A few amphibians...

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

ratsnakehaven

A few amphibians...

Post by ratsnakehaven »

The ones on top are the female Couches; bottom left is the male Couches, Scaphiopus couchii; and bottom right is a Great Plains toad, Anaxyrus cognatus...
Notice the difference in pupil shape on the two species.

A Couches spadefoot profile...
Be aware that Couches spadefoots have toxic skin secretions that can be very irritating to some people. Make sure you wash your hands after handling and don't put your fingers in your eyes, mouth, or anywhere sensitive afterwards.

Pic showing the spades on the feet...
ratsnakehaven

Re: A few amphibians...

Post by ratsnakehaven »

Although I had to work at these, I finally concluded, with some help from a couple friends, that these are Plains spadefoot toads, Spea bombifrons. ..
This photo shows a dark spadefoot with a fairly distinct pattern on the back, especially in the older ones.

Closer look at the pattern...

A profile view...
The "boss" bt. the eyes helps i.d. this toad. Also, they seem to have quite a pugdy nose. Another characteristic, learned from others, is that they do not smell like peanuts. It seems the closely related Mexican spadefoot, Spea multiplicata does smell like peanuts (thanks, Ben).

A view of their habitat with a few cattle in the background...
The Plains spadefoot is a grassland species which shares habitat with cattle and you can see what they can do to the habitat.
ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven »

A Great Plains toad, Anaxyrus cognatus....
Feel free to add images of your interesting amphibians to this strand, especially ones that aren't represented, yet.
ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven »

Hyla arenicolor, canyon treefrog, in a mountain stream...
ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven »

Our largest anuran, Mr. Bigfoot, the Sonoran Desert toad (i.e. Colorado River toad), Ollotis alvaria, peacefully waiting for anything that will fit in its mouth to come along....
I'll leave off here, until I can find some better pics of some of our other amphibians. Meanwhile, feel free to share your favorite images of amphibs you've seen this season...

:beer: Terry :crazyeyes:
Steve Bledsoe

Post by Steve Bledsoe »

Hey Terry,
Here are a few photos to add to your string of some recent AZ finds, and a few from a couple of previous seasons

Great Plains Toad, Anaxyrus cognatus

Western Green Toad, Anaxyrus debilis isidior

Chiricahua Leopard Frog, Lithobates chiricahuensis

Lowland Leopard Frog, Lithobates yavapaiensis

Sonoran Green Toad, Anaxyrus retiformis

ThamnElegans24

Post by ThamnElegans24 »

Great stuff Terry and Steve!

How about a couple that rarely get posted.

Arizona Tiger Salamander

Arizona Toad

ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven »

Wow, thanks guys. I was hoping we'd get some of those, like green toads, tiger sally, and others that I don't have. Let's keep it going and see if we can get all of AZ's amphibs on here. I'll post some more when I get some more time, but only have 2 or 3 more that haven't been posted. Later, I'll start a strand for snakes, lizards, etc, and see what happens.

Best....TC 8-)
Steve Bledsoe

Post by Steve Bledsoe »

Hey Terry -
I have a few more fairly nice photos of some other AZ species if you don't mind more photos from years past. I'd be happy to post them.

That Tiger Sally is a great find. Something I don't expect to see on my occasional AZ visits. I'm a little confused about the entire Arizona Tiger Salamander thing. I was under the impression that the Barred Tiger, A. m. mavortium, was an import, introduced by the sport fishing industry as bass bait in the form of larvae, "water dogs" if you will. Are all 3 forms, A. m. mavortium, A. m. nebulosum and A. m. stebbinsi native to AZ?
ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven »

Steve, I was going for amphibs this year at first, but if we could get all the amphib species on this strand, I wouldn't mind combining different years. As for the sallys, I've never found one in AZ, and don't really know much about them.

Thanks for the green toad info, 'cus I missed i.d.'ed the one I recently found... ;)

For the heck of it....Western green toad, Anaxyrus debilis insidior.
One of the reasons I do posts like this is for educational reasons, both for me and for others. This helps us make accurate entries to the database.
Big parotid glands on these little guys.

Cheers... :beer:
Steve Bledsoe

Post by Steve Bledsoe »

A few more from previous years ....

Red-spotted Toad, Anaxyrus punctatus

Canyon Treefrog, Hyla arenicolor

Couch's Spadefoot, Scaphiopus couchii

ThamnElegans24

Post by ThamnElegans24 »

Here's a few more.

Arizona Toad

Barred Tiger Salamander

Bullfrog

Great Plains Toad

Woodhouse's Toad

Western Narrow-mouthed Toad

ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven »

Great stuff guys.

Steve, I was hoping someone would post red-spotted toads. My current pics are awful. I'll have to dig some out from last year I think.
And that was a nice series on the Couches. The eye is fully dilated there.

Ben, very nice series. That Arizona toad would be a lifer for me. I'm going to have to get up north one of these days and see some of those amphibs. I haven't seen any of the sallys, yet, either. Awesome Woodhouse's...I have a hard time finding those. Happy for the bullfrog pic too, mine are once again awful. Finally, that narrow-mouthed pic is nice. Haven't seen them, yet, this year.

Thanks for all the help guys. I'll see if I can dig up some more of mine a little later. .. 8-)
ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven »

July, 2013, down near the Mexican border, found the Mexican spadefoots and red-spotted toads breeding in the same stream... :)

Recently the Mexican spadefoot has been divided into two subspecies: the Chihuahuan Desert spadefoot, Spea multiplicata stagnalis, and the mountain spadefoot, S. m. mulitplicata. I believe our spadefoot in AZ, is the Chihuahuan Desert variety...
First pic shows the pattern, which is somewhat similar to the Plains spadefoot pattern.
Another of the first Mexican spadefoot...

Another Mexican spadefoot showing some variation in color/pattern...
These are both obvious males as they were calling and their front legs are readied for amplexus.
ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven »

The Mexican spadefoots were pretty much side by side with the red-spotted toads. This series is of the red-spotted, Anaxyrus punctatus. Here's a female waiting...
....and a male accomodating...
The male again...
...and with his partner...

Finally, a few more males in breeding condition...

Looking forward to any special photos other folks have... :beer:
Rancorrye

Post by Rancorrye »

Hey Terry, hope you don't mind a Utah guy throwing one in that you don't have up yet.

Here's a Baja California Treefrog from 2013 (Mohave Co.)

ImagePacific Tree Frog by Rye Jones, on Flickr

Rye
ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven »

Hey, Rye, thanks a bunch. That's one we hardly ever see here in AZ. Feel free to post on any of the amphibs you see here.

TC 8-)
Steve Bledsoe

Post by Steve Bledsoe »

Rye - Excellent photo of the Baja Treefrog

Terry - I know of a little lake, not too far from where you live, that's insanely overpopulated with bullfrogs. We should organize a NAHERP Frog-Leg BBQ one weekend! :)

On an even more serious note ..... I was thinking it may not be a bad idea to post the exact location of the lake here on the forum so anyone wanting to remove some of the tasty little bastards could do so. It's not like I'd be divulging any secret herp spots as the lake is open to the public and well used by local residents. Anyway, I'm sure the bullfrogs have already eaten all of the native amphibian species there. We'd be doing the leopard frogs and salamanders (and the AZGFD) a huge favor! :thumb:
ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven »

The Great Basin spadefoot, Spea intermontana, is also found up in Mojave, Co, AZ. Anyone have pics of those? :crazyeyes:
ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven »

Steve Bledsoe wrote:Terry - I know of a little lake, not too far from where you live, that's insanely overpopulated with bullfrogs. We should organize a NAHERP Frog-Leg BBQ one weekend! :)

On an even more serious note ..... I was thinking it may not be a bad idea to post the exact location of the lake here on the forum so anyone wanting to remove some of the tasty little bastards could do so. It's not like I'd be divulging any secret herp spots as the lake is open to the public and well used by local residents. Anyway, I'm sure the bullfrogs have already eaten all of the native amphibian species there. We'd be doing the leopard frogs and salamanders (and the AZGFD) a huge favor! :thumb:

Steve - not sure which lake you're speaking of, so shoot me an email with the name ([email protected]), or don't worry if it's Pena Blanca, because we've mentioned that one before. Certainly the native amphibs would benefit by a reduction in bullfrogs there, as well as the crayfish, which are even more of a concern, I believe. I don't think there's any restriction on take of bullfrogs and crayfish, which are not native, and are in the streams emptying into the lake, but would like confirmation on that. Many of the herps in and around the lake are "listed," or have concerns by herpers, as well as AZGFD.

Personally, I already have taken some of the crayfish and bullfrogs from the area, and I might add that they are very tasty. I think it's a wonderful idea and would be willing to host a barbeque and pool party at my house. Are you thinking this year still, or of waiting until next season where we could get there with more rain and water in the streams?

Here's one of the protected species from the area...
Chiricahua leopard frog, Lithobates chiricahuensis
ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven »

Bullfrogs can be very common in ponds and dominate over any creature they can fit into their mouths. This is one of many bullfrogs from a pond on a golf course in Green Valley, AZ. Unfortunately, I don't get very good pics from my current camera at night and from a distance....
This is a private course and I don't think they'd like it if someone started taking frogs from their ponds. It would be nice though if those ponds could be used for native frogs and toads.
Rancorrye

Post by Rancorrye »

Here's a couple red-spotted toads and a woodhouse from the same area as the treefrog

ImageRed-spotted Toad-Anaxyrus punctatus by Rye Jones, on Flickr

ImageRed-spotted Toad-Anaxyrus punctatus by Rye Jones, on Flickr

ImageWoodhouse Toad by Rye Jones, on Flickr
ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven »

Great looking photos, Rye. That Woodhouse's looks a little different from ours in the southeast. :thumb:
Rancorrye

Post by Rancorrye »

ratsnakehaven wrote:Great looking photos, Rye. That Woodhouse's looks a little different from ours in the southeast. :thumb:
I've seen a few in that area that seem to have a lot more yellow in them than what I'm used to seeing too. They're actually really pretty, in my opinion. At least for a big ugly toad that is :lol:
ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven »

Tim Cota gave me permission to post this image of a spadefoot from northcentral AZ.
Seems to be either a Plains or a Great Basin spadefoot. Would be nice if it were a Great Basin, Spea intermontana, as we don't have one of those on this strand, yet, but it's sort of between the ranges of the two. It could even be an intergrade. Any comments welcome, as usual. Would like to have a positive i.d. one day...;)
ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven »

Southwestern Woodhouse's toad, Anaxyrus woodhousii woodhousii, found in southern Pima County several years ago...
Great Plains toad, Anaxyrus cognatus, for comparison...Image
A lot of similarities, I think.
reako45

Post by reako45 »

What an outstanding post! Made my night, man. AZ has some fantastic amphibs.

reako45
ratsnakehaven

Post by ratsnakehaven »

Thanks. Love amphibian season... ;)
jonathan

Post by jonathan »

Nice post! I'll keep checking until someone posts a Pseudoeurycea bellii.
Jeroen Speybroeck

Post by Jeroen Speybroeck »

jonathan wrote:Nice post! I'll keep checking until someone posts a Pseudoeurycea bellii.
:lol: