Unusual Cal King colorization - at least for around here...

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

MSD

Unusual Cal King colorization - at least for around here...

Post by MSD »

Just a quick share of a Brown and Yellow Cal King my neighbors cought in their yard today. I know the colors may not be unusual, but around here we generally see black and yellow, or very dark brown and yellow. This is the first in 10 yeras we have lived here (and approx. 20 - 30 Cal Kings captured - and released - in the neightborhood and hills nearby that has this colorization.

Minor contribution, but I thought it had great colors.

sjfriend

Re: Unusual Cal King colorization - at least for around here

Post by sjfriend »

Love chocolate kings. Which part of the state ( N S central)? Your description of king colors sounds a lot like what I used to get in an area of the E Sac valley. The lighter phase were few but beautiful. Had a long term captive / breeder named Hershy.
MSD

Post by MSD »

sjfriend wrote:Love chocolate kings. Which part of the state ( N S central)? Your description of king colors sounds a lot like what I used to get in an area of the E Sac valley. The lighter phase were few but beautiful. Had a long term captive / breeder named Hershy.
We are in Ventura County, close to the Ventura/Los Angeles County border. Lots of open space south of our house. We get, in a good year, approx. 10 Southern Pacific Rattlesnakes in our neightborhood (the neighbors all call me for removal), plus lots of King and Gophers, and even have had a couple of Red Coachwhips come through. I don't have to look for them, they come to me...
sjfriend

Post by sjfriend »

Sounds like a great spot and good neighbors. I've been able to hit the southern part of CA a couple of times and still never found a So Pacific.
Kent VanSooy

Post by Kent VanSooy »

Looks like one of my Carlsbad kings took a bus ride to your neighborhood! Pretty snake, and thanks for sharing!