Anyone have recordings of the new Leopard Frog species?

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Don Becker

Anyone have recordings of the new Leopard Frog species?

Post by Don Becker »

As the topic says, anyone know where I can get a recording of Lithobates (Rana) kauffeldi?
cbernz

Re: Anyone have recordings of the new Leopard Frog species?

Post by cbernz »

I have a decent field recording of a chorus that I made as part of a survey. I can send it to you if you'd like.
The Real Snake Man

Post by The Real Snake Man »

I know this isn't helpful to you, but I just wanted to mention how cool this discovery is: cryptic species right in basically the most populous spot in the country; not to mention, they named it after Kauffeld! I don't know if that's a bigger honor to Kauffeld or the frog!
Don Becker

Post by Don Becker »

Spinifer had some recordings on naherp.com as vouchers. I listened to those. I just wanted to hear the call rather than just go by sound prints in the paper.
mtratcliffe

Post by mtratcliffe »

Don Becker wrote:Spinifer had some recordings on naherp.com as vouchers. I listened to those. I just wanted to hear the call rather than just go by sound prints in the paper.
If you find his records that are just L. sphenocephalus without the subspecies, those are his kaufeldi specimens. Their calls are interesting but very tame compared to their S. Leopard Frog brethren.

There are probably a few other inadvertent records on NAHERP. Might be worth perusing through counties in their range to see if we can't catch any.
NewYorkHerper16

Post by NewYorkHerper16 »

This is great that it finally got a name! Ever since the initial news of the discovery a few years ago I've been interested in them, and I've been really anxious to learn more about them. Im hoping to get out and see a couple for myself in the spring. Has anybody heard their calls in person, or know if they utilize similar habitats as other leopard frogs?
cbernz

Post by cbernz »

http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Ad ... ne.0108213

Here in the Passaic River Valley, they are all over the place. I see them in my backyard vernals frequently, although I haven't seen them breeding yet (I do hear them calling in my neighbor's yard, though). Generally, at least around here, they are most abundant in open, seasonally flooded, grassy wetlands, like this: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... rsey03.jpg You can hear and see them in huge numbers in appropriate habitat during the peak breeding season, sometime between mid-March and mid-April in my experience.

I'd post my recordings, but I don't have them hosted anywhere, they're just on my hard drive.
Noah M

Post by Noah M »

I'd post my recordings, but I don't have them hosted anywhere, they're just on my hard drive.
You could put them on NAHERP - like photo vouchers, they don't need to be hosted anywhere. I think they just need to be MP3.
cbernz

Post by cbernz »

They haven't added kauffeldi to the database yet, so I'll wait to add my records, but in the meantime, I got myself a SoundCloud account:

https://soundcloud.com/cbernz/nj-bern-0 ... apr2014wav

Am I right in assuming that I can't embed soundcloud files since they use HTML, or is there a workaround?
cbernz

Post by cbernz »

mtratcliffe wrote:There are probably a few other inadvertent records on NAHERP. Might be worth perusing through counties in their range to see if we can't catch any.
I'd bet that all the L. pipiens records from NJ are kauffeldi, and probably all the L. sphenocephalus records from Morris, Somerset, Middlesex, and Essex Counties are also kauffeldi. Many of those records are photo only, though.
NewYorkHerper16

Post by NewYorkHerper16 »

cbernz wrote:http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Ad ... ne.0108213

Here in the Passaic River Valley, they are all over the place. I see them in my backyard vernals frequently, although I haven't seen them breeding yet (I do hear them calling in my neighbor's yard, though). Generally, at least around here, they are most abundant in open, seasonally flooded, grassy wetlands, like this: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... rsey03.jpg You can hear and see them in huge numbers in appropriate habitat during the peak breeding season, sometime between mid-March and mid-April in my experience.

Thanks for posting those links! I wonder if the now extirpated population of L. sphenocephalus on Long Island was actually L. kauffeldi? If there are any preserved specimens collected from here, it would be pretty interesting to see some DNA tests or something. This really is such an interesting discovery!
chrish

Post by chrish »

Great recording. It is cool that this frog has been identified and described, even if it took 50 years.
Am I right in assuming that I can't embed soundcloud files since they use HTML, or is there a workaround?
That's a great recording.

You could upload the record to herpmapper and then link to the mp3 here. L. kauffeldi is in herpmapper as of a few minutes ago.

----------------------------

On a side note, and it might not matter to any of us who use soundcloud for holding herp recordings, but there is some controversy regarding soundcloud and copyright protection going on right now. Apparently, other sites are harvesting recordings from soundcloud and selling them. You might not care, but at least you should be informed. Probably won't be a big market for Lithobates kauffeldi recordings, but who knows?
cbernz

Post by cbernz »

Thanks, Chris. Good to know about soundcloud - I'll be careful about putting anything valuable on there.

I created a Herpmapper account and added a record: http://www.herpmapper.org/my-account/record/37918 I created the record first, then uploaded the sound file, then added that as a voucher, and saved the record. Afterwards, I wanted to add photos to the record, so I uploaded 3 photos, went back to the record, and clicked "add vouchers," but all that appears in the little box is the sound file I already added to the record. I can see my photos in "my files," but for some reason it won't add those files to my available voucher photos. Not sure if that's a bug or if it's by design. I'd start the whole process over, but I don't see a way of deleting records.

Also, I couldn't figure out if there's a way to link directly to the mp3, or embed it here.
chrish

Post by chrish »

cbernz wrote:I created a Herpmapper account and added a record: http://www.herpmapper.org/my-account/record/37918 I created the record first, then uploaded the sound file, then added that as a voucher, and saved the record. Afterwards, I wanted to add photos to the record, so I uploaded 3 photos, went back to the record, and clicked "add vouchers," but all that appears in the little box is the sound file I already added to the record. I can see my photos in "my files," but for some reason it won't add those files to my available voucher photos. Not sure if that's a bug or if it's by design. I'd start the whole process over, but I don't see a way of deleting records.

Also, I couldn't figure out if there's a way to link directly to the mp3, or embed it here.
Yeah, herpmapper is a little bit different although once you get used to it, it is much faster.
To add files (or make new records), you click your name in the upper right hand corner and choose Upload Files from the pull down.
On the next screen choose Add Files and choose the file(s) you want. You can upload a bunch of files simultaneously buy shift or control clicking the files which is a big time saver. After you get the files you want chosen, choose start upload from the top and they will all upload at once.

You then go to "My Files" under your name and select the voucher(s) you want and a new record will be created. Fill in the details and you are done.

If you already have a record and want to add more vouchers, you upload them like that and then they will be available when you choose "Add vouchers" from your record.

You can also do the same thing by clicking Add Vouchers first which will give you a pop-up window which says "You nave no files to upload. Click here to upload files". The trick is you have to click the text that says "click here to upload files" rather than the "Add Files" button. It is a bit confusing. Once you have uploaded the files, when you Add Vouchers again you will see your files listed.

It seems a bit strange at first, but when you are used to the system, I find Herpmapper much easier to enter records into than HERP.
Furthermore, if your vouchers are photos and the date and GPS data are in the EXIF file, the program will automatically fill those boxes in when you choose that file as your voucher.

Your Atlantic Leopard Frog record is here - http://www.herpmapper.org/record/37918 and if you want the URL for the recording, right click on the speaker icon and choose "open link in new tab" and that will open just the mp3 in a new tab. Copy that URL and you have http://www.herpmapper.org/voucher/58319/audio.mp3.

Put a couple of mp3 tags around that and voila! -

Chris
cbernz

Post by cbernz »

Thanks for the help, Chris. When I went back to the record this morning, I was able to add the voucher photos no problem, but for some reason they weren't showing up yesterday, even though I uploaded them twice. Anyway, yeah, that does seem like a pretty straightforward system.
Carl Brune

Post by Carl Brune »

So help me out here. I have listened to the recording several times. There are obviously peepers. There are "clucks" that I would associate with sylvatica, but I suspect these are in fact the kauffeldi? This is based on reading the Feinberg paper and the description of the call. There are also a few "snores" that I associate with palustris. Am I interpreting this recording correctly?
cbernz

Post by cbernz »

Carl Brune wrote:So help me out here. I have listened to the recording several times. There are obviously peepers. There are "clucks" that I would associate with sylvatica, but I suspect these are in fact the kauffeldi? This is based on reading the Feinberg paper and the description of the call. There are also a few "snores" that I associate with palustris. Am I interpreting this recording correctly?
Everything on the recording that isn't a peeper (or a truck) is kauffeldi. The chuck call is very similar to that of sylvatica, and I wonder if that might be part of the reason nobody knew about this species for so long.
Don Becker

Post by Don Becker »

If you are still wanting an mp3 hosting solution, there are instructions in this sticky post
http://www.fieldherpforum.com/forum/vie ... =2&t=13987
Carl Brune

Post by Carl Brune »

Ok, thanks for the info. It really is crazy how similar that is to a sylvatica call.