April and some of May - NW Florida

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

simus343

April and some of May - NW Florida

Post by simus343 »

This post is some of my favorite finds since my last post from March.

I quickly started April off with yet another individual in my streak of rare snakes. A feisty little Mole King.

And...another, in situ this time. I found it quickly because I was on edge, looking for a monster garter snake I saw the day before in the same area - which I never found again :(. There was another of these Mole Kings that I only got a voucher shot of before it slipped into a little hole in the ground.

There was a post a while back on the main forum about translocation. A note mentioned, for successful translocation, breeding must occur on the recipient site. Well, the Gopher Tortoises that I work with are doing just that! :D. This one was found in April, so born in the Fall last year. Where is that photo-bomb thread, I just spotted a cricket there too! haha

While herping on foot it helps to scan ahead, but don't forget to watch where you step too! In situ pygmy waiting for some food to pass by. Blurry shot, was working all day and very tired.

While bored one day, I rolled a log to produce two Eastern Narrowmouths. They are almost as abundant in the woods around here as are Southern Toads and Green Tree Frogs.

Pygmies have to be the most common snake I see, they are everywhere. But, here is one of the more beautiful ones that I have encountered recently. This one is a fake! S/He ain't no dusky! :lol:

I was checking a drift fence and saw a fresh snake track. As I was following it to see which way the snake went, suddenly out of nowhere, there it was! In situ Eastern Hognose

Followed up about 15 minutes later by this copycat snake. Look out! There is a cobra snake over that hill there!

He isn't angry, just thirsty! There was no water that this cottonmouth could get to at all. It was cutoff from any water body.

I have a hard time finding red rat snakes, so when I see them they are a real treasure. I was stoked to find this adult.

Then one day while working this May, BAM! A loud slithering sound by my feet and there is a Florida Pine Snake going nothing to 90. Before I could take an in situ shot, my friend picks it up. When he sets it down, it takes off before I can do anything. We took GPS coords it and sent it to Florida Natural Areas Inventory.

About a week ago I took a trip up to Jekyll Island GA to visit the sea turtle center. We were taking an educational Indigo that is beleived to be sick the the vet there. We got to go behind the scenes and walk through all their turtle tanks. I managed to get a quick close-up of a baby Carolina Diamondback Terrapin whose mother was hit by a vehicle. Sadly on this business trip I didn't have time to cross off any lifers like yellow rats, black rats, or timber(canebrake?) rattlesnakes :(.

Then my second for this year, I missed it by THAT much (2-3 inches). A baby Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake! :mrgreen:

I've noticed a lot of other great posts for findings, so I felt like getting off my lazy feet and exercising my keister to add to the motivation to get out there and find stuff! :beer:
JakeScott

Re: April and some of May - NW Florida

Post by JakeScott »

Calligaster - man that IS a good find! Is this a drift fence funded by the state or personal?

-Jake
soulsurvivor

Post by soulsurvivor »

That pine looks old in the face. How long was it?
InfantryVeteran

Post by InfantryVeteran »

You're having a wonderful year!! That pine is Gorgeous!!!!
simus343

Post by simus343 »

Jake, the drift is not personal, but it is privately funded on private land.

Soulsurvivor, The pine was about 3 1/2 - 4 feet. I've seen up to a 6 footer at the same place before. Most of the pines I get are young ones.

InfantryVeteran, thanks :beer:
double d

Post by double d »

Gorgeous pine, top lifer on my list, congrats !!
Tamara D. McConnell

Post by Tamara D. McConnell »

Great finds! The pine snake is magnificent. I also love the baby terrapin. Hard to imagine anything cuter. You've had an enviably good couple of months.
Noah M

Post by Noah M »

Yeah, great few months there. I need to head up to the panhandle again soon, but work always gets in the way!

May the next few months be just as awesome!