Great Smoky Mountains National Park

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Adam Cooner

Great Smoky Mountains National Park

Post by Adam Cooner »

I spent Memorial Day weekend in the Salamander Capital of the World, Great Smoky Mountains National Park, for a non-traditional bachelor party with my groomsmen and a few other friends.

We stayed in a rental cabin in Cocke County, Tennessee. If I had it to do over again, I would likely choose a base camp closer to the actual park, but we were pretty successful herping the rental property and the creek running right through the backyard.

ImageShovelnose Salamander by Adam Cooner, on Flickr

ImageBlackbelly Salamander by Adam Cooner, on Flickr

ImageOcoee Salamander by Adam Cooner, on Flickr (please comment if you think this ID is incorrect)

Any help on this one? Sorry, I don't have ventrum shots to aid in the ID.

ImageDesmognathus sp. by Adam Cooner, on Flickr

On our first full day there, we went looking for the high-elevation salamanders and were not disappointed.

ImageRed-Cheeked Salamander by Adam Cooner, on Flickr

ImageRed-Cheeked Salamander by Adam Cooner, on Flickr

ImageImitator Salamander by Adam Cooner, on Flickr

I wish I had better images of this pigmy salamander, but I found it challenging to photograph.

ImagePigmy Salamander by Adam Cooner, on Flickr

I tried to balance salamander hunting with other activities so that my non-herper friends (including a computer science PhD, a telecom professional, and a Navy officer) wouldn't remember this as an incredible mistake, so we made trips to Ole Smoky Moonshine, Pancake Pantry, and other Gatlinburg fixtures and took time to enjoy a little (read: a little too much) beer. This resulted in lower intensity herping on Saturday afternoon and Sunday.

Along with a glut of Desmogs, we saw a few black-chinned red salamanders. Most were metamorphs with gill remnants.

ImageBlack-Chinned Red Salamander by Adam Cooner, on Flickr

Prior to departing on Monday, a few of us made it into the park again, and I found this black rat snake while walking over to see a red salamander my brother caught.

ImageBlack Rat Snake by Adam Cooner, on Flickr

All in all, it was a great weekend. I fully intend to return for a full-fledged herping trip in the future as my seemingly unending quest for a spring salamander continues, and I'd like to take another shot at finding a hellbender.
Barry R

Re: Great Smoky Mountains National Park

Post by Barry R »

good stuff Adam
BillMcGighan

Post by BillMcGighan »

First, big congrats on the primary of the trip.

2nd, smooth move pulling a herping trip out of it as well!!!!

Next trip you guys need to come up here, 2 hours north, for even more diversity!

Any help on this one? Sorry, I don't have ventrum shots to aid in the ID.
My first impression is "ocoee" again based on what you can see of the tail and location commonness.
Adam Cooner

Post by Adam Cooner »

BillMcGighan wrote:Next trip you guys need to come up here, 2 hours north, for even more diversity!
I'm sold! Thanks for your help on this trip by the way.

BillMcGighan wrote:My first impression is "ocoee" again based on what you can see of the tail and location commonness.
That's what I figured. Glad to have it seconded by someone with Desmog savvy.