Bornean Snake ID (Enhydris)

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Antonsrkn

Bornean Snake ID (Enhydris)

Post by Antonsrkn »

Hello all, I have photos of some sort of Enhydris from Borneo that I would appreciate a little help getting an confirmed ID on. I took this last year in Sabah and at the time I figured it was likely E. plumbea based on the coloration, however since then I have looked at a few photos of E. plumbea and I think I see some pronounced differences, particularly in the scales around the eye and on the lip. So can anyone offer any thoughts? Is this an E. plumbea and im just imagining things? Is it something else? What is it?

This is my first Enhydris sp. so i don't really have much experience to go from, if you have photos of E. plumbea for comparison please post them. This snake was found moving through a shallow stream at night through pristine lowland forest.

I also dont currently have a book on the snakes of Borneo so I'm not sure which species of Enhydris occur there, I do however remember that there is more than just the one species.

Anyways here are a few photos of the snake in question...

Jeff

Re: Bornean Snake ID (Enhydris)

Post by Jeff »

It looks like Homalophis doriae, formerly Enhydris doriae.

Jeff
Antonsrkn

Post by Antonsrkn »

Awesome, that looks like a match. Thanks alot for your help, its enormously appreciated!
condyle

Post by condyle »

Love their form! Thanks for posting!