Cincinnati Ohio area herpers and intro

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

ohiojeff

Cincinnati Ohio area herpers and intro

Post by ohiojeff »

I got into herping about 2 years ago when my then 5 and 7 years old sons got really interested in finding herps at parks and hiking. 2 years ago, we got hooked up with the naturalist at a local state park and went out and saw the spotted salamander migration. Last year, we went to the same place and all summer went out and tracked the development of the various species at that particular pond. My older son is still very interested in herps (we have a pet corn snake now) and I'm trying to find new places to herp to increase the diversity of what we've found.

The temps this week along with rain will hopefully mean the spotted and jeffs will come out later this week. So I'm sure we'll be out a few nights this week to witness it again.

Is anyone else here from around the area and know of any groups and organizations that we can get involved in? We mainly hike at the nearest state park, local parks with creeks and also some property owned by the Cincinnati Nature Center. Luckily, that gives us plenty to see and my now 9 year old is pretty content with whatever we see. Eventually I would like to go down to the smokies and Florida, but I'm a novice at all this. I'm pretty much learning along with my son most of the time.

Thanks,
Jeff
pjfishpa

Re: Cincinnati Ohio area herpers and intro

Post by pjfishpa »

I don't know of any organizations to join but I can totally relate w you. Got into taking pics of herps the same way ... W my two kids (now 13 and 15). They still dig getting out looking for herps w me.

Ohio: Lots of public land East of you full of cool stuff to find. Shawnee, Brush Creek, etc.. There are a few Ohio specific books you might want to look into. "Ohio Salamander Atlas" by Pfingsten and Matson is great. And there is a ODW booklet on Ohio herps - simple but good.

Smokies: You will have a blast there w your kids salamandering. We go for part of their spring break maybe every other year. They still like it. Get the "Amphibians of GSMNP" by Dodd for sure.

PM sent.
rtdunham

Post by rtdunham »

ohiojeff wrote:…I'm trying to find new places to herp to increase the diversity of what we've found
Jeff, you can contact the greater Cincinnati herpetological society at [email protected]. I'd recommend it. Kentucky hosts a reptile weekend at natural bridge state park each spring, talks and field trips and very kid-friendly, in the range of a number of snakes and salamanders not found in cincy. It's not to be missed.

Terry
rtdunham

Post by rtdunham »

Natural bridge state resort park 606-663-2214
ohiojeff

Post by ohiojeff »

Thanks, Pjfishpa and Terry.

I have heard of the weekend at Natural Bridge, but unfortunately we're scheduled to go to a Bioblitz up here at Caesar Creek State park that weekend.

I have contacted a ranger at another nearby State park and gotten some good information as well. Thanks for your help.