Good rubber boa weather

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Brian Eagar

Good rubber boa weather

Post by Brian Eagar »

Conditions are nice right now for boas.
I went out for a stroll on my lunch to see if I could see my first rubber boa of the year.
I wasn't disappointed. Found one in some leaves.
Here are some pics

Imagerubber boa_03-12-2015_152540 by brianeagar, on Flickr

Imagerubber boa_03-12-2015_151118 by brianeagar, on Flickr

Imagerubber boa_03-12-2015_152924 by brianeagar, on Flickr

Imagerubber boa_03-12-2015_154056 by brianeagar, on Flickr

Imagerubber boa_03-12-2015_154220 by brianeagar, on Flickr
TimCO

Re: Good rubber boa weather

Post by TimCO »

We need some Charina action.
Brian Eagar

Post by Brian Eagar »

Pics added.
Rancorrye

Post by Rancorrye »

Nice job, Brian! Your pics turned out great.

Even though they are fairly common, they are still a difficult one for me to find. I'd like to dedicate more time in trying to find another this year.
Brian Eagar

Post by Brian Eagar »

Thanks for the kind words Rye.
This weekend is a really good time to kook for them and its so much more gratifying to find one under a rock or especially out basking than it is to find them on the road. Not to mention the improved photo ops.
simpleyork

Post by simpleyork »

Sweet, going to have to try for them, should have plenty of time being a stay at home dad now.
cameron.rognan

Post by cameron.rognan »

Nice job Brian. I love that photo where its all rolled up in a ball.
simpleyork

Post by simpleyork »

still need to get this whole walking them or flipping them thing down, spent a few hours looking to no avail, guess I found out where they weren't.
Brian Eagar

Post by Brian Eagar »

Thanks Cameron. They roll into a ball pretty easily. Kind of like a pill bug that way. Its getting them to stretch out and sit still that can be an ordeal.

Simpleyork, Good luck on the boa search.
Don't be discouraged. Keep this in mind when I was roaming the Wasatch trying to flip milk snakes in new places years and years ago, my most common find was rubber boas both on the surface and under rocks. So maybe you should look for milksnakes and then you'll start finding boas. If you can pinpoint the area you have been fining them road cruising and then scour the slopes near that area during conditions like these then your odds will greatly improve.
ThomWild

Post by ThomWild »

Brian do you think it will work the other way? If I start targeting boas will I find more milks? :)

-Thomas
Brian Eagar

Post by Brian Eagar »

Hi Thomas. That is a good question but I don't think so. I know a lot more about milks now than I did back then. So my strategies have changed. So I don't see as many incidental boas either because I hunt slightly different habitat now and at a slightly different time of year. I also haven't spent a lot of time trying to flip them where I know they both exist in many years. You don't know unless you go though. Take that night snake you found on the crawl in habitat where I must have flipped every rock over several years. I was convinced they weren't there. After flipping 6 or so milks, gophersnakes and racers I thought I would have found one. Of course oddly enough I think I've only ever flipped one night snake in northern Utah despite flipping lots in central and southern Utah so maybe flipping night snakes in the Wasatch can be held as an especially good feat.
Jeremy Westerman

Post by Jeremy Westerman »

I have found several night snakes on the crawl in Northern Utah. I have only flipped a night snake in northern Utah once out by five mile pass under an old log or possibly a fence post. I flipped some in Nevada under shale. road cruising is much easier than finding these on foot. Same as boas for sure. I have found far more boas road cruising or on the crawl on foot than by flipping. Obviously a consequence of more of an increase in crepuscular/ nocturnal activity preference in both species, although I have found both on the crawl during the day. plus I hear Brian flips a prodigious amount of material per outing.

Sure wish I could glean what Brian knows, trial and error experience is invaluable, but very time consuming and not a guarantee of success or any future marked improvement in find rate.
I haven't found any milks except a dead one while hiking (may have possibly been a mtn kingsnake) when I was much younger.
IReallyLikeHerping

Post by IReallyLikeHerping »

Hey everyone, I'm Jeff Smith. I live in West Jordan, went to high school with Chris (and herped a hand full of times with him). Was more of an avid herper when I was younger and single but still like to get out when I can. I usually plan one big week-long trip each year with my cousin...this August headed to Alamos to try my luck at getting a Beaded Lizard. The rest of the year, I just hit a Saturday here or there when I can, or pick a weekend or two for St George or Vegas. Went out several weeks ago to Skull Valley (Horseshoe Springs) to see if any Columbian Spotted frogs were around...heard they were out there but didn't see any. Maybe the springs in Mona would be better for those. Anyway, being in West Jordan feels like I'm far from good spots. Has anyone had much luck in Butterfield Canyon area? I'm not a fan of the Oquirrhs, but I've heard there are milk snake records there (I know, I know, wrong time of year right now). I'm guessing there are boas, too...any thoughts? The mine bugs me because I feel like it prevents you from exploring much of that whole range...Butterfield Canyon always seems busy too, especially on Saturdays. Wish I had good habitat closer to home...
Bryan Hamilton

Post by Bryan Hamilton »

I don't believe boas occur in the Oqhirrhs. You need to stick close to the Wasatch.

Yeah there is a lot of traffic in your area, especially on weekends. You're definitely in the middle of a heavy urban area, but there are lots of nice canyons. Too many people. Can you drive an hour or so north or south? It would probably be worth it to get away from the city.

Good luck in Alamos. I didn't see a beaded lizard but it was a great trip. Lots of cool stuff there.
Rancorrye

Post by Rancorrye »

IReallyLikeHerping wrote:Hey everyone, I'm Jeff Smith. I live in West Jordan, went to high school with Chris (and herped a hand full of times with him). Was more of an avid herper when I was younger and single but still like to get out when I can. I usually plan one big week-long trip each year with my cousin...this August headed to Alamos to try my luck at getting a Beaded Lizard. The rest of the year, I just hit a Saturday here or there when I can, or pick a weekend or two for St George or Vegas. Went out several weeks ago to Skull Valley (Horseshoe Springs) to see if any Columbian Spotted frogs were around...heard they were out there but didn't see any. Maybe the springs in Mona would be better for those. Anyway, being in West Jordan feels like I'm far from good spots. Has anyone had much luck in Butterfield Canyon area? I'm not a fan of the Oquirrhs, but I've heard there are milk snake records there (I know, I know, wrong time of year right now). I'm guessing there are boas, too...any thoughts? The mine bugs me because I feel like it prevents you from exploring much of that whole range...Butterfield Canyon always seems busy too, especially on Saturdays. Wish I had good habitat closer to home...
Welcome, Jeff. I live in SL County too. I actually had that same question about the Oquirrhs last year. I went up Butterfield for the first time and thought the habitat looked good for both boas and smooth greens. After asking some knowledgeable sources, the consensuses was that neither species made it into the Oquirrhs. I spent a lot of time in Butterfield last year because its close to home. Besides a couple racers and garters and had no luck. I don't think I'll spend much time up there this year because of all the traffic and my lack of success. SL County kinda sucks for herping in my opinion, mostly because of all the traffic and people. You can still obviously find stuff, but I would much rather drive 30 minutes to an hour in any direction and not have to deal with as much of that.

Rye
sjfriend

Post by sjfriend »

Sure wish I was more into actually field herping back when I was a teen. I love finding boas (lots in CA) and would love to find a milk or UT mtn king. I used to live in Fairview / Mt Pleasant UT. Did find lots of garters and one rattlesnake by my place. Oh how I loved it there.
Jeremy Westerman

Post by Jeremy Westerman »

I have turned up racers, gophers, garters and rattlesnakes in Butterfield, it also is a good place to find horned lizards and skinks in the correct habitat. I have had no luck at all with milks there but they are there eating those skinks...the handful of records for milks by others prove they are certainly in the range on both sides. Kennicott employees found one in 2013 near or by the pit and talked to Jimi about setting up a herp survey for them on the property further North but that fell through when they had their mine land slide and they shelved the idea. As far as west desert amphibians I have only seen spadefoots wasn't aware of any spotted frog locales.
IReallyLikeHerping

Post by IReallyLikeHerping »

I appreciate all the feedback from everyone. I guess the consensus for the Oquirrhs is if one is content with some racers, gophers, or rattlers, then it works....otherwise head for the Wasatch mtns for those and everything else. It might be fun to find skinks and horned lizards, like was mentioned, although if I want short-horned lizards, I find that the talus slopes around Squaw Peak consistently delivers. I don't see western skinks in Utah in the numbers compared to California. Maybe it's just me. A non-herper friend sent me a pic of one that he found at a construction site in Heber; and I did see one last summer scurrying in the leaf litter off the trail going to the hot springs in Spanish Fork Canyon. I see them infrequently enough to make it a fun find, so maybe I'll just head to Butterfield once or twice in May to see what happens. Hope everyone is enjoying this awesome weather! Supposed to get chilly again this next week. Good luck!