That moment when you're excited to see your work cited...

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

jonathan

That moment when you're excited to see your work cited...

Post by jonathan »

...only to realize that you've been cited by the "Australasian Journal of Herpetology".

Seriously, what the heck is this? Freaking Hoser cited my "Herping Asia's Megacities" article in HerpNation as support for his new breakup of the Cylindrophis genus? Anyone who thinks that my popular-level article about finding herps in cities can be used as a reference for THAT has to have a screw loose.

Key references in terms of the Cylindrophiidae and the relevant
taxonomy include, Adler et al. (1992), Ahl (1933), Auliya (2006),
Bachman (1985), Bergman (1953), Bezuijen (2009), Blanford
(1881), Botejue et al. (2012), Boulenger (1896, 1897, 1920), Cox
et al. (1998), Brongersma (1933), Das and De Silva (2005), Das
and Yaakob (2007), David and Vogel (1996, de Lang and Vogel
(2005), de Rooij (1917), De Silva (1998), Dowling and Jenner
(1988), Duméril and Bibron (1844), Frith and Frith (1978),
Geissler et al. (2001), Gray (1849), Grossmann and Tillack
(2001), Hakim (2012)....

Hakim, J. 2012. Herping Asia’s Megacities. HerpNation (9):42-50.

This is so mind-numbingly stupid that it really boggles me.
Noah M

Re: That moment when you're excited to see your work cited..

Post by Noah M »

Be happy that you have a) published and b) been cited. Unless you work is cited by some evil genius as a reason to take over the world or commit genocide, then don't worry about it. There are still plenty of us just trying to get published.
Ribbit

Post by Ribbit »

C'mon, jonathan, take a little credit here. It's a *key reference*!! If you play nice your dog might get a new genus named after it.

John
jonathan

Post by jonathan »

captainjack0000 wrote:Be happy that you have a) published and b) been cited. Unless you work is cited by some evil genius as a reason to take over the world or commit genocide, then don't worry about it. There are still plenty of us just trying to get published.
Don't get me wrong, I was very happy to get that article published and I worked very very hard on it. But it's not even a scientific article! It's a few nice stories about things I've seen while herping in cities. The ONLY reference to Cylindrophis in the whole thing is when I mention that I saw a few of them!
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

peerhaps (pun intended) you should take it as acknowledgment that having had notes published in Herp Review before, even anecdotal reports from you carry weight. ;) jim
cbernz

Post by cbernz »

This could become a new thing, like an Easter Egg hunt or "Where's Waldo," where people cite your article in papers on completely irrelevant topics.

I wonder how often people cite irrelevant articles, hoping or assuming that nobody will bother to actually look them up.
The Real Snake Man

Post by The Real Snake Man »

Everyone here (some clearly do) does know that Hoser is the stupidest piece of pseudo-science ever to be thrust at the world of herpetology, right? I feel for you, Jonathan; I know you're not directly upset that you were cited by Hoser, you're upset that you thought you'd been cited by a real scientist for a real scientific article, and it turned out to be Hoser for a non-scientific article. At least tell me that he named one of the new genera "Hakimoserpens." :lol:
Noah M

Post by Noah M »

For those who didn't know http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raymond_Hoser

My favorite line from the Wiki article is, "In 2009, Hoser started his own journal, the Australasian Journal of Herpetology, for which he is editor and, as of August 2014, the sole contributing author of all 24 issues containing 102 papers."
Scott Waters
Site Admin

Post by Scott Waters »

Interested in the article Jonathan Hakim wrote for Herp Nation Magazine?

View it here....
http://www.herpnation.com/wp-content/up ... _Media.pdf

jonathan

Post by jonathan »

Thanks for that link Scott! Even if Hoser and I are the only ones who will ever use it. :thumb:

captainjack0000 wrote:For those who didn't know http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raymond_Hoser

My favorite line from the Wiki article is, "In 2009, Hoser started his own journal, the Australasian Journal of Herpetology, for which he is editor and, as of August 2014, the sole contributing author of all 24 issues containing 102 papers."
One of the things that confounds me about Hoser - can't he find a couple lackeys to contribute some poorly-written, poorly-sourced, meaningless papers for his journals? The fact that he has written every single paper that has ever been published in his little journal is such an easy slur against it...why doesn't he even try to look a little respectable?

I'd almost believe that he was doing it all as a ruse in a campaign against vanity publishing in general and an attempt to get the ICZN to reform its criteria, if he hadn't been doing really stupid things in the rest of his life as well.
Scott Waters
Site Admin

Post by Scott Waters »

Frankly, I don't care what others do. The bottom line is that Herp Nation Magazine is being recognized in more and more places. Does that mean it will always be cited for use in what is considered a very hot topic, organization, or person? Yes. Personally, I'm not going to get into it with anyone over citing the magazine. It is a great magazine and your article kicked butt.....period. I'll let the scientists work out citations. I'll just keep publishing a magazine that is arguably the best in the world for the demographic we are targeting.

Anyone who wants to view your article can decide what to think of it, Hoser or otherwise. You don't have to prove anything, as it pertains to your article. How others want to translate it is up to them.

I'm proud of Herp Nation Magazine. Anyone who sees it will agree that HNM is a cool mag that dumbs nothing down, or they are not who we are targeting. Share the article link and lets see what people say about your article. Don't fret over citations. If someone wants to look up your article, GREAT! That's exposure, which is good. No?

Tell everyone you know to share that link. Lets see what happens. :)

Scott
chrish

Post by chrish »

jonathan wrote:One of the things that confounds me about Hoser - can't he find a couple lackeys to contribute some poorly-written, poorly-sourced, meaningless papers for his journals? The fact that he has written every single paper that has ever been published in his little journal is such an easy slur against it...why doesn't he even try to look a little respectable?
You probably can't publish in his urinal journal unless you use his taxonomy. That pretty much precludes any other person from using it.

I think he should move to supplant the ICZN next and form his own nomenclatural commission.....with him being the only member. Maybe he could call it the "Movement On Replacing Old Names" or the "Committtee for Replacing Australian Phylogenies" or maybe "World Association for the Nomenclatural Knowledge of Extant Reptiles" or some other suitably acronymed title.
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

chrish wrote: I think he should move to supplant the ICZN next and form his own nomenclatural commission.....with him being the only member. Maybe he could call it the "Movement On Replacing Old Names" or the "Committtee for Replacing Australian Phylogenies" or maybe "World Association for the Nomenclatural Knowledge of Extant Reptiles" or some other suitably acronymed title.
VERY Nice... :D
withalligators

Post by withalligators »

HAHAHA great stuff!
gbin

Post by gbin »

I liked the article, jonathan!

Just wait until someone cites you in a manner that attributes to you something you never said nor believed - in a real scientific article in a legitimate journal, no less. Oh yes, get your writing around enough and it will happen. :x

Gerry