New Mexico Gas-Payer

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Neil M

New Mexico Gas-Payer

Post by Neil M »

Howdy New Mexico herpers!

My name is Neil and I am a California herper that moved to Montana for the past two years to pursue a wildlife biology degree at the University of Montana.

I posted a lot back in California but my herping career has been on a standstill for the past two years in Montana. I am hoping to re-ignite it this summer because I have been awarded a job as a Mountain Lion / Mule Deer technician in New Mexico for the entire summer!

I will be based around Alberquerque near the town of Corona. I will generally work a 5 days on / 2 days off schedule. If I am lucky, I will have a car for the days off during the second half of the summer, but I may never have my own.

I would be very appreciative to anyone that would like to show me some New Mexico herping! I would be happy to pay gas of course. I have herped southern Arizona a bit but most species will be lifers for me. I would love to find new rattlesnake species, particularly a black-tailed and rock rattlesnake. Also, when I was 10 I found a gila monster in Arizona that truly sparked my interest in herps. Now being 20, finding another would mean a lot to me and be the highlight of my year.

Let me know if you are interested in hanging out this summer. I am stoked to be in a such a herp-heavy state and I hope I can explore it extensively. I will reciprocate the love if anyone comes to Montana and wants to see some rubber boas or cool mammals.

Thanks everybody

Neil
Zach_Lim

Re: New Mexico Gas-Payer

Post by Zach_Lim »

I know Neil personally and can vouch for him. Great guy, very knowledgable, and very ethical.

-Zach, CA Chapter
Neil M

Post by Neil M »

Thanks Zach, you are a great pal. I hate making a post for simply info. I feel weird and terrible about it but I would love the help. I promise an epic photo post at the end of the summer!
Bryan Hamilton

Post by Bryan Hamilton »

Welcome Neil! You might consider introducing yourself in the sticky above and telling us a little more about yourself. You kind of did that here already but then its all in one thread.

There are a lot of good New Mexico herpers on here. I think there is a pretty active herp group in Albuquerque that takes a lot of field trips. Josh Emms is the president and he is on this forum regularly. Make sure you get a copy of "Reptiles of New Mexico". It has a lot of good information (and dot localities).

That lion project sounds fun. I'm trying to get a similar project started in Eastern Nevada.

Good luck and post some photos!
Neil M

Post by Neil M »

Bryan-

Thanks for the recommendation to post on the introductions stricky, I will do that next. I already ordered a copy of R.D. and Patricia P. Bartlett's book New Mexico's Reptiles and Amphibians: A Field Guide. Should arrive next week and I am stoked to flip through it.

Thanks again Bryan and let me know if you need any field technicians on your Nevada project!

Neil
Bryan Hamilton

Post by Bryan Hamilton »

I can't speak to the Bartlett guide but Degenhardt's is excellent:

http://www.amazon.com/Amphibians-Reptil ... 0826338119
bgorum

Post by bgorum »

Corona is an interesting area. Not real heavily herped because of all the private land. Lots of ranching, both cattle and sheep. Hopefully you'll have some access to some of the private ranches as part of your job. NM 247 is a pretty nice road cruising road for plains species. I'd predict you'll have a good time and see lots of wildlife, (not just herps). It never ceases to amaze me how diverse and plentiful wildlife can be on those barren plains. Feel free to contact me if you have any specific questions.

Nearest Black-tails will probably be on the Valley of fires Lava flow, (melanistic to boot!), or in the Sacramento mountains. Rock rattlesnakes will require a bit more driving, but could be doable on your two days off. Gila monsters will require a really long drive I'm afraid.

Bill