It is currently November 24th, 2017, 3:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Morocco - january 2015
PostPosted: January 23rd, 2015, 11:43 am 

I travelled down to Agadir, in the south west of Morocco, between 10-17.january with the wife - after speaking to some other scandinavian herpers that had been in the area around Agadir some yeras back, who had seen several different lizard and gecko species in december. I had high hopes on seeing several species including some of the smaller geckos and agamas. But on daytime, there was no life in the reptiles at all ! I found only some Mauremys and off course frogs. At night time there was high activity on the Tarentola mauritanica in Agadir, and some kilometers south of Agadir, near Sidi R'bat I found several T.chazilea. But, as I'm going back in april, it was good to get to know the area and the maniacal driving habits of the locals and how the police controls works (I only got one speeding ticket, one parking ticket and one telling of by a police officer only speaking french up in Atlas)

For those not sure where Morocco is :)

Here is the animals I encountered, and got pictures of :

Tarentola mauritanica

Amietophrynus mauritanicus (?)

Bufotes boulengeri

Pelophylax saharica

Mauremys leprosa saharica

Tarentola chazilae

Profile WWW 
 Post subject: Re: Morocco - january 2015
PostPosted: January 23rd, 2015, 12:25 pm 

Such beautiful photographs! Next time you will see even more, and hopefully not have any more conversations with the local police.

John

Profile WWW 
PostPosted: January 24th, 2015, 4:50 am 

Those are gorgeous pictures! So nice to see basking turtles that aren't red eared sliders as well!!

PostPosted: January 24th, 2015, 9:58 am 

Great stuff, thanks for sharing!

pete wrote:
Those are gorgeous pictures! So nice to see basking turtles that aren't red eared sliders as well!!

Funny, I was thinking the same thing.

Profile WWW 
PostPosted: January 24th, 2015, 10:49 am 

Great photos. Unfortunately the police check points seem to get worse the further south you go.

Profile WWW 
PostPosted: January 24th, 2015, 11:15 am 

Ribbit wrote:
Such beautiful photographs! Next time you will see even more, and hopefully not have any more conversations with the local police.

John

I think travelling in Morocco means having to have conversations with the police - It's hard not to in some or the other way. It has to be said, they are all more or less nice and try to explain things in a civil manner

pete wrote:

Thanks!

mrichardson wrote:
Great photos. Unfortunately the police check points seem to get worse the further south you go.

The check points where everywhere, but after traveling down to both Guelmin and Agadir - I think it was much the same. But the french talking guy up in a small village in the Atlas was a bit more on the etiquette on stopping before the check point :)

Profile WWW 
PostPosted: January 25th, 2015, 9:07 am 

The check points where everywhere, but after traveling down to both Guelmin and Agadir - I think it was much the same. But the french talking guy up in a small village in the Atlas was a bit more on the etiquette on stopping before the check point :)[/quote]

We had some interesting experiences at police checkpoints while driving from Agadir to Dakhla (Western Sahara) last year. We only received one fine (rear passenger stupidly wasn't wearing his seat belt) but several more police asked for bribes, alcohol and cigarettes (we had no alcohol or tobacco!). Extremely tired while driving through the night I completely failed to see one poorly marked checkpoint in the middle of the desert. That didn't go down too well with the two police officers!

Having our passport details, occupations etc on printed sheets certainly saved time at each checkpoint, as did remaining polite. Some officers even joked with us, perhaps wondering what we were doing so far away from the tourist areas. Others were a little suspicious and asked to see proof that we were photographing wildlife and not military bases.

All that said we had a fantastic time in Morocco and Western Sahara and found all other locals extremely friendly. It's certainly somewhere I would like to return to before too long.

Profile WWW