South African Herp movies

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Nick Evans

South African Herp movies

Post by Nick Evans » October 24th, 2014, 10:49 am

Hi guys

I have put together some short movies, with footage I took with my GO PRO, of some adventures over the past few months in KZN, South Africa. All of the footage was shot in the northern parts of the province, which happens to be one of the most diverse areas of South Africa. I had been staying at my favourite places, Umkhumbi Lodge in Hluhluwe and Amangwane in Kosi Bay.

The first video has some footage of some of the snakes that I encountered and a few other bits and pieces. I had a few close calls with one or two of them!

http://youtu.be/Fp4-uSkKXZU?list=UU8MMI ... purG_UmobA

The second video is of a 4 day trail I did in the Hluhluwe-Imfolozi Game Reserve. It was an unforgettable amazing experience. Living in the home of the 'Big 5'. No tents, cars, roads, nothing! Just the wilderness! We didn't encounter much game close up, but we did have some great sighitngs that were a bit far away. I only came across two snake species but I was happy with that!

http://youtu.be/NOIqEd_mGos?list=UU8MMI ... purG_UmobA

Hope you enjoy watching! I'm going to try and make many more during the summer months.

Cheers
Nick

LouB747

Re: South African Herp movies

Post by LouB747 » October 27th, 2014, 11:36 am

Good stuff. Love snake videos. Those cobras can really move.

John Martin

Post by John Martin » October 27th, 2014, 2:22 pm

Thanks for the ride - enjoyed those videos. :beer: How far did you have to run from the cobra at the end of the first vid? :lol: Damn, that thing was moving!

Nick Evans

Post by Nick Evans » October 28th, 2014, 1:20 am

Thanks for the comments!

John, I had to run about 3 or 4 meters! I ran around a tree and eventually it stopped and raised it's hood for a bit and then moved off. I couldn't believe it! I've never seen them do that before. I had been annoying it with cameras though!