Mississippi herpers

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Aaron1993

Mississippi herpers

Post by Aaron1993 »

So I'm wondering if there's many people in south ms on here? Between here and on fb groups there's a fair bunch over in Louisiana. But I haven't found too many people from mississippi

Grover Brown

Re: Mississippi herpers

Post by Grover Brown »

Might just be you and me... :P

Coluber Constrictor

Post by Coluber Constrictor »

I am from Mobile, AL but I get out to MS (mostly George and Jackson Counties) several times a year. I know there is some great herping out there but I usually do not have great luck in that state (probably purely by coincidence). There is still some WILD habitat out that way and sometimes I do find some cool things.

Aaron1993

Post by Aaron1993 »

I honestly think everyone is repressed here. I mean you go telling someone you're going looking for snakes in the woods and they look at you like you're addled. It's seriously against the consensus to be interested in herps. At least from where I'm at.

Tamara D. McConnell

Post by Tamara D. McConnell »

I'm in Mobile but I spend a fair amount of time in south Mississippi.

Aaron1993

Post by Aaron1993 »

Let me know next time you're over. I attend college in hattiesburg but I live in Pearl River county. I saw your pictures. You've seen some great stuff

Tamara D. McConnell

Aaron, Raymond and I will definitely holler at you next time we're gonna be in your neck of the woods. Some of the best folks I've ever met are herpers...always pleased to meet another member of the tribe.

jayder85

Post by jayder85 »

I used to live there and helped the Hattiesburg/ Desoto area extensively. Lots of good stuff to see there, from EDBs and Corals to Black Pines and Rainbow Snakes!

Aaron1993

Post by Aaron1993 »

jayder85 wrote:I used to live there and helped the Hattiesburg/ Desoto area extensively. Lots of good stuff to see there, from EDBs and Corals to Black Pines and Rainbow Snakes!
I'm still iffy on snakes. I grew up being taught to kill them on sight. Except king snakes. Im quite new to herping so I've only flipped one snake before and that was an Eastern Ribbon snake a few weeks ago. I'm mostly looking for amphibians. I'm interested in finding new snakes though because I can count on one hand the number of species I've seen in the wild.

Aaron1993

Post by Aaron1993 »

Going to bump this up. Seeing as how it seems herping season is here for the south, I'm looking for herping buddies in the south ms area. Especially if you know of any areas around hattiesburg that you could point me to.

Tamara D. McConnell

Aaron,
I sent you a PM, which I hope is helpful.
If I were looking to herp an area I hadn't explored before, I'd go to the naherp database and look to see what has been found, when, and in what counties. Then I'd go to Google Earth and pinpoint likely areas. I'd research what types of habitat are likely to harbor my target animals. I'd look for areas where that habitat occurs and where I am also allowed to go (WMAs, national forests, state parks, etc.).
Sometimes it's fun to fly blind...just drive somewhere and do off-the-cuff exploring. But if my time is limited, as it almost always is, I try to do enough research beforehand so that I can maximize results in the field.
Best wishes for a successful season! Please keep us posted as to your finds.

Grover Brown

Post by Grover Brown »

Also be sure to check out the Mississippi Museum of Natural Science/Dept. of Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks' online resource of MS county records:

http://www.mdwfp.com/seek-study/bio-col ... tions.aspx

And just poke around.

Coluber Constrictor

Post by Coluber Constrictor »

That is a really cool site. Some interesting records in there.