Black Mamba Catch and Release, KwaZulu-Natal

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Nick Evans

Black Mamba Catch and Release, KwaZulu-Natal

Post by Nick Evans »

Hi all

Yesterday I was called out to a town called Queensborugh, near Durban. The owners of the house had reported a large snake in their store room.

When I arrived, the gardener was standing at the entrance to the storeroom, keeping an eye on the snake. As I stepped in, I could just see a bit of the tail of a Black Mamba disappearing into a hole in the roof! If it wasn't for road works I probably would have got it before it went up! We could hear it moving around, it sounded big! Then the noise stopped.

Not sure knowing what to do, I said to the owner we may need to make a hole in the roof. He said "Go for it!", so I got a hammer and started smashing a hole in his roof! It wasn't working too well so I climbed up onto the roof, and started ripping off the tiles and cutting the plastic! I peered inside cautiously, and couldn't see anything.

Feeling puzzled as to it's whereabouts, I walked into the room again having a look around. The owner then said that the room is doubled-walled, and that there's storage space between the two walls! He showed me what was like a doorway to this space, but there was a big pile of random things in the way. I started clearing it with the gardener, and noticed there was a counter in the space, which I could stand on to look in the roof. No need! After moving a few things I saw the snakes tail!

The mamba was hiding in the corner, on this counter. I moved the last few objects and had a clear view. A cornered mamba is not a happy animal! With the aid of my grabstick/tongs, I safely secured the head and pulled it out. What an awesome feeling (You'll see how chuffed I am in the video). It was a female, measured out at 2,5 meters.

What was great was, the fact that the gardener, who usually fears and kills snakes, got willingly involved! He helped clear the room, filmed the capture, helped measure it and even had a pic taken with it!

Black Mambas really are just incredible snakes, so majestic and intelligent, yet extremely powerful!

Below are some pics...

Me and Bongi, the gardener:

The store room:

The battered roof!

Today I took the snake to a nearby nature reserve to release. It was a great experience, she was quite calm and relaxed. She wasn't too bothered by us taking photos and filming. Truly remarkable snakes!

Had to get my hands on this snake, it was just too beautiful!

Perfect Mamba habitat

Here are two links to the videos of the capture, and the release, check it out:
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=1400762693572471
http://youtu.be/Jl-UkxiD5lw

Thanks for looking :)

For more interesting stories like this, about reptiles and even amphibians in South Africa, or any other sightings etc , please like my Facebook page, KwaZulu-Natal Amphibian and Reptile Conservation (https://www.facebook.com/zululandherps)
Kelly Mc

Re: Black Mamba Catch and Release, KwaZulu-Natal

Post by Kelly Mc »

Whenever I see these events I always think of the containment of the snakes before they are re located. The focus is always on the capture and release - the parts that people want to see and share. But I think the interim of containment should be stewarded with as much attention. It has been canonized that an ordinary plastic tub, a sack, or can is a handy, lightweight and easily managed container for these situations but I think there are deficits. Relocation is happening more and containment practices should be updated to match the motive of concern and protection. The ability to provide the option of water is what I see as a deficit. I think it could have an impact on the behavior and success of a relocated animal once released. Sometimes a snake will not drink when stressed, sometimes they will. It depends if they become morbidly thirsty. We tend to think of snakes as being tolerant of moisture loss and its true, compared to some mammals and birds, but they too, lose water simply through respiration - some snakes more than others and I am not a mamba expert but they strike me as one that has a deep and active rate.

If someone is in a position where there they are called on to relocate snakes, or even if there is potential to be, containers that would allow for the provision of water should be devised. It could easily be constructed.

Another courteous gesture would be a little tactile cover, a handful of leaves, etc. It could make the wait less alien and stressful and reduce exhaustion from straining against confinement. We tend to think snakes will always lay still in small dark places and that is not always true. they frequently strain and self injure - especially in warm temperatures. Much less vigorous species than Mambas do this.

It is a fantastic and commendable action to rescue a snake that would be most often beaten to death by a property owner etc,

Since it is happening more and more, practices associated with the process need to be addressed, that impact the snakes well being to make it an even more wonderful rescue.
Nick Evans

Post by Nick Evans »

Thanks for the input Kelly, I do see your point of view.

The snakes are usually (such as this mamba) are put in a dark box, to minimize stress. I kept it overnight, as I only caught it in the evening so didn't have much time to release it afterwards. I peeped through the holes, and the snake was in the same position it was in every time, just relaxing after a traumatic experience.

As for water, I am unaware of anyone giving the snakes water before they release them. I also think that most snakes, especially a mamba would not drink after such a stressful event-which is only necessary to save it's life. But perhaps having some form of provision of water would be useful, one that could not be spilt. Luckily at the moment here we've had quite a bit of rain!
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Thanks for the good spirit Nick.

No, the provision of water and cover isn't regularly practiced yet. But in temporary confinement its possible and would have a positive influence. How could it not?

In laboratory and zoo method there would be much to draw from, with animals more complex to contain and transfer. But its easy to think of managable ways to do it with snakes, even venomous ones, without much effort

Re evaluation and tactical development are important in important endeavors.

Thanks again for your gracious reply
Nick Evans

Post by Nick Evans »

As long as it doesn't involve me putting my hand in a container with a mamba I'd be happy to give it water :thumb:

Let's see, hopefully someone will come up with something.

Cheers
Nick
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Water when in interim of containment. As in not when in movement to location. A wing nut and bolt over a grate patch on the floor would quickly enable its tip to empty for the road. Is one idea of many others
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

*** the grate type and material must be carefully chosen. there are coated animal proxy safe types that are designed "friendlier" to the tissues of feet and noses, but even a few smooth perforated holes could do.

This is where some cover or litter also has good use. with it a small amount of water can be relinquished into the container without a grate or perforation on the road to shambala :)
Tom

Post by Tom »

Great photos, one day I will find myself a black mamba!

As for providing water, for short term (less than 24 hours) I'd actually disagree.

In these situations (in my opinion), the benefit from some water/leaves would be outweighed by the additional stress of being taken out of a bag, put in the cage, then removed and bagged again for release. Especially when you think how often these snakes will drink in the wild.

The alternative is to place them into a solid enclosure straight away, but with the rattling around in the back of a car, the movement of the 'furniture' in the enclosure etc. but as you've already pointed out it's far better to be in a bag.

HOWEVER. There are some snakes (e.g. small fossorial snake such as corals) that will dry out in a bag overnight and potentially die. This isn't from a lack of drinking water, but a lack of humidity. Therefore placing the bag in a box with some damp moss/soil/sponge in one corner is often a good idea, as long as the bag can't get waterlogged and suffocate the snake.
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

I see where there could be Less manipulation of the snake overall.

No sack - no cage. No gratuitous transfers with tongs but containment simply designed for the purpose of hold and release.

Not unlike constructs that are used for other animals in wildlife relocation, actually much simpler.

There would be no rattling or cage furniture. It isn't a viv, but something I have called a stress box (or Lo-Key Box) that provides security, protection from self injury and a stable option of water provision. I have made them for reptiles, birds and other animals, including hyperbolic large lizards, oreganus and even made an emergency one for a cinnamon capuchin many years ago.

It is a piece of equipment that is missing from the herping genre that could be made by individuals or commercially, or easily appropriated from other materials and items with a sum total of 5 parts of hardware.

There is no reason why tongs need to be used to transfer (read: release) a snake and sacks are antiquated.

Many herps also are held for more than 24 hours before movement or photo session.

Edited reason - clarity
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

I try not to assume what an animal wont need or do. There is no data on what level or events spook a snake to recalcitrance but much is established on the importance of hydration.

Without picking up anything but a spray bottle - most snakes can lap from a sheet of drops sprayed on the inside of a tub, including other-than-tiny species. I have watched big boas comically, delicately sip with pointed tongue the wayward splashed drops of water on the rim of a crock - and watched other reptiles and snakes in triage process from shipping drink drops sprayed in their bins.

Thank you Nick and any others for your patience in allowing this topic to be included, no high jacking meant, it is important subject especially with some animals often distal in manipulation of capture and containment.
Tom

Post by Tom »

Thinking practically though, snakes come in such a range of sizes - the probability of the specially designed box with a hide inside being the correct size for the snake in question is slim - much of the time they'll either be rattling around inside, or won't be able to fit (as you know, snakes like to feel 'snug' and have pressure against their bodies, and I've found that bags provide this very well).

Plus you're either going to have to fill the water up beforehand (it'll spill though), or fill it up once the snake is in there, creating more disturbance. Also, when you catch a snake, a pro-bagger can be attached to your belt and you can have the snake contained in less than 5 seconds - surely holding the snake while fetching a box would result in much more disturbance (as well as making it more dangerous). Furthermore there's the issue of disinfecting/preventing spread of disease - a bag is super easy to wash, a box however might be neglected and lead to more issues...

I can certainly see the merit of it in certain situations (i.e. as I said;longer than 24 hours - personally I never keep a snake more than that), but bags are just so flexible and practical that I can't see them being replaced. E.g. walking through rainforest when you might not find anything for days.
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

What you're seeing and hearing in your minds eye when reading about the method doesn't match up with the actual use.

Again I am describing what would be a specific use of temporary containment in an interim where some simple provision of support is given.

The ones I made for snakes and lizards were as easy to handle as anything else, actually they even can be anything else. Also, sphagnum moss doesn't rattle much.
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Reading it again, Tom (I'm at work) there are a hundred ways a few ounces of water can be quietly delivered at a distance. A flo master nozzle on stream, a plastic cup, a dribbling hose, a bottle of spring water. Its not a complicated matter.

Stabilizing a small container that can be turned and emptied is also not a complicated matter with stuff everyone has piles of in their junk drawer. Again this would be if one needed to maintain distance. But...

If you can put your hands on em, you can figure out how to give em water.

Especially if one is releasing them at their own convenience.
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

I find the treatment of King Cobras and Mambas during these relocation situations deeply exploitive and inappropriate.

Its all about the photo score with the calm and expedient release of the snakes not even a factor.

What an honor to hopefully, maybe, help such magnificent animals. Maybe it works sometimes. I don't know the stats.

But its a sad paradox when a camera causes blindness.
Nick Evans

Post by Nick Evans »

No it is not all about the photo score, however, one does not often get the chance to have their photo taken with such an incredible animal.

The snake is alive and in appropriate habitat. It has not had it's head cut off, and is unharmed.

All is well.
jonathan

Post by jonathan »

Not taking sides on the debate, but I recently read a relevant paper about temporary snake confinement that is quite relevant:
The effects of capture in a live trap and subsequent handling stress on plasma concentrations of corticosterone and other sex steroids were examined in wild male and female brown treesnakes (Boiga irregularis), an introduced species on Guam that has been implicated in the extirpation or decline of many of that island's vertebrate species. Males and females that spent 1 night in a trap had plasma levels of corticosterone about four and two times higher, respectively, than those of the respective free-ranging controls. Mean plasma levels of corticosterone of snakes that had spent 3 nights in a trap were intermediate between, but not significantly different from, those of snakes that had spent 1 night in a trap and free-ranging snakes, suggesting that some acclimation to capture occurred during this period. Snakes that were taken from traps and held in collecting bags for 10 min and 2 h prior to blood sampling had levels of corticosterone about two and three times higher, respectively, than those of control snakes that were taken from traps and bled immediately. Concentrations of plasma corticosterone in free-ranging females were about two times higher than those of males but were well within the range of basal levels observed in other reptiles.

Single night in a trap = plasma corticosterone 2 to 4 times higher (and the controls were captured snakes that still underwent capture stress)

10 minutes in a bag: plasma corticosterone doubled on top of the already heightened levels

2 hours in a bag: plasma corticosterone quadrupled over the already heightened levels

It's surprising how much a little time in confinement, and especially some time in a bag, can affect snake biochemistry.
Tom

Post by Tom »

I think this preference comes down to how we usually find snakes - I do a lot of walking, usually abroad (so packing these things would be tough, as would washing them between captures) and I find a wide variety of snakes sizes. Perhaps a middle ground could be to put moss into bags to make the animals feel more secure?
jonathan wrote:Not taking sides on the debate, but I recently read a relevant paper about temporary snake confinement that is quite relevant:
The effects of capture in a live trap and subsequent handling stress on plasma concentrations of corticosterone and other sex steroids were examined in wild male and female brown treesnakes (Boiga irregularis), an introduced species on Guam that has been implicated in the extirpation or decline of many of that island's vertebrate species. Males and females that spent 1 night in a trap had plasma levels of corticosterone about four and two times higher, respectively, than those of the respective free-ranging controls. Mean plasma levels of corticosterone of snakes that had spent 3 nights in a trap were intermediate between, but not significantly different from, those of snakes that had spent 1 night in a trap and free-ranging snakes, suggesting that some acclimation to capture occurred during this period. Snakes that were taken from traps and held in collecting bags for 10 min and 2 h prior to blood sampling had levels of corticosterone about two and three times higher, respectively, than those of control snakes that were taken from traps and bled immediately. Concentrations of plasma corticosterone in free-ranging females were about two times higher than those of males but were well within the range of basal levels observed in other reptiles.

Single night in a trap = plasma corticosterone 2 to 4 times higher (and the controls were captured snakes that still underwent capture stress)

10 minutes in a bag: plasma corticosterone doubled on top of the already heightened levels

2 hours in a bag: plasma corticosterone quadrupled over the already heightened levels

It's surprising how much a little time in confinement, and especially some time in a bag, can affect snake biochemistry.
That's genuinely really interesting - I haven't seen that before so thank you. I haven't had time to read the whole thing, but could it not be that:

A) the act of transporting/moving/having human contact is what raised the levels so high, whereas the traps don't have any human intervention element. It is likely to have nothing to do with the type of container.

B) if you leave the snake in the bag for 12 hours (as they did with the traps) that the levels would fall again. Did they measure levels shortly after trapping?

My very serious takeaway from that would be more that we need to minimise disturbance, not that a bag is in any way an inferior way of holding snakes. Even it bags did cause more stress, that would still have to be weighed up against the increased risk of spreading disease.
Bryan Hamilton

Post by Bryan Hamilton »

Interesting thoughts on providing water. I've never done it for short term captive rattlesnakes, held for 24 hours or so. I have seen pyros readily drink while held briefly in captivity, even after being processed and PIT tagged. This suggested to me that they are somewhat dehydrated, to drink while in such a vulnerable situation.

Water can also be provided by a bolus injection. The protocols for transmitter implantation provide for this, 10-20% of the snake's mass to make up for blood loss during the surgery. Of course the snakes are under anesthesia for this injection.

Stress or no stress, I think the situation could dictate the need for water. Is the area in a drought, how arid is the environment, what is the snake's body condition, did the snake defecate? Many of the rattlesnakes I work with have access to stream water and feed on fat rodents. Others aren't so luck and live in much harsher environments.

Having said that I may try to work something into our SOPs for water provision. I think the disease issue is easily mitigated with using clean equipments and sanitizing between individuals. This is something we should all be doing anyway. Bleaching bags, wiping off coolers and transport containers with bleach or lysol, keeping equipment in full sunlight for a few hours... I hope everyone that relocates snakes takes these simple and very important measures.
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Bryan, a stable in ring or other accommodation could enable short style deli containers to be used, they are an easily acquired staple that comes in stacks of 50 and 100. One use only so a professional control of non variables would eliminate the water as a cross contaminant factor completely.
There is an exciting and practical opportunity for lots of innovation with the concept of supportive hold gear, and prophylaxes enabled smoothly with all facets would be one of its given values
Bryan Hamilton

Post by Bryan Hamilton »

I'm trying to think of something that wouldn't be spilled by a stressed snake in a dark cooler. That's what's happened when I've tried to provide water.

What is a "stable in ring"?
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Its an O ring on a bolt or with a lip that is fitted to drop a container in. They are typically made of steel or plastic . It is such a simple design that it can be made "custom" with a appropriation.

But it can be done without it with a direct container. Example I swiped a tray out of a parts organizer, little hard plastic tray and attached it with a wing nut. If you place it to one side like this

-+----

it enables it to be tipped completely without entering if you wanted distance from nimble animals. But with rattlesnakes you could just use it to make the water stay put. And just unscrew and take out with forcep, tongs.
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Bryan although I have rigged stuff with odds and ends, this thread has made me think of how they could be made even better. You and many others could fabricate some nice holding equipment, some really cool stuff I bet.

Think thumb lever bolts and smooth flat heads, the myriad of plastic vent disks, shallow false bottoms that can be removed or left in, so many materials and forms.

A cooler drilled in and outfitted with a shallow tupp or ring for many dish exchanges, and the whole thing easily flushed out with a hose and some nolvasan.

I haven't had a lot of rattlesnake experience but a few have drifted my way. I changed water of captives in vivs with the aid of a ping pong paddle duct taped to a wood slat and placed in front of my lifting-the water-out-hand. Or something that worked same like that. I don't know if it would be frowned apon but it didn't cause any disturbance as I recall, as much as the actual unlatching or sliding open of the lid.

I intensely read your posts, and the other crote guys too.

Im honored you conversed with me.
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Tom wrote:I think this preference comes down to how we usually find snakes - I do a lot of walking, usually abroad (so packing these things would be tough, as would washing them between captures) and I find a wide variety of snakes sizes. Perhaps a middle ground could be to put moss into bags to make the animals feel more secure?
jonathan wrote:Not taking sides on the debate, but I recently read a relevant paper about temporary snake confinement that is quite relevant:

That's genuinely really interesting - I haven't seen that before so thank you. I haven't had time to read the whole thing, but could it not be that:

A) the act of transporting/moving/having human contact is what raised the levels so high, whereas the traps don't have any human intervention element. It is likely to have nothing to do with the type of container.

B) if you leave the snake in the bag for 12 hours (as they did with the traps) that the levels would fall again. Did they measure levels shortly after trapping?

My very serious takeaway from that would be more that we need to minimise disturbance, not that a bag is in any way an inferior way of holding snakes. Even it bags did cause more stress, that would still have to be weighed up against the increased risk of spreading disease.

It might be important to recognize that there is a difference between an animal seeking and choosing a small dark space to draw into and repose of its own volition, and being placed by means in an extremis of restricted space it cannot exit, or escape.
To view these circumstances as the same could be resting on the laurels of a blind spot of wholly human perspective.