Arkansas 2015

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Gordon C. Snelling

Arkansas 2015

Post by Gordon C. Snelling »

No longer living in Southern California, Have moved to NE Arkansas, not a move I would have made willingly but due to job loss and economic situation here I am. I do not get out too much but try to when possible. Considering the local past time seems to be running over small animals for fun I stop for as many as I can.

Rough earth snake found in a yard

TMTC red ear sliders

Gordon C. Snelling

Re: Arkansas 2015

Rescued off the road

This poor fellow took a real beating somewhere along the line.

Quite common on the rocks in St Francis sunken lands

bushmaster W30

Post by bushmaster W30 »

Nice finds. Where are you in Northeast Arkansas?
Gordon C. Snelling

I am in caraway.
VICtort

Post by VICtort »

Dear Gordon,

let us know how it goes, it seems like a grand adventure to me. I have often thought Arkansas a fascinating place, with a flavor of the Deep South but also some great trout fishing in the tail races of dams, and a great species diversity with West meeting East. I wish you the best of luck and a new beginning.

your post shows a lot more turtles than even the incredibly diverse State of CA. offers...

Vic

(former Californian, now in AZ.)
Gordon C. Snelling

Thanks Vic, I keep trying to tell myself that. I suppose if the circumstance of my ending up here were different it might be easier. I do like the food though. A little too well. Turtles are everywhere here, every little ditch and pond has it's population mostly RES but others as well. Few snakes mostly road kill, but have had little time to get out and really look. Time will tell.
Kyle from Carolina

Post by Kyle from Carolina »

Nice to see some Arkansas stuff. I remember visiting my grandpa there as a kid and all I remember is that it was dog hot and in the evening, every single emerged log was covered with snakes and turtles in the swampy areas with the sketchy looking house boats. That was just west of the Mississippi. Looking forward to seeing more.