South carolina

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

davhug1

South carolina

Post by davhug1 »

researching some south carolina parks for snakes when i hit the area this summer, congaree national park looks real good for snakes ( cottonmouths) in particular, anyone have experience with this area. Not looking for specifics of course.

umop apisdn

Re: South carolina

Post by umop apisdn »

Yes, Congaree is a good place for cottonmouths. Should be a good bit around there. In the bit of time I tried the area, I got rat snakes, cottonmouths, copperheads, canebrakes, water snakes, and garter snakes. A good variety of frogs around there, too.

cherper

Post by cherper »

Dave, if you are planning to go to Congaree you might as well come down to the Augusta area where I live. It's only about an hour and a half south of Congaree and we have the most dense population of Cottons in GA. Among other snakes as well. You can find them with temps in the 50's.

Cary

davhug1

Post by davhug1 »

cherper wrote:Dave, if you are planning to go to Congaree you might as well come down to the Augusta area where I live. It's only about an hour and a half south of Congaree and we have the most dense population of Cottons in GA. Among other snakes as well. You can find them with temps in the 50's.

Cary
i just might do that sir