May 7th-June 10th. Highlights and heartbreaks. (pic heavy)

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

InfantryVeteran

May 7th-June 10th. Highlights and heartbreaks. (pic heavy)

Post by InfantryVeteran »

Greetings all. I do apologize that its taken me over a month to make another post, but things have been difficult lately. I started a new job on the 12th of May and on the 21st, I had to travel back up to South Carolina to visit my grandfather before he passed away. Due to time constraints with the new job, my herping time was very limited. Still, I was able to get out in the field.

On May 10th, my wife and I visited Turkey Creek Sanctuary in Palm Bay, Fl for a little hike. Since the daytime temperatures were pretty much maxed out, I didn't expect to see much in the way of snakes. There were other herps out and about though and that made the hike very enjoyable.

The first Herp that showed up was this very lively (well, as Gopher Tortoises are concerned) Gopher Tortoise walking down the trail. I've seen many over the past year, but I never get tired of seeing them.
ImageGopher Tortoise by Solomon Wise, on Flickr
ImageGopher Tortoise by Solomon Wise, on Flickr

There were also many Florida Softshell Turtles in Turkey Creek.
ImageFlorida Softshell Turtle by Solomon Wise, on Flickr

We also spotted a few Green Anoles. Unfortunately, Greens aren't very common in my area anymore.
ImageGreen Anole by Solomon Wise, on Flickr

One of the Boardwalks inside the sanctuary.
ImageLive Oak hammock by Solomon Wise, on Flickr

On May 11th, I got the opportunity to go on an all day herping trip. Sadly, very few Herps were seen that day, however, I got the chance to photograph an adult Eastern Mudsnake. It was a pleasure to see an adult that wasn't smashed in the road.

ImageEastern Mudsnake by Solomon Wise, on Flickr
ImageEastern Mudsnake by Solomon Wise, on Flickr

Another trip out on the 15th of May yielded my best night of herping so far! 49 separate herps were seen that night! Here are a few highlights!

6 Rough Green Snakes were road cruised including a massive gravid female. I had only seen 1 live Rough Green Snake up until that time.
ImageRough Green Snake by Solomon Wise, on Flickr
ImageRough Green Snake by Solomon Wise, on Flickr

We also found 14 Island Glass Lizards including 2 pairs that were crossing side by side!
ImageIsland Glass Lizard by Solomon Wise, on Flickr

Just after dark, another Glass lizard species was found.
ImageEastern Glass Lizard by Solomon Wise, on Flickr

Here are a few more photos of species found that epic night!
ImageYellow Rat Snake by Solomon Wise, on Flickr
ImageScarlet Kingsnake by Solomon Wise, on Flickr
ImageFlorida Brown Snake by Solomon Wise, on Flickr
ImageCornsnake by Solomon Wise, on Flickr

On May 22nd, my mother called to inform me that my grandfather wasn't expected to live much longer. My wife and quickly made plans to leave the following day to head up to South Carolina to see him one last time. The night before we left, I did what I always did when I was stressed out. I went road cruising. Green Snake Man went with me. The common species were out, but the only photo I took was this gorgeous Cornsnake coming out on the road. I love this photo.

My wife and I traveled to South Carolina for the weekend. It was a very stressful weekend, but I was able to see my Grandfather and tell him goodbye before he passed away the following Monday. During that time, herping wasn't really an option, however, I was able to do a little road cruising on my favorite road in the country the night before we headed back down to Florida.

The first spot I stopped at was my old Queen Snake spot. It didn't disappoint and I found 3 in 5 minutes.
ImageQueen Snake by Solomon Wise, on Flickr
ImageQueen Snake by Solomon Wise, on Flickr

Once it got dark, I headed out on the road. My first snake I found crossing was an unexpected one! I've seen this species before on this road, but it wasn't a very common occurrence. I was extremely excited!
ImageEastern Milksnake by Solomon Wise, on Flickr
ImageEastern Milksnake by Solomon Wise, on Flickr

The next species was a common one, but I hadn't seen one in over a year. It's amazing how much you miss species you grew up with when you haven't seen them in a while.
ImageNorthern Watersnake by Solomon Wise, on Flickr

The last species seen was this gorgeous, gravid Brown Snake. I wish Florida Brown Snakes would pose this well!!
ImageNorthern Brown Snake by Solomon Wise, on Flickr

Upon returning to Florida, I've gotten to herp a few times. I will skip the commentary for the remainder of the post and will just show you photos. Except for the two soul crusing DOR's myself and Green snake man found on two consecutive trips (see below), we found mostly common stuff.

ImageDOR Florida Pine Snake by Solomon Wise, on Flickr
ImageJUST hit EDB. by Solomon Wise, on Flickr

ImageDusky Pygmy Rattlesnake by Solomon Wise, on Flickr
ImageGator in the rain by Solomon Wise, on Flickr

And here are a few bird shots I got when herping wasn't being productive. I'm not a birder, but it gave me the chance to play around with my newest lens. Please forgive me.

ImageWhite Ibis by Solomon Wise, on Flickr
ImageGreen Heron by Solomon Wise, on Flickr
ImageAnhinga's by Solomon Wise, on Flickr

I'm sure this final photo is a good representation of what each one of you look like after finishing this post. I know this is how I felt while putting it together. I hope you all enjoyed this! Until next time!
ImageBad hair day by Solomon Wise, on Flickr

-Infantryveteran
soulsurvivor

Re: May 7th-June 10th. Highlights and heartbreaks. (pic heav

Post by soulsurvivor »

Very nice post, Solomon. I'm sorry to hear about your grandfather. I also find road cruising to be a great stress release, particularly solo trips. That's good you have been able to get out. Keep it up whenever possible.

~Bree
Carl D. May

Post by Carl D. May »

I echo Bree's thoughts regarding your grandfather. Sorry about your loss.
Some super good photo in the post---but the bad hair day shot at the en is just grand!
ZantiMissKnit

Post by ZantiMissKnit »

I am so sorry for your loss.

Great photos!
BillMcGighan

Post by BillMcGighan »

Sorry too for your loss.

Your post is wonderful.... echo to all who commented.
Noah M

Post by Noah M »

I'm sorry for your loss. I find road cruising, particularly alone, to be one the most therapeutic things I can do.

And yes, while all of the pictures are great (love that mud snake!), I think the bad hair day picture takes the cake :thumb:
mtratcliffe

Post by mtratcliffe »

Sorry about your loss - I'm glad you were able to visit before he passed. I hope your new job is going well - you were in the animal removal business before, weren't you?

Good smattering of herps you've got there. I like the Green Snake on the dirt road - your camera picked that one up nicely.
InfantryVeteran

Post by InfantryVeteran »

mtratcliffe wrote:Sorry about your loss - I'm glad you were able to visit before he passed. I hope your new job is going well - you were in the animal removal business before, weren't you?

Good smattering of herps you've got there. I like the Green Snake on the dirt road - your camera picked that one up nicely.
Yep! I'm still doing the same stuff, only with another company. I also got a promotion. Having a full weekend off is nice as well.

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I've been herping a few more times since this post and have found some good stuff, but I'll save it for the next post.
Jimi

Post by Jimi »

I'm glad you got up there before he died. Life's just a serial heartbreaker. Somehow, we keep going; which I guess beats the alternative...

This however :
I'm not a birder, but it gave me the chance to play around with my newest lens. Please forgive me.
is pretty damn funny. "What happens on FHF stays on FHF" ha ha ha. Good on ya.

best,
Jimi