Law enforcement in Big Cypress / Fakahatchee Strand

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Mynki

Law enforcement in Big Cypress / Fakahatchee Strand

Post by Mynki »

I've just been reading about people being stopped in ENP for having hooks with them. Just out of interest, do the rangers stop herpers in Big Cypress and Fakahatchee if they're seen herping? I've only ever been stopped by them when fishing and have been checked for my license etc.
BillMcGighan

Re: Law enforcement in Big Cypress / Fakahatchee Strand

Post by BillMcGighan »

As a general rule, carrying a hook or bags on a National Park, State Park, or National Wildlife Refuge is not wise. You're generally going to have fewer LEO chats, if you don't give even the perception of impropriety.

Researchers who carry hooks and bags in these areas have permits.

You generally don't really need a hook there anyway.

Good luck in south FL this year.
dery

Post by dery »

Since my hot locale are on private lands only partly maintained by the city, I don't need to carry hooks and such on a non-research trip. So I can't comment on Bill's advice. However, If it wasn't for leo's, 1 I never would of found my first crote
2 I never would of found my first croc 3 never would of saw a pecan tree on the morgan-madison county,al line, etc, etc. So in a nutshell, my encounters with wildlife leo's have never been bad. the only times I had an unjust encounter with leo's were with local yokels employed by city cops and public grade schools. That itself doesn't happen to me often.
Mynki

Post by Mynki »

Thanks. I've seen a few LEO's down there and after reading this forum thought it would be wise to check the situation.

I can be quite good at playing the dumb tourist when needed though. :lol:
chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

Mynki wrote:Thanks. I've seen a few LEO's down there and after reading this forum thought it would be wise to check the situation.

I can be quite good at playing the dumb tourist when needed though. :lol:
"Dumb tourist" doesn't always work, but it's a good backup plan. :lol: I've had good luck with calling the relevant LE agency beforehand and letting them know I'll be in the area and what I'll be doing. While most seem like they couldn't care less, I think they appreciate me being up-front. Also, even if they DON'T pass the word to their field officers, I can still tell those officers (if I encounter them in the field) that I took the appropriate steps. This helps demonstrate that you don't have any bad intent.
Noah M

Post by Noah M »

When I have been down the equipment I've ever had was a car and camera. It worked our well enough for me.
dery

Post by dery »

captainjack0000 wrote:When I have been down the equipment I've ever had was a car and camera. It worked our well enough for me.
Here's my normal herping gear: camera and its accessories, keys, cell phone. Nothing else except the shoes and clothing I'm wearing. I am notorious for carrying extremely light. Ask anyone who's herped with me.