Herp research and jobs

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Hadar

Herp research and jobs

Post by Hadar » May 26th, 2015, 7:56 am

Howdy herpers,

I get emails on a close to daily basis about herpetology graduate student projects, technician positions, full time careers, etc. Most recently are with Project Terrapin, State of New Mexico, Gulf Coast Research Laboratory, USFWS, and Fort Hays State University. Is anyone on the forum interested in that kind of thing?

Cheers, Heather

Noah M

Re: Herp research and jobs

Post by Noah M » May 26th, 2015, 11:23 am

I had suggested having a jobs forum, but nobody (myself included) wanted to moderate. There are other job forums around though. I would guess the people seriously interested in these sorts of jobs would work to get on the same lists you are on so they have their inbox filling up with openings too.

GreenOxybelis

Post by GreenOxybelis » May 26th, 2015, 12:04 pm

I am interested in finding websites that post the type of jobs that you just listed. Indeed.com seems to be the only general, purpose job website with reptile-related search queries. What sites do you use? Are you looking to set up a section in the Forum for members to browse listed jobs?

Hadar

Post by Hadar » May 26th, 2015, 1:41 pm

captainjack0000 wrote:I had suggested having a jobs forum, but nobody (myself included) wanted to moderate. There are other job forums around though. I would guess the people seriously interested in these sorts of jobs would work to get on the same lists you are on so they have their inbox filling up with openings too.
Moderating is a hefty task. I was just curious if there are members on the forum interested in finding such jobs and don't know where to look. Good herp jobs can be difficult to find until you stumble upon the right people, listservs, etc. My herpetology professor at Michigan State really helped me out when I was first figuring things out.

Hadar

Post by Hadar » May 26th, 2015, 2:09 pm

GreenOxybelis wrote:I am interested in finding websites that post the type of jobs that you just listed. Indeed.com seems to be the only general, purpose job website with reptile-related search queries. What sites do you use? Are you looking to set up a section in the Forum for members to browse listed jobs?
The Center for North American Herpetology (http://www.cnah.org/) is a great start. I'm on several listservs from the various universities I've studied and worked at so I get a lot of job emails but if you don't want to sign up for endless emails, you can search several good sites. I would recommend CNAH, Texas A&M (http://wfscjobs.tamu.edu/job-board/), PARC (http://www.parcplace.org/parcplace/reso ... ments.html), ASIH (http://www.asih.org/jobs), AZA (http://www.aza.org/JobListings/), and SCB (http://careers.conbio.org/) sites. Texas A&M has one of the best job boards for wildlife and fisheries that I've seen. From volunteer positions, to graduate school, internships, seasonal gigs, and full time positions.

I don't know how to set up a section on the Forum to do such but hopefully this thread helps others.

Cheers, Heather

Thorny

Post by Thorny » May 26th, 2015, 2:35 pm

Hadar wrote:
captainjack0000 wrote:I had suggested having a jobs forum, but nobody (myself included) wanted to moderate. There are other job forums around though. I would guess the people seriously interested in these sorts of jobs would work to get on the same lists you are on so they have their inbox filling up with openings too.
Moderating is a hefty task. I was just curious if there are members on the forum interested in finding such jobs and don't know where to look. Good herp jobs can be difficult to find until you stumble upon the right people, listservs, etc. My herpetology professor at Michigan State really helped me out when I was first figuring things out.
I would be interested in finding such jobs but that is not to say I have no idea where to look. The bigger issue is the need to be constantly on the look out for dream jobs. Once in awhile I will look at PARCs job board, Texas A&M job board, the Wildlife Biologists group on facebook, or someone will forward me a posting. Which leaves me often missing stuff or ending up with quantity over quality. The state and federal jobs that I am most interested in are what I have the hardest time finding.

As a biostitute, a lot of what I look am looking for are volunteer and citizen science opportunities to help expand my knowledge and skill set. I can cold call with the best of them but I don't like hassling people when I am only available weekends.

Hadar

Post by Hadar » May 26th, 2015, 6:34 pm

I would be interested in finding such jobs but that is not to say I have no idea where to look. The bigger issue is the need to be constantly on the look out for dream jobs. Once in awhile I will look at PARCs job board, Texas A&M job board, the Wildlife Biologists group on facebook, or someone will forward me a posting. Which leaves me often missing stuff or ending up with quantity over quality.
I love my job (federal/state/university) so I don't actively look for anything but I still scan the various postings I get each day in case there is a great one that sticks out for a friend. There have been a few jobs that were tempting to drop everything and apply for but so far I've resisted.

The state and federal jobs that I am most interested in are what I have the hardest time finding.
For federal jobs you can create a profile on USAJOBS https://www.usajobs.gov/. All federal jobs go through that site. State jobs are more difficult because they each have there own system. The best way to find jobs that way is to pick a particular state or handful of states. A lot of the state's have a primary website with postings and some will email you jobs that find your search requirements. I do that for Florida since my family wants me to eventually relocate there to be with them. However, Florida politics when it comes to biology and conservation is awful.
As a biostitute, a lot of what I look am looking for are volunteer and citizen science opportunities to help expand my knowledge and skill set. I can cold call with the best of them but I don't like hassling people when I am only available weekends.
Never feel like you are hassling people because you are only available on the weekends. Volunteering at a local wildlife refuge is one of the best ways to gain great experiences and make important connections of a full time job. Federal jobs work on a point system and there is a formula for those applications. If you do find one you are interested in PM me and I can help you decode it.

Bryan Hamilton

Post by Bryan Hamilton » May 26th, 2015, 7:18 pm

Thorny wrote:As a biostitute
I've heard this term in reference to work with consulting companies, along with some other, less flattering terms. I don't really like it. I feel like its demeaning to the work you do. These are important jobs and if you aren't doing them someone else will. Possibly with less skill and dedication.

My point with this little rant, don't put down your work, especially when you're talking to a potential employer. I know you're making light but not everyone will. Attitude matters and so does the way you discuss your job.

klawnskale

Post by klawnskale » May 28th, 2015, 7:22 am

Federal jobs work on a point system and there is a formula for those applications. If you do find one you are interested in PM me and I can help you decode it.[/quote]

This does not necessarily apply to temporary seasonal appointments; which is the category that most of the herp jobs fall under. At times the specific office of an agency may put in a requisition for an "emergency hire" or advertise separately on public boards and have individuals send resumes and cover letters directly to their offices. No harm done in registering at USAjobs.gov though, but the positions I acquired were accomplished in this manner. There is no logic to their system. One tip I can give you when viewing the open period on the job description, if it is only available for resume submissions for a week or less, it is highly likely that they will be rehiring employees working for this position who have not exceeded their hours for the year or have previously worked on the project at that location and are preferred selections. Even if they have specific hires all ready in place to fill the position, they are legally required to post it publicly so they do this. Some advice I received from my boss on one project who is GS-11 for USGS: when you fill out the questionnaire on the job posting you are applying for, DO NOT BE HUMBLE about your background and qualifications. The initial screening is done electronically with software so the program evaluates specific areas that were filled out on the form. This way it culls the applicants prior to them reaching human eyes for review. Volunteering as Hadar pointed out is a great foot in the door. As a result of this, the National Park Service has brought me on as an emergency hire at the Mojave National Preserve for the summer season.

Thorny

Post by Thorny » May 31st, 2015, 1:13 pm

Bryan Hamilton wrote:
Thorny wrote:As a biostitute
I've heard this term in reference to work with consulting companies, along with some other, less flattering terms. I don't really like it. I feel like its demeaning to the work you do. These are important jobs and if you aren't doing them someone else will. Possibly with less skill and dedication.

My point with this little rant, don't put down your work, especially when you're talking to a potential employer. I know you're making light but not everyone will. Attitude matters and so does the way you discuss your job.
You bring up several valid points that I will take into consideration in the future. That being said, I've found it a vary hard line of work to be passionate about or take pride in. I would not be participating in this conversation if I was not looking for new opportunities to fulfill a different role in herpetofauna conservation. That does not mean the work is not important but I would like to move on at some point.

Also, if I can't use the term biostitute somewhat anonymously in an online forum without fear of negative repercussions to my career then I do not want to play this game anymore.

Bryan Hamilton

Post by Bryan Hamilton » May 31st, 2015, 2:24 pm

Thorny wrote:Also, if I can't use the term biostitute somewhat anonymously in an online forum without fear of negative repercussions to my career then I do not want to play this game anymore.
Point taken. You're free to say whatever you want. I know a lot of 'biostitute's' that share your feelings and I understand how difficult the job market is in our business.

Best of luck in your job search.