found a spotted turtle very sluggish near a river bed. help

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Saybs444

found a spotted turtle very sluggish near a river bed. help

Post by Saybs444 » December 26th, 2014, 4:10 pm

Please. :( I'm unsure about what I should do. Will it survive coming out of brumation this early. Winter has barely started, and this unseasonably warm weather I am certain is the cause of this.

spinifer

Re: found a spotted turtle very sluggish near a river bed. h

Post by spinifer » December 26th, 2014, 6:50 pm

Should be fine if you left it alone. Its not uncommon for turtles to emerge on warm days in the middle of winter. Bringing it indoors and warming it up even more is far worse for it.

ZantiMissKnit

Post by ZantiMissKnit » December 29th, 2014, 8:16 am

What Nate said. I've seen several people in the Northeast post about seeing turtles basking in this unusually warm weather. Instinct will make them go back into hibernation as it gets cooler. I believe spotteds are fairly cold-tolerant as well; I see them fairly early in the year, and then they disappear when it starts to get hot.

Mike VanValen

Post by Mike VanValen » December 29th, 2014, 6:08 pm

The spotted will most likely return to it's overwintering spot. I hope you left it alone.

beemaster

Post by beemaster » February 15th, 2015, 4:59 pm

ZantiMissKnit wrote:What Nate said. I've seen several people in the Northeast post about seeing turtles basking in this unusually warm weather. Instinct will make them go back into hibernation as it gets cooler. I believe spotteds are fairly cold-tolerant as well; I see them fairly early in the year, and then they disappear when it starts to get hot.
They are consistently the earliest turtles I see in the year, sometimes two full weeks before I start seeing the painteds out.