Python reticulatus

Dryocalamus subannulatus

Dendrelaphis pictus

Dendrelaphis caudolineatus

Ahaetulla prasina
Kriss Kaspersen

Re: Pulau Pangkor (Malaysia): some snakes

Post by Kriss Kaspersen »

Nice post! N.sumatrans must have been an awesome experience!!

How is the weater on Pulau Pangkor at the moment? I´m in Kota Kinabalu right now, but the plan is to get over to P pangkor from the 1st of January. Hear the island is a bit rainy at the moment?

Cheers
Kriss

BUMMER! Just saw that that you wrote "several years ago" now :( To bad as my next post would be on any information on where you struck gold as in Naja ;)
dendrelaphis

Post by dendrelaphis »

Hi Kriss,
I can tell you that there's a nice trail in the northern part of the Island, at Pangkor Beach Resort. It starts at a small Chinese temple. You can easily walk (part of) this trail at night as well. I found most snakes (also Naja sumatrana) there. Looking forward to seeing what you turn up on Pangkor.
All the best,
Johan
Ruxs

Post by Ruxs »

Awesome! Love the Dryophiops, how did you find that one?
Kriss Kaspersen

Post by Kriss Kaspersen »

dendrelaphis wrote:Hi Kriss,
I can tell you that there's a nice trail in the northern part of the Island, at Pangkor Beach Resort. It starts at a small Chinese temple. You can easily walk (part of) this trail at night as well. I found most snakes (also Naja sumatrana) there. Looking forward to seeing what you turn up on Pangkor.
All the best,
Johan

Thanks for the info Johan. I will be in Pulau pangkor in three days, currently at Gaya Island, just outside Kota kinabalu. The local conservationist has given me a list of 26 species of snakes recorded on the Island, so when I'm not have to be a boyfriend I escape out in the jungle. As of now, i found 4 species of snakes on Gaya in the three days I've been here.

-Tropidolaemus wagleri
-Dendralaphis caudolineatus
-Calmaria bornensis (lifer)
-Oligdon octolineatus

Hope to flip out some more species before i leave for Pangkor. But since it´s no roads or traffic on the island, and road cruising not an option, I'm satisfied with the numbers and species found the old fashion way so far.

I probably drop you a PM once I'm at Pangkor.

Cheers
Kriss
dendrelaphis

Post by dendrelaphis »

Yeah, the Dryophiops was wonderful. I found two DOR on Santubong but never one alive, a huge frustration. They're so difficult to spot due to their colouration. But on Pangkor, I saw a snake on a branch, next to the lobby of our resort. Because of the way it was positioned on that branch, it was actually rather conspicuous and I immediately recognized it. But when I released it in some dense vegetation, it disappeared into thin air in just a few seconds. That made me realize how many I must have passed without noticing them.......

Kriss, good luck on Pangkor, and looking forward to seeing what you found!!