Sometimes it pays to stop and watch a Uta.

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

ThamnElegans24

Sometimes it pays to stop and watch a Uta.

Post by ThamnElegans24 »

Myself and a couple friends were fortunate enough to observe this interesting act of predation while exploring an abandoned building during the last NAFHA national meeting.

The Uta was making repeated failed attempts at climbing a wall when the whiptail came up from behind and attacked. The struggle lasted a few minutes, during which the Uta nearly escaped. But ultimately the whiptail was successful.

The whiptail then grew tired of our presence and decided to finish its meal under a pile of fallen plaster. So unfortunately we were unable to see if it was able to fully consume the Uta.
Bryan Hamilton

Re: Sometimes it pays to stop and watch a Uta.

Post by Bryan Hamilton »

Wicked cool! I've heard that whiptails feed on other lizards but never observed it.

I've noticed that Uta peak activity is often earlier than the other lizards and at lower temperatures. Avoiding predation might explain part of that segregation.

What species of whiptail is that? Its worth pursuing a note in herp review on your observation.
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Cool, its not that surprising being a teiid. In poorly devised communal environments teiids, mostly neo tropical ate other guys readily.

I always think of tegus being the Super Teiid
Sam Bacchini

Post by Sam Bacchini »

Poor Uta, everyone love to eat them...
ThamnElegans24

Post by ThamnElegans24 »

Bryan,
This happened in SW NM. An area in which I know little about. Especially when it comes to lizard species. But from what I can tell, it is a Desert Grassland Whiptail. Anyone feel free to correct me if I am wrong on that. And as far as the herp review goes, I just agreed to do a write up.

Kelly,
I agree Tegus are indeed Super. I had one once along time ago. I'll never forget the first time we fed it a mouse. Reminded me of Jurrasic Park.

Sam,
They are the M&Ms of the natural world.
Chad M. Lane

Post by Chad M. Lane »

What a neat observation! Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Chad
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

from what I can tell, it is a Desert Grassland Whiptail
Yes, DG Whiptail
mfb

Post by mfb »

Poor Uta, but that is a great observation!
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

These two were so busy, getting busy... they paid absolutely no mind to me... no zoom on this pic...camera was literally 3 in away... :shock:

I was recently told a rather unbelievable story regarding GB Whiptails, wherein 3 or 4 of them approached and circled a coiled-up small Sidewinder. told the guy the only thing I could... If you ever see that happen again... get video... :lol: :lol: :lol: