2015 Eastern Indigo Snake Search - Conecuh Naitonal Forest

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Jim Godwin

2015 Eastern Indigo Snake Search - Conecuh Naitonal Forest

Post by Jim Godwin »

Field Herp Folks,

Once again we are inviting forum members to join us in searching for Eastern Indigo Snakes in Conecuh National Forest. Your participation will aid us in evaluating the success of this project. Brief background: We initiated a reintroduction effort in 2010 with the release of the first cohort of snakes. Releases continued over the next three years and at this time we have set free nearly 100 snakes in the forest. Each winter we conduct several focused searches to recapture snakes to obtain data on their survivorship and growth.

In the past we selected one or two weekends for this event. This year I'm trying something different. I've set up a Doodle poll http://doodle.com/wekvsfi5834fpvhw#table and am asking that those that want to attend note their weekend of preference in the poll. Four weekends have been set up, three in February and one in March. Through the poll we can see which weekend is preferred by most and designate that one for this year's annual SE Chapter FHF Indigo Snake Hunt.
mtratcliffe

Re: 2015 Eastern Indigo Snake Search - Conecuh Naitonal Fore

Post by mtratcliffe »

This sounds like great work and a lot of fun! I appreciate you all extending the invitation. I will do my best to free up my calendar to make it.
Tamara D. McConnell

Post by Tamara D. McConnell »

I'll be there. Doesn't matter which weekend it is to me, as long as I know a little ahead of time. Too much fun to miss.
Coluber Constrictor

Post by Coluber Constrictor »

Barry R

Post by Barry R »

I'd like to try the March date, but I don't know if I can commit just yet
Jim Godwin

Post by Jim Godwin »

Just to give this a little bump.

A large indigo shed was found last week near a tortoise burrow. These cold/cool spells of weather will motivate the indigos, those that haven't, to return to their wintering locales around the tortoise burrows.
eminart

Post by eminart »

Hey guys, I'm new so I don't have a full grasp of the rules. I live in Huntsville and I'm very interested in getting down to the Conecuh NF and trying to see some couperi in their natural habitat. I visited the NAFHA site and registered over there, and, obviously, I've joined the forum here. Is there anything official I need to do to be "in the club" and tag along on this outing?
Noah M

Post by Noah M »

Not that I know of. I would encourage you to fill out your profile on the NAFHA site with your FHF name. I think the folks organizing the Indigo hunt usually post details on when and where to meet.
eminart

Post by eminart »

captainjack0000 wrote:Not that I know of. I would encourage you to fill out your profile on the NAFHA site with your FHF name. I think the folks organizing the Indigo hunt usually post details on when and where to meet.
Thanks! I added my user name on my NAFHA profile earlier today.
Jim Godwin

Post by Jim Godwin »

Essentially if you're reading the posts in this thread you've been invited. My purpose in posting in the SE chapter is for an open invitation to the SE members, but this does not exclude anyone on the forum. The intent of an organized volunteer snake hunt weekend is to 1) aid the researchers in collecting data on this reintroduced population of eastern indigo snakes and 2) offer an opportunity to those with the interest and motivation to have a field experience with this magnificent serpent.

Our weekend last year was a success as they have been in the previous years. We found several indigos, a few eastern diamondbacks, and other very cool herps. A core group of SE FHF folks have formed around this event plus we have local biologists that attend.

In searching for the indigos we focus on gopher tortoise burrows and look for basking snakes or evidence of crawls in the sand. This year I am planning on having a tortoise burrow camera on hand so that we can scope burrows suspected of harboring a snake. If you have not seen a burrow camera in use this will be your chance.

Last year we held the event on the last weekend in February. This year we're planning on the first weekend of March which will be over Saturday Mar 7. Put it on your calendar. The weather will hopefully be warm and sunny and bring out the snakes along with other herps.
eminart

Post by eminart »

Jim Godwin wrote:Essentially if you're reading the posts in this thread you've been invited. My purpose in posting in the SE chapter is for an open invitation to the SE members, but this does not exclude anyone on the forum. The intent of an organized volunteer snake hunt weekend is to 1) aid the researchers in collecting data on this reintroduced population of eastern indigo snakes and 2) offer an opportunity to those with the interest and motivation to have a field experience with this magnificent serpent.

Our weekend last year was a success as they have been in the previous years. We found several indigos, a few eastern diamondbacks, and other very cool herps. A core group of SE FHF folks have formed around this event plus we have local biologists that attend.

In searching for the indigos we focus on gopher tortoise burrows and look for basking snakes or evidence of crawls in the sand. This year I am planning on having a tortoise burrow camera on hand so that we can scope burrows suspected of harboring a snake. If you have not seen a burrow camera in use this will be your chance.

Last year we held the event on the last weekend in February. This year we're planning on the first weekend of March which will be over Saturday Mar 7. Put it on your calendar. The weather will hopefully be warm and sunny and bring out the snakes along with other herps.

Awesome! I've followed a lot of the progress of the indigos in conecuh through the Orianne Society, and Outdoor Alabama's updates, along with reading some white papers on the subject. I'd love to be able to help, and to finally get a chance to see these snakes in the wild. I'm definitely going to put it on my calendar and plan to be there.
NACairns

Post by NACairns »

Hope it is a very successful survey. If you decide to switch back to Feb 28th could you please PM me? A lab mate and I will be driving to Louisiana from eastern Canada and we would love to make a side trip. Are peepers calling in the Conecuh National Forest at that time?
Enviously yours,
Nick
Jim Godwin

Post by Jim Godwin »

Nick,

Recent response to the poll has bumped the 28th ahead of the 7th. We're not firm on the 7th, we could just as easily set up for the 28th.

Peepers, ornate chorus frogs, southern chorus frogs, southern leopard frogs, and gopher frogs will be calling and breeding in the Conecuh ponds at this time.
NACairns

Post by NACairns »

That is great to hear, I'll keep checking this thread to help plan our trip. I was already sold but the more anurans the better. We're working on peepers so it would be nice to record some calls in the evening.
Nick
page whatley

Post by page whatley »

We had a great time last year look forward to this survey.
Tamara D. McConnell

Very much looking forward to this!
eminart

Post by eminart »

Couple more questions.......

Do any (or all) of you guys stay at the campground over the weekend?

Would there be any objections to my daughter coming along? She'll be about a week away from her 10th bday at that time. She's been tagging along with me in some pretty rough outdoor activities for the past 5 years, so I'm not worried about her ability to keep up.
Darkhorse

Post by Darkhorse »

Usually several of us stay at Open Pond... can't wait, sandhills time!
Daniel D Dye

Post by Daniel D Dye »

Is the official date the 28th of February?
mtratcliffe

Post by mtratcliffe »

I won't be able to make it this year as I have a camping trip planned that weekend, plus tons of stuff going on February, but I wish everyone the best of luck and hope you all have a great time! Can't wait to hear more about it!
Jim Godwin

Post by Jim Godwin »

eminart wrote:Couple more questions.......

Do any (or all) of you guys stay at the campground over the weekend?

Would there be any objections to my daughter coming along? She'll be about a week away from her 10th bday at that time. She's been tagging along with me in some pretty rough outdoor activities for the past 5 years, so I'm not worried about her ability to keep up.
Our activities in the forest are easy enough for kids to participate in and enjoy plus this will be a good educational opportunity for the younger ones (no matter the chronological age :mrgreen: ).
Jim Godwin

Post by Jim Godwin »

Daniel D Dye wrote:Is the official date the 28th of February?
Yes the official date will be 28 February. Now that that is settled all we need is good weather.

Will you make it again this year?
Daniel D Dye

Post by Daniel D Dye »

Yes, Yvonne and I will arrive Friday and setup the popup camper and leave Sunday. Michael, my son, might make it as well. I'm looking forward to seeing you guys again. A snake or to would be cool too. :)
NACairns

Post by NACairns »

I choosing the 28th you just made a couple canucks very happy, we'll see you there.
Best,
Nick
Joseph Jenkins

Post by Joseph Jenkins »

Good Deal! 28th sounds great! I'll be there for sure!
Aneides Aeneus

Post by Aneides Aeneus »

My parents, a friend of mine, and I will be there!

-Ananth.
Kevin Messenger

Post by Kevin Messenger »

I'll be making it this time around as well!
page whatley

Post by page whatley »

We had a great time last year, we be there hope for fair weather. Got a new guy coming this year all the way from Texas he keeps indigos and is beyond thrilled to help. So I'm bring some very good snake finders. Keith kurpes will be there ive been herping the world 50+ years this guy has "snake eyes" as good as I've seen.
eminart

Post by eminart »

What happens if it's rainy? It's still a bit far out for accurate predictions, but right now, it's looking like rain.
Aneides Aeneus

Post by Aneides Aeneus »

Since I am a newbie here, I'm not really sure how this outing works. Will there be a time and place where everyone meets to go out and search for indigoes?

Thanks, Ananth.
Jim Godwin

Post by Jim Godwin »

At this time the weather forecast for next Saturday is not promising for indigos. Rainy with a high near 60 but this may change. Even with sub-optimal weather we will still head out to search for snakes.

As in the past we will meet at the pavilion at Open Pond at 9 am for a short organizational meeting, form up in groups, then travel to the search areas.
Jim Godwin

Post by Jim Godwin »

Weather report for Saturday is drifting back and forth from rotten to almost good. At this time a high of 60 is predicted, mostly cloudy, but no rain. Not the optimum conditions for indigo activity but much better than a cold rainy forecast.

http://www.wunderground.com/q/zmw:36420.1.99999

Rain or shine we are still on.
Daniel D Dye

Post by Daniel D Dye »

We are still planning to make it, Jim.
Tamara D. McConnell

I'm out. Gotta have some ghastly periodontal surgery later this week. So bummed about missing this indigo outing.
Joseph Jenkins

Post by Joseph Jenkins »

Tamara, we are sorry to hear that, yall will be missed. I hope the surgery goes well for ya!
Tamara D. McConnell

It will be fine. It's just bad timing. Hey, Joseph, big congrats on your conservation award!
Barry R

Post by Barry R »

That's a bummer Tamara.
Joe, you win the lottery?
I am hearing nasty things about the weather, but I'm planning to be there.
Jim Godwin

Post by Jim Godwin »

Just returned from Conecuh, weather yesterday was rainy and cold. Ponds need more water. Last night no frogs were calling because of the windy, cold conditions but we did find a single mole salamander moving from a pond. Current prediction is partly cloudy, mid-60s, no rain. No great but not as bad as it could be.
mtratcliffe

Post by mtratcliffe »

Jim Godwin wrote:Just returned from Conecuh, weather yesterday was rainy and cold. Ponds need more water. Last night no frogs were calling because of the windy, cold conditions but we did find a single mole salamander moving from a pond. Current prediction is partly cloudy, mid-60s, no rain. No great but not as bad as it could be.
Wishing you all the best of luck! Hopefully there will be frogs breeding with milder temps.
Jim Godwin

Post by Jim Godwin »

We caught one male indigo that had been hatched in 2009 and released in 2011. This guy was right at 2m total length. Nick Cairns was the lucky guy to grab it. He saw in half in and half out of a tortoise burrow and had to make a wild dive to catch it. :thumb:

One eastern diamondback was seen and a few racers were captured.
mtratcliffe

Post by mtratcliffe »

Jim Godwin wrote:We caught one male indigo that had been hatched in 2009 and released in 2011. This guy was right at 2m total length. Nick Cairns was the lucky guy to grab it. He saw in half in and half out of a tortoise burrow and had to make a wild dive to catch it. :thumb:

Not bad, given the conditions! I know you were all hoping for more, but I'm glad it wasn't a bust. I look forward to some pictures!
BillMcGighan

Post by BillMcGighan »

Way to go, Nick!

Way to go, All!
Tamara D. McConnell

We caught one male indigo that had been hatched in 2009 and released in 2011. This guy was right at 2m total length. Nick Cairns was the lucky guy to grab it. He saw in half in and half out of a tortoise burrow and had to make a wild dive to catch it. :thumb:

Sounds like a good day! Happy y'all had a productive hunt!
Noah M

Post by Noah M »

Goes to show that less than ideal conditions can still produce something.

I'm happy to hear the news.
kevin h

Post by kevin h »

Well even though we just saw one indigo I had a great time. I'd also like to thank Jimmy and Jim for showing us around and I'm looking forward to next year!
Barry R

Post by Barry R »

Despite the cooler temps, I enjoyed the weekend. One Indigo is better than none, and we had good amphibian opportunities.
Thanks to the Auburn and USFS folks for having us.
Aneides Aeneus

Post by Aneides Aeneus »

I'd also like to thank everyone who helped out during the weekend! Here are some pictures I took:

The indigo:

Racer:

Spring peeper found Saturday night:

Slimy salamander:

Chamberlain's dwarf salamander:

On Sunday we went looking for salamanders in the same spot that many people herped at on Saturday in the afternoon. One very sad thing I noticed was that most of the logs had not been put back properly, and some had not been put back at all. We also found a dead anole under one log, and a dead newt under another; both had been crushed because someone had carelessly dropped the log.
If you see someone who isn't putting logs back the way they were, or who is being careless about rolling them back, please say something! It may save an animal's life.

-Ananth.
mtratcliffe

Post by mtratcliffe »

Nice Indigo! I'm glad you all were able to find one. And I'm also amazed at how calm that Racer appears to be.

It's a shame about the logs and the dead newt and anole. Were the log flippers from this group?
NACairns

Post by NACairns »

Thanks to Jim and Jimmy for organizing such a great event and Joe and everyone else for showing Mark and I around such a beautiful part of the world. The cool weather was unfortunate but getting one indigo was great, guess we'll just have to come back. Here is the indigo before we captured him:
ImageDrymarchon couperi by nacairn, on Flickr

I'll but up a more complete trip report when we finish the trip.
Best,
Nick
Aneides Aeneus

Post by Aneides Aeneus »

Nice photo Nick!

Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure the log flippers were from our group. In the afternoon, we all went to a large site and split up, and a small group of people went to that wetland, where they found a mole salamander and several chamberlain's dwarf salamanders. I had really wanted to see these species, so my parents and I went back the next morning, and found the damage.

-Ananth.