Olympic National Park and Seattle

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Hadar

Olympic National Park and Seattle

Post by Hadar »

Hey there,

I'm going to be road tripping up to Seattle and Olympic National Park in two weeks with my girl friend of 23 years. We will be visiting with friends in Seattle and sailing then camping at Olympic for two nights and hiking three days. We are coming from Corvallis. Does anyone have recommendations of routes to take, places to stop along the way, species to look out for, trails to hike, etc? I appreciate any feedback you guys have. Thanks!

~Heather

jonathan

Re: Olympic National Park and Seattle

Post by jonathan »

Well, Olympic Torrent Salamanders are endemic to the Olympic Peninsula, and Van Dyke's Salamanders are close to endemic (only found in the more hilly/mountainous streams of western Washington), as well as Cope's Giant Salamanders (only found in hilly/mountainous streams of western Washington and northwestern Oregon). Van Dyke's like cool streams in old forest with large dead logs lying around, but might be hard to find that time of year. Olympic Torrent and Cope's Giant could be found anywhere with high-torrent streams - especially in splash zones for the torrent salis, and in quiet pools next to torrents for the Cope's Giant.

Matt probably already told you that we had a good time looking at huge trees in Quinault, and that we did fairly good on amphibians (4 salamander species and 2 frog species). Other than that I don't know any locales at all.

Hadar

Post by Hadar »

Results from our trip to Olympic National Park. We didn't find any herps until the rainforest section but I have include the alpine and coastal parts of the park as well because they were beautiful.

Alpine
First animal contact at the park...deer

Very little snow, only 3% of the average snowfall this year.

More deer

Oh, and some deer

Yet another deer

Chipmunk. I believe it is a Townsend's Chipmunk, Neotamias townsendii, but might be Olympic Chipmunk, Tamias amoenus caunnus. Anyone know?

Some bird

A different bird

Olympic Marmot, Marmota olympus!!! I love these guys.

Mountain Goat, Oreamnos americanus

Oh look! More deer...

Some kids

Marmot!!!

Deer

More deer

Sunset

Coast
Tidal pool time!!!

Watching sunset on the beach

Rainforest

I found some trees that I could see living in.

The inside of my new home.

Rhyacotriton olympicus, Olympic Torrent Salamander

Waterfall

Trail

Plethodon vehiculum, Western Red-backed Salamander

More rainforest

BethH

Post by BethH »

Very nice. I especially like the marmot with the mountains in the background. The tidal pools are cool, too.

Thank you for sharing.

It's too bad you didn't see any deer...

corey.raimond

Post by corey.raimond »

Nice photos! One of the birds is a horned lark, I'm not sure what the other one is. So dry, must have been hard to find herps.

Hadar

Post by Hadar »

corey.raimond wrote:Nice photos! One of the birds is a horned lark, I'm not sure what the other one is. So dry, must have been hard to find herps.
I wasn't expecting to find herps in the alpine or coastal regions so I didn't bother looking. Once at Hoh Rainforest I spoke to a ranger and he was the one that told me which path to take to find the salamanders. My friend and I hiked 6 miles in 2 hours to reach the seep where the ranger said they would be and sure enough, he was right.

jonathan

Post by jonathan »

Nice photos Heather! Way to get the salis where you could get them.