RFI: Mudnsnakes?

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Noah M

RFI: Mudnsnakes?

Post by Noah M » July 14th, 2015, 11:15 am

Where are they this year? According to HERP, by this time last year people had seen over 20 of them. This year HERP has 5 records, 3 from J. Young alone, and all from May or earlier.

simus343

Re: RFI: Mudnsnakes?

Post by simus343 » July 14th, 2015, 7:36 pm

I don't know and I'm bummed out. They are still on my list of lifers that I am trying to target this year. I have been going all over NW Fla looking for them in right conditions and have yet to see any.

I have noticed more spraying this year for mosquitos from planes. I wonder if the insecticides have had a dramatic toll (more so than typical) on the sirens and amphiumas, and therefore the muds?

Josh Young

Post by Josh Young » July 14th, 2015, 10:53 pm

I've seen probably 15-20 this year, including one just the night before last, just haven't been uploading to HERP because my home's wifi has been crap lately. I also haven't spent much time out looking for them at the spot where I saw a lot last year.

Noah M

Post by Noah M » July 15th, 2015, 5:38 am

Josh Young wrote:I've seen probably 15-20 this year, including one just the night before last, just haven't been uploading to HERP because my home's wifi has been crap lately. I also haven't spent much time out looking for them at the spot where I saw a lot last year.
Are you just cruising them? Every now and again I would at least get a DOR. I don't think I'm cruising any less, or any different locations this year, and I haven't seen any. I'll keep trying. It just surprises me how some things that showed up readily last year I haven't seen this year.

Josh Young

Post by Josh Young » July 16th, 2015, 3:56 am

Um, I've probably cruised around half of them, the other half I shined at a spillway were most of the mud snakes I see come from, several were cruised there as well. I've gotten more DOR muds from that area this year than I did last year, also. We didn't get the rainfall this May that we did last year which has slowed the activity of the muds down at the spot I go to.

Noah M

Post by Noah M » July 16th, 2015, 5:14 am

Thanks.

Lloyd Heilbrunn

Post by Lloyd Heilbrunn » July 19th, 2015, 7:44 pm

So far the really dry summer has depressed road cruising numbers on almost everything in South Fla., IMO.

walk-about

Post by walk-about » July 28th, 2015, 10:07 am

I have seen lots in KY this summer and I have only gotten out a few times in that type. That said, I saw very few - in fact the fewest I have ever seen this past spring when I typically find many under debris.

Dave