Nor Cal Trip

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

hellihooks

Nor Cal Trip

Post by hellihooks » December 12th, 2014, 8:24 am

I will be in Santa Cruz area from the 24th to the 29th to herp. My twins want to spend X-mass with Mom, so I'm renting the car and going along to get some salamandering in. IF necessary I can stay at the Ex's, in Felton, but... not my idea of fun (as in I'd rather sleep in the car :lol: )

Along with all the usual suspects (especially Dicamps), I'd really like to try for some lifers, like a SC Black, Long toed, red belly newt, Ca Tiger, and (probably not very likely) my SFGS. :D jim

Zach_Lim

Re: Nor Cal Trip

Post by Zach_Lim » December 12th, 2014, 1:22 pm

hellihooks wrote:I will be in Santa Cruz area from the 24th to the 29th to herp. My twins want to spend X-mass with Mom, so I'm renting the car and going along to get some salamandering in. IF necessary I can stay at the Ex's, in Felton, but... not my idea of fun (as in I'd rather sleep in the car :lol: )

Along with all the usual suspects (especially Dicamps), I'd really like to try for some lifers, like a SC Black, Long toed, red belly newt, Ca Tiger, and (probably not very likely) my SFGS. :D jim

Let's do it Jim. Let me know.

Zach_Lim

Post by Zach_Lim » December 12th, 2014, 1:23 pm

To get you excited:

SFGS will be easy...very easy....

hellihooks

Post by hellihooks » December 12th, 2014, 1:35 pm

Zach_Lim wrote:To get you excited:

I'm starting to chub... :crazyeyes: :lol: :lol: :lol:

RobertH

Post by RobertH » December 12th, 2014, 2:09 pm

I might add (not specifically for you, hellihooks, because you already know this, but to others who may not):

"... and perfectly LEGAL."

No trespassing or anything of that sort is involved. Same for Cal Tigers and Long-Toeds.

Maybe I am being paranoid, but we don't want give the impression to wildlife agency personnel, who are known to read this forum from time, that we are trespassing on federal reserves or breaking any other laws in pursuit of these protected species.

Remember, though: These species are completely hands-off. No posing for pictures, etc. Just take in situ voucher shots and then kindly enter them into the NAHERP database.

Thank you,

Robert

gopher

Post by gopher » December 12th, 2014, 2:12 pm

It burns my eyes to see these! I want to go up so badly.

hellihooks

Post by hellihooks » December 12th, 2014, 2:55 pm

I see so many (obviously insitu) great shots of SFGS, that I almost start to wonder if, due to the hands off policy, they are becoming less 'flighty' than other snakes... or if we just have great photographers with good telephotos, who are good at spotting them before they spot us... :shock: I hope it's the former, for if it's the latter... I could be in trouble, as I am NOT a great photographer, with a good telephoto... :shock: I'm pretty good at spotting snakes before they see me, at least... :crazyeyes: jim

Zach_Lim

Post by Zach_Lim » December 12th, 2014, 3:09 pm

Thank you for the added note, Robert.

As Robert stated- the SFGS are never touched, bothered, photographed, etc- they are photographed in-situ and legally. They are observed at a well know, well published, open to the public area where countless visitors see and photograph them- all with the well wishes of the local rangers and docents.

RobertH

Post by RobertH » December 12th, 2014, 5:29 pm

they are becoming less 'flighty' than other snakes... or if we just have great photographers with good telephotos
Actually, it seems like the snakes are less "flighty" there because of the hands-off policy. They seem especially calm in fall/winter, presumably because of the somewhat cooler temperatures (though the difference to summer isn't very pronounced at all, hence they are active almost year-around). They will definitely see you before you see them - you will be walking on an exposed trail, they will be hidden in the bushes. So, it's more a matter of not spooking them by getting too close, making erratic moves, etc.

Then again, Nicholas's SFGS pictures I sent you the other day were taken with a 600mm zoom lens from a distance of about 10-15 feet. But your P60 has plenty of zoom. Just make sure you have a fast enough shutter speed (1/1000 sec. or thereabouts) when you do full zoom shots. Otherwise your pics will come out blurry due to camera shake (not that you ever take blurry pictures :lol: ).

Robert

hellihooks

Post by hellihooks » December 13th, 2014, 7:12 am

Cool!!! you know me... decent voucher shots are good enough for me... they trigger the actual memory of seeing the herp itself... which no camera can match... :thumb: funny thing about camera shake...when zooming in and focusing, my hands shake terribly, but once I depress the button to the final pre-shot focus... rock steady. It is a really 'altered states' moment in time, I really enjoy ;) jim
It's a P-80 btw... :crazyeyes:

hellihooks

Post by hellihooks » December 20th, 2014, 7:38 am

Perhaps my friends could pm me phone #'s for when I get up there... :D jim