Breakfast - the most important meal of the day

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

lateralis

Breakfast - the most important meal of the day

Post by lateralis » February 18th, 2015, 6:01 pm

I usually get a flood of pics following my venomous creature safety talk and this year did not disappoint... As seen by one of our staff recently in Riverside County.Image

Cheers
Lat

VICtort

Re: Breakfast - the most important meal of the day

Post by VICtort » February 18th, 2015, 6:48 pm

That is amazing and refreshing to see folks shoot photos of rattlesnakes (without killing or harassing them). I often wondered if snakes would eat an adult chuckwalla, now we know... Fascinating photo, be sure to see the other post of C. ruber consuming a bunny.

Vic

lateralis

Post by lateralis » February 18th, 2015, 9:05 pm

Howdy Vic
Thanks and yes the message I try to send home during my presentation is appreciate nature in all it's forms just maintain a safe distance :D
I did see the bunny pic and almost threw this pic up there but did not want to hijack the OP.
Cheers

jonathan

Post by jonathan » February 18th, 2015, 9:54 pm

That's just a great shot of activity. I wonder how he encountered it.

Fieldherper

Post by Fieldherper » February 19th, 2015, 4:10 am

Awesome! Wonder if he got the chuck from the rocks & ended up in the open?

regalringneck

Re: Yoe Chuck, whats for breakfast

Post by regalringneck » February 19th, 2015, 6:21 am

.. very intrsting, i walked up on a coachwhip once in a similar config. but spooked him into releasing the slimy bloated chuck ... on a lark i washed off the slime, rubbed the dead chuck against my shirt & then gave her a puff of air & some little chest compressions & soon one eye opened, then the other .... probably more horrified by me than the snake :p
So heres my visual contribution to the discussion; my backyard chuckster mngmt program ...

hastas rxr

gbin

Post by gbin » February 19th, 2015, 6:17 pm

That's a great anecdote, John! I once successfully gave mouth-to-mouth to a captive Sonoran lyre snake that I'd accidentally put into thermal shock (it's a long story which you might already have heard), too! :lol:

Nice photo series to start off this thread, lat! :thumb:

Gerry

jonathan

Post by jonathan » February 20th, 2015, 12:43 am

Ha - Scott Trageser told me that he successfully gave mouth-to-mouth to a snake (I think maybe a Yellow-bellied Water Snake) that had accidentally drowned when its cotton bag was left in a puddle. Herpers appear to be quite prolific at reptile resuscitation!

lateralis

Post by lateralis » February 20th, 2015, 8:23 am

Thanks GBIn I was impressed when I saw the picture and figured it needed to be shared.

Regal that is a fine looking chuck, pity they are never around when I'm out there maybe this year now that I'm dun with school.

My only feeding encounter like this involved a coachwhip and a desert iguana in DV NP. In that case the snake spit the lizard out as I came around a creosote bush. Snake went down the hole he ambushed the lizard from and the iguana beat feet for another piece of real state.

...cotton bag and a puddle? That sounds like water boarding :shock: :lol:

Fieldherper I think the chuck was in the wash foraging on creosote or something, there was a rocky hillside about 30' away.

jonathan

Post by jonathan » February 20th, 2015, 11:17 am

lateralis wrote:My only feeding encounter like this involved a coachwhip and a desert iguana in DV NP. In that case the snake spit the lizard out as I came around a creosote bush. Snake went down the hole he ambushed the lizard from and the iguana beat feet for another piece of real state.
Interesting - my closest was a coachwhip and a desert spiny at Joshua Tree NP. My arrival on the scene also appeared to cause the snake to lose his meal, and the lizard was still quite well.

Bryan_Hughes

Post by Bryan_Hughes » February 20th, 2015, 8:08 pm

That would be an awesome thing to see. I've never seen a snake eating a chuck!

Here are a couple of lizard eaters, if you don't mind some additions to the thread.

lateralis

Post by lateralis » February 21st, 2015, 7:05 pm

Jonathon - yep, I can count on one hand how many feeding events I have come across in the wild that involved snakes w/o using many of the fingers on that hand...

Nice pics Brian! Is that snake in some other critters enclosure? I have a neat failure that involved an overambitious cerastes and a large krat down in Imperial county, but this one from Belize really caught me off guard...

The fellow I handed this turtle off to let it go and in the process it ended up on its back on the bank of the pond it had been found in, when said fellow bent over to retrieve the turtle he called out about a "watersnake" eating a frog and should he grab it for me. I told him no let me come over and see what type of snake it was, good thing...

cheers

reptologist

Post by reptologist » February 22nd, 2015, 7:05 am

I really enjoyed the previous pictures and thought I would include a few from a hiking trip at Lake George NY. My girlfriend and I hiked for about 4 hours looking for wildlife and found this snake about 100 yards from the car on the way out.
We observed the snake for about half an hour and then left. We drove back into town, had lunch and then decided to drive back to the spot to see if the snake was still around. Luckily it was just moving off.