Warm Enough?

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

JBBoiler

Warm Enough?

Post by JBBoiler » March 11th, 2015, 10:59 am

In a typical year, I am too late to find a salamander migration. The reason being that I don't like to go too early and get skunked. I am thinking the weather looks pretty good for Friday evening. I have researched a location that I believe will produce, but it is an hour and a half drive. I know there are no guarantees, but I would appreciate any opinions as to whether the weather looks good to those of you more experienced with witnessing this event.

Here is the forecast:

Thursday: Partly cloudy - High 61 / Low 39 0% chance of rain

Friday: Cloudy - High 57 / Low 46 80% chance of rain during the day 90% at night - Up to 1/2" of rain expected.

Saturday: Cloudy - High 55 / Low 44 70% chance of rain in the morning.

Any help would be tremendously appreciated. There is also a frog that I would like to find from this area. If the salamanders are out, is there also a good likelihood that frogs will be with them?

Thanks!

John B

pjfishpa

Re: Warm Enough?

Post by pjfishpa » March 12th, 2015, 2:17 am

Sounds about right. Would prefer the nighttime temps to be in the 50's ... But if it were me cabin fever would get me out if I had the time to do so!

ohiojeff

Post by ohiojeff » March 12th, 2015, 6:02 am

I've been skunked the past two nights at a place that they will come to, so I know how you feel. But we would rather see something than miss it, although our drive is about half of yours.

I read somewhere that ideally you want a 3 day mean temperature of 41 degrees, but I know there are a lot of other factors like ground temperature and precipitation. I've only just started this 2 years ago, so I'm not expert, though. We're hoping to get out tonight to check once again and then be out this weekend. Hopefully the rain will definitely bring them out.

And where we go, the frogs are definitely out in more abundance than the salamanders. And they're a lot louder, too.

Good luck!

Jefferson

Post by Jefferson » March 12th, 2015, 7:17 am

From what I'm reading, the chance of rain in the Midwest has dropped to nearly zero for Friday night all of the sudden. I don't know how warm it is in N. Indiana, but I can say that even a huge rainstorm still wouldn't bring the sallies out quite yet in metro Detroit tomorrow. It's still 5-10 degrees too cold for it to happen in my opinion. Last year, the Tigers and Smallmouths moved when it was 43 degrees at midnight on April 7 (I missed it), and the Spotted sals moved a day or two later when we hit overnight lows better than 45.

JBBoiler

Post by JBBoiler » March 12th, 2015, 9:58 am

Thank you very much for the insights! The forecast is still showing 90% chance of rain, but the expectation dropped from 1/2" to 1/4". I will keep an eye on the radar tomorrow and make a last minute decision on whether or not to make the trip. That cabin fever will probably get me out. I will let you know if I see anything.

Thanks again!

JBBoiler

Post by JBBoiler » March 13th, 2015, 10:35 am

Wow, how fast the forecast can change. 90% chance of rain to 7%. A low temp of 46 and it is 44 at 1:30 pm. Looks as if I will stick with the cabin fever a while longer.

jason folt

Post by jason folt » March 13th, 2015, 4:48 pm

Honestly the radar is your friend with the precipitation. Otherwise, you might not want to hear this, but you won't learn for yourself what works unless you get out there and strike out sometime. I find even if I am a little early for the main salamander migration, you still find a few salamanders that also had cabin fever.

good luck.

J