Some early season finds

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

dann-o88

Some early season finds

Post by dann-o88 »

This is my first year year doing any sort of real field herping. So far I have been out twice and I thought I'd share some of my finds. Like I said I'm pretty new at this and I really want to learn as much as I can (especially when it comes to amphibians) right now so any advice or corrections are more than welcome.

My first time out I went to a little spot at the Atterbury FWA. While I was there I found this little guy. I'm a noob when it comes to amphibians but when comparing to some of the plates in my Peterson Field Guide I believe this is a Leadback phase Red Back Salamander.

This is another find from Atterbury. I believe this is a Smallmouth Salamander.

Here is another cool find from Atterbury: a Box Turtle shell. I ended up taking this home, cleaning it up a little and curing in some peroxide and it turned out really nice.

This past weekend I was at Shades State Park. I was able to see a number of 5-line skinks that I wast able to get a picture of and also a green frog that slipped out of my hand before I could identify him or get a picture of. But I was able to get a picture of this Red Back salamander.

Here is a picture of a Wood Frog that I found.

I found these is a very shallow stream while hiking. Like I said before I am a real noob when it comes to amphibians but I thought that these might be frog or salamander eggs. Can anybody confirm or deny this?