axeman2729

Re: Herp Nation Magazine - FREE Article Download

Post by axeman2729 »

are these articles peer reviewed? :?
Scott Waters
Site Admin

Post by Scott Waters »

We have a 27 person panel in place that takes on average 12 to 14 months to review each article. After that, they are then sealed in a tube and sent out to sea. Once found, we have them washed, dried, salted, and then put down on paper. :)

Scott
axeman2729

Post by axeman2729 »

lol I only asked because im in AP bio and we have to do an article review every month and it has to be peer reviewed
Scott Waters
Site Admin

Post by Scott Waters »

Why would these articles need peer review? We're not a scientific journal and nor do we pretend to be one. Have you seen the magazine, or just this article? Let me know and I'll send ya some copies for your consideration. I think you'd enjoy HNM.

Scott
axeman2729

Post by axeman2729 »

I have actually only seen this article and I think my teacher wants the articles to be peer reviewed because he wants them to be research
The Jake-Man

Post by The Jake-Man »

First off, thank you for sharing this article. I really enjoyed reading it, enough to consider getting a subscription based solely off this article.

Axeman asked a legitimate question, one that I can identify with myself, as a high school student who has been forced to summarize scientific papers, (which I ironically have no way to access). I just don't think he realizes that some elitists may have an issue with the fact that Herp Nation is not a peer-reviewed journal, and that you may have struggled to establish the reputation of the publication as one that is in no way attempting to be a scientific journal.
axeman2729

Post by axeman2729 »

hey Jake I use ebscohost to get articles usually as they have a search tool that filters results to only peer reviewed
Scott Waters
Site Admin

Post by Scott Waters »

You'll be able to see more from Herp Nation, digitally, in the near future. For now, I wanted to put out a few articles as pdfs.

In terms of the peer review question, again, we are not a journal. We do publish articles that are in-depth, but nowhere have we ever contended to be a journal. Academics know this and embrace what we're doing. They see us as kind of a "bridge" from laymen to academic. We don't promote it as a journal. We are just Herp Nation Magazine, a magazine dedicated to several aspects of herps. Field, keeper, herpetology, and so on. We pride ourselves in our diversity of articles, from in-depth......to simply just interesting. Glad it appears we look like a journal, though! I'll take it! :)

We currently have a great deal on a 6 issue pack, if the mag interests you further. Check it out....
http://www.herpnation.com/hn-blog/hnm/h ... ay-6-pack/

Scott
The Jake-Man wrote:First off, thank you for sharing this article. I really enjoyed reading it, enough to consider getting a subscription based solely off this article.

Axeman asked a legitimate question, one that I can identify with myself, as a high school student who has been forced to summarize scientific papers, (which I ironically have no way to access). I just don't think he realizes that some elitists may have an issue with the fact that Herp Nation is not a peer-reviewed journal, and that you may have struggled to establish the reputation of the publication as one that is in no way attempting to be a scientific journal.
Rich in Reptiles

Post by Rich in Reptiles »

Well i'm a sucker! Both this and the holiday special did it for me LOL! Thanks for posting this, Scott!
Sam Bacchini

Post by Sam Bacchini »

As editor for Herp Nation I will echo Scott's comments, that while we are not an academically peer reviewed journal we are very proud of the high quality content we choose to publish. That being said, I am a professional biologist (and life-long avid herpetoculturist), and I gave a former supervisor of mine (who is a well respected fisheries biologist) a few issues of the magazine. After reading them he told me how impressed he was with the article quality, and specifically said that he felt it was a citeable publication.

We will continue to be dedicated to providing diversity of content (field herping, herpetology and herpetoculture) but have had the honor of being approached by individuals on the more academic side who have had some great ideas for contributions. We will be working with them to see if to raise the bar even further with our content. Watch for some great stuff coming in future issues.
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Herp Nation is a young King.

It encompasses all of what Sam and Scott said, and even more in the future and it gives me hope.