Help HerpMapper meet its goal - 60k by end of June

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Chris Smith

Help HerpMapper meet its goal - 60k by end of June

Post by Chris Smith »

Hi all,

Please consider helping HerpMapper reach its goal of 60,000 observation by June 30th. Just over 1,500 observations to go!

Already have data in HERP or iNaturalist? There is no need to re-enter it, you can simply import data. HERP (NaHerp) observations can be transferred with only a few clicks. See: http://www.herpmapper.org/importing-data

Not familiar with HerpMapper? Here is some background:

HerpMapper is a relatively new global herp atlas and data hub project that receives "catch and release" data from herpers, other citizen scientists, and professionals (where data-use practices allow). These data are only viewable to county-level to the public, but HerpMapper does make these data freely available to herpetologists working to conserve and research amphibians and reptiles. All observations include one or more voucher photograph(s) and/or audio recordings. For more information about the project, see our flyer at http://www.herpmapper.org/content/pdf/h ... cement.pdf, or visit http://www.HerpMapper.org.

Thank you in advance!
Chris

HerpMapper on Facebook and @HerpMapper on Twitter.
Chris Smith

Re: Help HerpMapper meet its goal - 60k by end of June

Post by Chris Smith »

We didn't quite meet our goal of 60k observations by June 30, but we got close! Thanks to all that participated.

http://www.HerpMapper.org

-Chris
chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

A day late, but I just imported 590 records. I have over 1,000 in NAHERP--I don't know why it didn't take them all.
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Thank you Chris for your participation! Do all your observations include lat/lon and a photo voucher? HerpMapper only accepts records that have those data. If you feel there was an error, let me know and we will get if figured out.

-Chris

[email protected]
John Delgado

Post by John Delgado »

Nice web site Chris ... I registered and uploaded 40 vouchers today.

I'm new to field herping as of May 2014 -- Specific to rattlesnakes, but will voucher any snake, amphibian or lizard other than Western Fence or Sagebrush... I could voucher them, but I see at least 20 to 40+ almost every time I go herping.

Question, will I be able to upload from NAHERP to HerpMapper using the same process?

I would like to continue uploading on NAHERP and use the upload button on HerpMapper -- Very simple/convenient.
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Thank you for participating John. You can continue to transfer from HERP if that is your preference.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Happy Herpin'
Chris

P.s. Be sure to checkout the HerpMapper Facebook and/or Twitter pages.
chris_mcmartin

Post by chris_mcmartin »

Chris Smith wrote:Thank you Chris for your participation! Do all your observations include lat/lon and a photo voucher? HerpMapper only accepts records that have those data.
Nope; all have lat/long, but not all have photos (hard/illegal to stop on the interstate...). I figured that might be the problem as I did my personal troubleshooting. 8-)
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

chris_mcmartin wrote:
Chris Smith wrote:Thank you Chris for your participation! Do all your observations include lat/lon and a photo voucher? HerpMapper only accepts records that have those data.
Nope; all have lat/long, but not all have photos (hard/illegal to stop on the interstate...). I figured that might be the problem as I did my personal troubleshooting. 8-)
:thumb:

Thank you again for participating.

Happy Herpin' and 4th.

-Chris
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

60k observations reached and exceeded. Only a few days behind our goal. Great work and thank you to all contributors. http://www.herpmapper.org

-Chris