Another successful night!

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Deng09

Another successful night!

Post by Deng09 »

Went night cruising again the other night and found a couple rattlers, a long nose snake, I believe a baby glossy snake (maybe someone can ID for sure), and a couple of desert horned lizards, one dead and one alive.

Is it normal for the desert horned lizards to be out at night? I didn't think it was but I found a crushed one on the road and a few hundred yards down found a second one just kind of laying there.

Also, hopefully you can see in the picture but the first rattle snake, which I believe might be a Mojave rattlesnake, was very fat with scales near its rattle that appeared to be very stretched out. Was this a gravid female? Maybe it just ate a large meal? The scales at the base of the tail were faded in color and appeared stretched. Also very fat in that area. I'm a newbie here so not sure what that was exactly. Also for ID purposes, I read that if the white bands near the rattle in the tail are much bigger than the black bands, that meant it was a mojave rattlesnake as opposed to a diamondback. Is this true?

Image20150714_002155

Image20150713_233852

Image20150713_231643

Image20150713_223150

Image20150714_002718
MarcLinsalata

Re: Another successful night!

Post by MarcLinsalata »

That girl is about to pop!!!!!!!!!!
MarcLinsalata

Post by MarcLinsalata »

I've found it pretty common to find horned lizards (and many others) to be pressed against the asphalt at random times at night but especially right after dark............. :thumb:
KichiMark

Post by KichiMark »

Very cool finds. That crote does look like she is ready to explode isn't she? :o . I have seen horned lizards o the sides of roads when the sun is going down. Never would have thought they would stay there during the whole night. I wonder if it were to stay warm during the night? Was it getting chilly out?
ricrabt

Post by ricrabt »

The first one is a glossy...I find many species of lizards at night. Sometimes they seem to have just hunkered down. I ve seen everything from leopards and desert igys to side blotched and fences. Oh and yes it does appear to be a gravid scute....
Deng09

Post by Deng09 »

KichiMark wrote:Very cool finds. That crote does look like she is ready to explode isn't she? :o . I have seen horned lizards o the sides of roads when the sun is going down. Never would have thought they would stay there during the whole night. I wonder if it were to stay warm during the night? Was it getting chilly out?
It was probably about 10pm I found the horned lizard. Still in the mid 80's in terms of temperature.