and recently posted since I'm writing in this thread anyway I might as well contribute what little I have:
With all due respect kris -- I've never seen a crummy pic of a rattlesnake... any and all pics of rattlesnakes are good.

Nice pics Sir -- Thank you for posting, nice work :)
krismunk wrote:
Jacob anderson wrote:[img][/Users/jacobanderson/Desktop/Snakes/pisgah speckled.JPG/img] South western speckled rattlesnake from san bernadino county,ca ..... hmm tried to post a picture but didn't work
You need to upload your picture to some online host. The path you've written is local to your computer. Furthermore the path should be written between the opening and closing img tags, not within the closing tag.
shredsteban wrote: Jacob, I use flickr. Very easy to use and if I'm not mistaken, you're still the sole owner of the image. I've heard of other hosts like photobucket basically owning anything that gets put into their server. Good to see you on here!
-Nick Barrientos
C'mon Jacob... you CAN do it... let's see them rattlesnake pics :)
Jacob anderson

Post by Jacob anderson »

Imagepisgah speckled by jacobanderson594, on Flickr Speckled rattlesnake..Thanks for the help guys i finally figured how to upload the pics
Jacob anderson

Post by Jacob anderson »

Jacob anderson

Post by Jacob anderson »

Jacob anderson

Post by Jacob anderson »