Herping Florida:2014. Ok year

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

NickNunez

Herping Florida:2014. Ok year

Post by NickNunez »

Hello, My name is Nick Nunez.This is going to be my first herping post and it will put all of the herps I found this year in the spot light. :D
First up ill put some pretty places I have been to while herping this year.
Enp has a nice campground.
View of the bay from my home town.
Now for the critters.

First up are the ever so pretty Eastern garter snakes.
this was my lifer from January. Also be aware that alot of my early year photos are in hand shots.
Brown Water snakes.

A separate individual from Broward.
Found a few Red rat snakes.
This juvi was by far the prettiest IMHO. Shined him in some bricks up in Ocala.
I shined this one in my cousins house along a wooden fence.
Eastern glass lizards are awesome. I flipped that one at night in some palm plantation area.
Florida Water snakes are my favorite freshwater nerodia by far. I only find them in one location out near holiday park.
insitu
Everglades Racers.
Brown water snakes.
insitu brown water.
Brown water and very large green water snake found together in the canal by my house.
to show the size of the green..
Next up is by far my favorite find this year.
A deering estate Mangrove Saltmarsh snake (Nerodia Clarkii)
Such an awesome snake!
I will wrap this up with some dors, croc, and a nice tree frog pic.
the local American Croc.
ringer.
I love squirrel tree frogs.
Florida Mud turtle from Martin county.
I was cruising down my main park road in enp and noticed what wouldve been my lifer EDB one the left lane so we went to turn around we notice a LEO car flying down the road..You can guess what happened next. :oops: :cry: :(
similar situation with what wouldve been my lifer coral snake from deering estates.
Ribbon snake shined in one of the canals around deering estates.
I will end this post with a pretty ringer. Thanks for viewing and happy herping! :beer:
kwross

Re: Herping Florida:2014. Ok year

Post by kwross »

It's abot time u made one !! But good post dude!!
HerpMan ATL

Post by HerpMan ATL »

Great post. Love the variety
PrimitiveTim

Post by PrimitiveTim »

Not a bad year! That crocodile is going to get famous soon. lol Welcome to the forum!
Green Snake Man

Post by Green Snake Man »

Rich in Reptiles

Post by Rich in Reptiles »

Welcome to the forum, Nick!! Nice post! Love the glass lizard and huge green watersnake! I bet the diamondback was such a bummer! I was running the other day and saw a car run over a gray ratsnake, if i had been several seconds earlier i could have saved it. Such a frustrating feeling!
Carl D. May

Post by Carl D. May »

Some very cool finds. That flattened coral snake had oddly clean pattern.
OK, if you're doing the Deering Estate area how many boas have you encountered???
NickNunez

Post by NickNunez »

Thanks Everyone!
Carl, I have not encountered any live Boas. But during a weeks span in early June I found around 6 dor juveniles. I have only seen one since. To find Boas you often have to venture into the pinerockland which is a No tresspassing zone. And considering Ive been caught twice by the naturalist who are always in there, I don't think its worth my parents being fined.
BillMcGighan

Post by BillMcGighan »

Good one, Nick.
We'll be looking forward for more to come!
Noah M

Post by Noah M »

Welcome to the forum! Looks like you had a great year, and it sucks about the near lifers. Its bound to happen every now and again. I'm looking forward to more of your finds and photos. South Florida has some neat stuff. :thumb:

As a general reminder, we discourage mentioning involvement in certain activities, such as venturing onto restricted lands, and we discourage stating specific locales. I'm not sure it is that big of deal in this case, but other folks may feel differently.
Carl D. May

Post by Carl D. May »

captainjack0000 wrote:Welcome to the forum! Looks like you had a great year, and it sucks about the near lifers. Its bound to happen every now and again. I'm looking forward to more of your finds and photos. South Florida has some neat stuff. :thumb:

As a general reminder, we discourage mentioning involvement in certain activities, such as venturing onto restricted lands, and we discourage stating specific locales. I'm not sure it is that big of deal in this case, but other folks may feel differently.
The Deering Estate is a well known locality for feral boas (since the late 60s) and so mentioning it is like mentioning the ENP for pythons. The Deering Estate is also off limits to the general public, although they have been trying to eradicate the boas for years now. My question to the staff there has always been, "If you want the boas removed, why not let a few of us in the place at night to collect them for you?" But they always decline.
The boas are exceptionally nice originally being from S.E. Colombia.
I think Nick's point was that he wasn't into herping in restricted areas--although he might have by mistake(?) in the past. The Rocklands around Deering also have a few boas and the DORs he mentioned were likely from there.
NickNunez

Post by NickNunez »

Thanks Bill and Jack!
Caption jack, you're correct And it wont happen again. Deering estate is a very strict place when it comes to herping. In fact herping in deering estate is much like herping ENP(No touching No hooks).
-Nick
FloridaSerpent

Post by FloridaSerpent »

Awesome finds, other than that DOR coral snake. Something need to be done to stop that from happening because here in Florida too many careless people either speed down those roads without a care in the world or purposely run over snakes just because they think snakes are bad. It really irritates me to see such a beautiful animal dead like that.
Tim Borski

Post by Tim Borski »

That Coral is interesting on a couple different levels. As long as you appear to have "semi-access," look for their Tantillas.

Nice first post. :thumb:

Tim
NickNunez

Post by NickNunez »

Thanks Tim! I went through a little phase where I became obsessed with finding a rim rock crown but I basically gave up. Finding a simple yellow rat snake is hard enough for me.

Florida serpent, I agree but the coral snake was relatively small and in front of someones driveway so I assume the person was backing out and hit it. Atleast thats what I hope.