senior project about reptiles and amphibians

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

axeman2729

senior project about reptiles and amphibians

Post by axeman2729 » November 20th, 2014, 6:44 am

As a few of you guys know Im still in high school and in order to graduate I am required to do a senior project. I have already been approved to teach several classes on reptiles and amphibians( both native and exotic). I was wondering if anyone would be interested in coming to one of the events. one is going to be at Fern Hollow Nature Center in Sewickley PA on march 21st. The other will possibly be at Jennings environmental center. there will be snacks provided by Panera as well as some live herps and if weather permits we might go out looking for some wild specimens.

ZantiMissKnit

Re: senior project about reptiles and amphibians

Post by ZantiMissKnit » November 21st, 2014, 10:53 am

Good luck, Garrett! I won't be able to attend, but you're welcome to pick the brains of folks on the forum for help with your presentation.

chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin » November 22nd, 2014, 5:01 am

Pennsylvania...have you contacted Walter Meshaka? (Google him if you're unfamiliar with his work). I don't know if he'd be able to attend or otherwise assist you with your project, but he just might.

axeman2729

Post by axeman2729 » November 24th, 2014, 6:07 am

there is a possibility that the assistant curator of the Carnegie museum of natural history reptile and amphibian section might come I met him a few weeks ago he also offered to take me on site with him!

The Jake-Man

Post by The Jake-Man » November 24th, 2014, 6:43 am

If your program wasn't 4.5 hours away, I would try to make it, but unfortunately that's a bit out of my range. Glad to hear of someone else who's working with herps for their senior project, especially on the education end. For my senior project this year, I managed to get PARS surveying approved as my activity, so I basically just went herping as usual, but wrote a description of what I did.

Best of luck

axeman2729

Post by axeman2729 » November 24th, 2014, 9:24 am

lucky!!!!! and are you they jake im friends with on facebook??? im garrett brethauer if that rings any bells

spinifer

Post by spinifer » November 24th, 2014, 11:22 am

I managed to get PARS surveying approved as my activity, so I basically just went herping as usual, but wrote a description of what I did.
Next figure out how to get paid to herp, and you will be set for life.

The Jake-Man

Post by The Jake-Man » November 24th, 2014, 1:45 pm

That thought may have crossed my mind a few times... Especially after I realized that I would have upwards of 800 hours volunteered for PARS if I could include search time on my records from before the current generation of the survey. With a little luck, next summer I'll be doing something herp, or at least wildlife-related, on someone else's budget.

On a related note, has anyone ever talked about creating a sub forum for herp or wildlife job postings? I think many FHF users would find that useful.

chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin » November 24th, 2014, 3:03 pm

The Jake-Man wrote:On a related note, has anyone ever talked about creating a sub forum for herp or wildlife job postings? I think many FHF would find that useful.

http://www.fieldherpforum.com/forum/vie ... 12&t=20741

The Jake-Man

Post by The Jake-Man » November 25th, 2014, 8:02 am

Well would you look at that, great minds think alike...

Your name sounds familiar, but I wasn't friends with you on Facebook. Do you enter your finds in PARS? Butler co. is an area we could use more data from.

axeman2729

Post by axeman2729 » November 25th, 2014, 9:56 am

you sure? Im pretty sure we used to be friends from that Pennsylvania herp society page