Video Camera Suggestions

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Josh Holbrook

Video Camera Suggestions

Post by Josh Holbrook »

Hello all,

I tried doing some searchers, figuring a topic like this would be a no-brainer, but haven't found anything within a couple of years. I'm looking for a video camera in the $300 (or under) range with a couple of important features:

1.) ability to use an external mic like a lapel mic or something of that sort

2.) Rotating LCD screen so I can easily see/focus on myself if I'm shooting solo (Wow, that sentence sounds egocentric doesn't it?)

3.) Takes good quality video - HD or whatever.

4.) It also wouldn't hurt if it was relatively small and could take a beating.

Also, before I get a bunch of suggestions for a GoPro, I've considered it but I'm looking for other stuff currently.

Thanks in advanced all,

-Josh
csalemi731

Re: Video Camera Suggestions

Post by csalemi731 »

check out bhphotovideo.com Give them a call and tell me exactly what you are looking for. they will have a huge selection in every price range. their customer service is top notch, they know the products and will never try to sell you something you dont need just to make a buck. I am not affiliated with them lol. i do however buy all my photography, computer and home entertainment gear from them and you wont be disappointed
Noah M

Post by Noah M »

I think you would be thoroughly impressed with the quality of most things from here

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/ ... camcorders

I have a much older one, and it has a hot shoe mount for pointed mics, touch screen, does pretty darn good HD video, and had a headphone sound output option so you can tweak your audio levels.

I don't know if the newer ones have wireless external mic options, you'd have to look, but they're neat little things. My older one has a 3 sec pre record option which is nice. It is continually "filming" but will only save when you depress the button, and will save 3 seconds worth of video prior to you pressing the button. Perfect for action events, like dolphins breaking the water.
Josh Holbrook

Post by Josh Holbrook »

Thanks for the suggestions all.

Scott - I'm not sure I can afford you, unless Herp Nation is looking to start an online herping show :beer: