Oh The Irony.

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Fundad

Oh The Irony.

Post by Fundad »

This Uta does not like what he is reading, and to be honest I don't blame him.

A picture is worth a 1,000 words.
repaphin

Re: Oh The Irony.

Post by repaphin »

Great capture!
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

:lol: :lol: :lol: although...ostensible more apropos than ironic... :crazyeyes: :lol: :lol:
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

Yes, ostensibly...
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

Brian Hubbs wrote:Yes, ostensibly...
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

gotta hand it to ya helli...you keep the forum moving... :thumb:
Porter

Post by Porter »

So, all I'm thinking is... what's hidden beneath the hint of reptilian presence? Did anyone flip that for sale sign to find out? Hopefully nothing endangered...
Porter

Post by Porter »

...yet
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

If a lizard is on top of a board there usually isn't anything underneath except more lizards.
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

Brian Hubbs wrote:If a lizard is on top of a board there usually isn't anything underneath except more lizards.
Never heard that before... :shock: or noticed that... but then again... i flip far fewer boards than average... i flip rocks... like a real man... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

Go out and flip boards for 2 springs and tell me how many snakes were under boards that either had a lizard on top or one that a lizard ran under...applies to rocks too. The prey is not going to take shelter where the predator is sitting...you don't have to have heard it before...it's frickin' common sense.
chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

Brian Hubbs wrote:Go out and flip boards for 2 springs and tell me how many snakes were under boards that either had a lizard on top or one that a lizard ran under...applies to rocks too. The prey is not going to take shelter where the predator is sitting...you don't have to have heard it before...it's frickin' common sense.
Get back out to Kansas soon and see for yourself/remind yourself...lizards sharing a rock with snakes, little snakes sharing a rock with bigger, ophiophagous snakes, snakes and toads, lizards and toads...and all with ants (sometimes). But then again, CA ain't KS. :P
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

Chris: I think you need to take notes on what you see sharing a rock or board with what...you might be surprised...milks and ringnecks do not matter, as milks don't usually eat ringnecks, but just try to note how many milks and skinks, or milks and lined snakes you see under the same stuff...it won't be many. At least, it hasn't been in my experience.
chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

Brian Hubbs wrote:Chris: I think you need to take notes on what you see sharing a rock or board with what...you might be surprised...milks and ringnecks do not matter, as milks don't usually eat ringnecks, but just try to note how many milks and skinks, or milks and lined snakes you see under the same stuff...it won't be many. At least, it hasn't been in my experience.
I haven't found enough lined snakes to confirm or deny, but very true with milks and ringnecks. I'd have to go through my pictures to see what snakes were with skinks and/or toads.
Fundad

Post by Fundad »

Hoggwash.. Brian is my Good Friend, and he knows this, but him and I argue like brothers, especially regarding this subject, and I have proved it out over and over, and he still sticks to it... jibberish hogwash. :lol: Phewie

Here is a UTA and a YOY Helleri under the same board, found 30 minutes later in the day (after the for sale picture was taken, The UTA was really close to the Helleri..

Fundad
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

I doubt helleri eat a lot of utas...they like baby mice...doosh...!
Fundad

Post by Fundad »

Ya, UtA's know a little skinny helleri would Never eat them. Rightttt!
Ya big dummy..LMAO
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

Helleri bout always start out on lizards... hell their venom goes through otogenic changes as the mature... from lizard effective to mammal effective... :roll:
I DO often wonder what's up with big kings with other smaller snakes under boards... all ready full? What small snake in it's right mind would hang with a big king??? :shock: :lol: :lol:

BTW Hubbs Never heard that before... :shock: or noticed that... see how politely I called BS... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Youse guys jus' r'member the few times you've seen dat stuff an tink it hapins all da time...well, it dunt...
Porter

Post by Porter »

I gotta call ya on that one Hubbsy. I flipped my lifer delta brown band under some thickish slabbs of cast iron with about five bluebellies under there with him. Let him go in the same place. Went back the following day and there were 3 liz, same brown banded, and a huge bump in his belly :lol:

I gotta agree with Jim. I flipped countless rocks and logs age 10-17 . A lot of gopher snakes hanging out with rodent nest under the same log (and boards)! I suspect they eat a couple baby every few days until they finish the nest or just relax with a full belly until digested. Seems like they herd them/save some for later.

Im willing to suggest the reason you probably never see snake under those lizard boards is because Hinds was there the day before and got the snake :lol: :lol: jk just foolin Hubbs :beer:
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

Hey I know Hubbs... you could write a book on it... :crazyeyes: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

Hey I know...you could shut it... :lol: :x

Even a blind squirrel gets a nut once in awhile, but not all the time...same goes for your lizard and snakes under same board scenarios. Once in awhile, but not all the time...

Plus, for you people with reading handicaps, I said "usually" the snake will not be there, I did not say "never"...go back and read the words again.

WINNING! 8-)
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

You can bet I'll be tracking it this year...so... i'll get back to ya in a year... :crazyeyes: :beer:

BTW... on the blind squirrel thing... do they have to be born blind, or can I go ahead and blind them myself??? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Porter

Post by Porter »

Pfft... you went back and edited in the, "usually" :lol:

Huh...? How can he "shut" a book that hasn't been written yet? :roll:

I don't know about a squirrel, but if I were blind id likely go nuts... :|

On the flip side... some might say that you'd have to be blind to see I isn't already nuts :roll:
Porter

Post by Porter »

Also... I think what you ment to say was: Once in awhile, we get to see what's happening all the time...

Winning 8-)
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice... shame on... uh... wait a minute... what I'm saying is you can't fool a fool twice... no... that ain't right either... you can't fool me twice... yeah... that's the ticket... :mrgreen: MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

I did not edit the word "usually"...it was always there...and I meant for him to shut his pie hole...

Still WINNING!

Helli: Was that a George Bush impression...?
Porter

Post by Porter »

I know you didn't edit it, there would be edit txt beneath...duh

I know you ment piehole, I'm clever word flipping...duh

What we see happening under boards, logs, rocks, ect... is only a small peek into the world going on underground. So until proper evidence is found, my theory is sound (yes, im purposely wording that in a way that proper evidence would prove me wrong...I'm cool like ;) )

Also, I do believe that two fuzzies in the nest are better than one fuzzie in the Bush... wait a minute. That can't be right. Two fuzzie in the belly, are good as two fuzzies in the bush...no, still not right. Two fuzz in the tum, and two fuzz in Bush = four fuzz in tum, and later out the toosh. Agh, screw it. Snakes don't even have hands :sleep:
Porter

Post by Porter »

My logic is similar to this diagram of the universe... at first, it looks like a jumbled mess. But when taking the time to give it good look, ignoring mis-presumed assumption. You will see that it is not only in perfect form and balance. But that the beauty of it is that it compliments all sides :beer:

20150222_203143-1 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

Very confusing, none the less :lol:
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

Hmmm...
Porter

Post by Porter »

:lol:

...I don't think I'm buying either
Porter

Post by Porter »

In fact, if there are A royal toads on that land... I don't think anybody should be buying it.