Best Snake Tongs, Hooks, Grabbers

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

shredsteban

Best Snake Tongs, Hooks, Grabbers

Post by shredsteban »

What do you guys recommend? I'll be relocating to Africa in the near future. I'd like to safely remove hots if they happen to come onto my property. Money is not an issue, I want something reliable and durable. Thanks.
-Nick
Bryan Hamilton

Re: Best Snake Tongs, Hooks, Grabbers

Post by Bryan Hamilton »

I'm a big fan of midwest's M1 series tongs. They are available in a variety of lengths. For field use, the gentle giant tongs don't offer enough pressure to grab snakes. The standard series (pilstrom) can squeeze too hard. The M1 series is a good compromise and is really similar to old witco tongs. I believe whitco tongs can still be had but they were lower quality and tended to fall apart after a couple seasons in the field.

http://tongs.com/40inchm1snaketong.aspx
nhherp

Post by nhherp »

On the premise that you are familiar and experienced with tongs and hooks.

Hooks are my preference, I make my own. I have no experience with any commercially made hooks. I recommend a narrow hook for elapid and a wider hook for the vipers. There are several hook makes out there that can sell you a decent hook. You want a handling hook, not a "stumpripper' type.

Midwest M1 tongs are great and have held up well for me, length is a personal preference. All internal cables no tangle in cable issues. I used them for road-cruising on roads where traffic was heavier and quickness was needed. I have pair of the Gentle Giants somewhere but I dont know where at moment, I think I got those in 2003. In the end water bowls were what I used them on most often when I kept a collection.

Tongs generally only frighten and agitate the animal more, however that is easy to say from a keyboard. .
When your in your shed trying to get a mamba out without harm to yourself or the snake they can be a very effective tool.

Property upkeep will be the most effective preventative measure in the end.

I get rattlesnakes regularly on my property here in NM. Those specimens within 50 feet of the house get moved to the back of the property, anything beyond that is just left to itself. My landscape is natural, but we have 2 horses = hay/grain=mice/rats= rattlesnakes. Part of living in rural area in my opinion.
Keep it cleaned up near the house so you notice visitors and do not attract tenants.

-N-
shredsteban

Post by shredsteban »

Bryan Hamilton wrote:I'm a big fan of midwest's M1 series tongs. They are available in a variety of lengths. For field use, the gentle giant tongs don't offer enough pressure to grab snakes. The standard series (pilstrom) can squeeze too hard. The M1 series is a good compromise and is really similar to old witco tongs. I believe whitco tongs can still be had but they were lower quality and tended to fall apart after a couple seasons in the field.

http://tongs.com/40inchm1snaketong.aspx
Thanks for your advice and information, I will check those out when the time comes.
shredsteban

Post by shredsteban »

nhherp wrote:On the premise that you are familiar and experienced with tongs and hooks.

Hooks are my preference, I make my own. I have no experience with any commercially made hooks. I recommend a narrow hook for elapid and a wider hook for the vipers. There are several hook makes out there that can sell you a decent hook. You want a handling hook, not a "stumpripper' type.

Midwest M1 tongs are great and have held up well for me, length is a personal preference. All internal cables no tangle in cable issues. I used them for road-cruising on roads where traffic was heavier and quickness was needed. I have pair of the Gentle Giants somewhere but I dont know where at moment, I think I got those in 2003. In the end water bowls were what I used them on most often when I kept a collection.

Tongs generally only frighten and agitate the animal more, however that is easy to say from a keyboard. .
When your in your shed trying to get a mamba out without harm to yourself or the snake they can be a very effective tool.

Property upkeep will be the most effective preventative measure in the end.

I get rattlesnakes regularly on my property here in NM. Those specimens within 50 feet of the house get moved to the back of the property, anything beyond that is just left to itself. My landscape is natural, but we have 2 horses = hay/grain=mice/rats= rattlesnakes. Part of living in rural area in my opinion.
Keep it cleaned up near the house so you notice visitors and do not attract tenants.

-N-

Thanks for your insight. I agree, property upkeep is key. I'm familiar enough with field herping to check trash piles and any AC left behind by people, so I will definitely be keep our property clean. Got a wife and young kids, definitely don't want them getting bit by any cobras, mambas or adders while we are there. I plan on doing quite a bit of herping while I'm in Africa, although that is not my intention of relocating there. We may have a lot of time to kill, so it's possible that I will get in the field more often over there than I do here. That's the main reason why I want something to last. I may buy a pair to keep at home and a couple pairs that I will strictly use in the field.