2015 Field Photography 1

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Porter

2015 Field Photography 1

Post by Porter »

I have very little time these days... working a lot :sleep: I'm gonna keep the narrating short without disregarding significant insight to the colour of experience...

This Thunderstorm brought forth a lifer this year. One I hadn't ever set out to look for, but was very appreciated :beer: Got the juices flown again. A new bud invited me along for a northern exposure that had little payoff due to the moody weather. Beers with bro's, outta town billiards with locals (while waiting for then boys to rondevu), and hangover crick hiking... weekend well needed.

ImageThunderstorm Sunbreak by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

Cool thing about this find was... He dove upon seeing us. Then resurfaced not once but twice in the exact same spot! He had his escape plan well mapped out. Which became obvious to us how it had benefitted in growing to the monstrous size he was. Thanks to his reemerging from the deep pool, I was able to snap off these pics for memoir.

ImageFoothills Yellow-legged Frog by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageFoothills Yellow-legged Frog by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageFoothill Yellow-legged Frog by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageFoothills Frog reflection by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

There wasn't much to see of the cold blooded creatures as the sun heated things up. So, I stopped to photograph this passing opportunity. I couldn't help but acknowledge how much I wished a lady had been present...

ImageVariable Checkerspots on Buckeye by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

...and El Rojo Drago

ImageFlame Skimmer by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

After the Flutterbys had fluttered on by... We came across this slithery bastard feasting on small trout fry. I was suddenly reunited with the first subspecies of gartersnake I had ever found in the wild. Hadn't seen any since that camping trip from my childhood.

ImageOregon Gartersnake by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageOregon Gartersnake by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

Earlier that year... I had been doing a little random session work when I could find the time and needed the refreshing rejuvenation only mother nature can offer. Here's a small tasteful peek into the beauty that caught my eye...

ImageSunset by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageSunset by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageLeaf by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageLady Birds by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageTree Frog by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageTree Sunset by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

Imagesunset by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

Imagesunset by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageWestern Yellow-bellied Racer by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageWestern Yellow-bellied Racer by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

Imageclouds by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

Raven or Crow...? At first I thought crow. Then I put thought to it after the photo was taken and googled sizes... any takers?

ImageRaven attacking Red-tailed Hawk by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageJack Rabbt by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

Imagebuzzard by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageSquirk by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0169 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageGopher Snake insitu by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImagePacific Gopher Snake Insitu by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

I had a nice gigas observation this year.... I saw the same large adult I seen for the last two years. Dwelling consistently within the caverns surrounding her hunting grounds. This year, I noticed a young juvi half submerged from a hole. As I lay hanging over the decent of the levee... I looked to the right of me to get a better elbow position and noticed my old friend comfortably shadow basking within the grass above her rocky caverns. I went back on three separate occasions to find Old Gigan perched within the same clump bunch of grass. An obvious safe housing for an intelligent and wise old specimen.

ImageBasking Old Gigan by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageBasking Giant Gartersnake by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageGiant Gartersnake by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageBasking Old Gigan by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageGiant Gartersnake by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

Old Gigan slowly descending back into the depth of a solidified home...

ImagePeek-a-boo Gigan by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageGiant Gartersnake home by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

Then Gigan crawled through a series of tunnels and popped up for a peek from another hole three five feet away from the first...

ImageGiant Gartersnake home by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

Photos from one of the other days... a 3 days were within a two week period. This year... skinniest I've seen. I think it's just because these sighting were at the beginning of the season. Before hunting occurred. In fact, I never saw an attempt to hunt while sitting there... and I sat a very long time! lol Coolest experience with this snake was last year. I sat two feet away and watched a series of periscopes from the same rock. Each breath of air follow a whale blowhole-like exgursion of water from the nostrils (highly poetically exaggerated). No camera on me... :| pfft

Imagegigas in grass by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

Imagegigas in grass1 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

Imageg crawl by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_1366 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_1367 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageGigan by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageGigan by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_1371 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_1372 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_1375 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_1383 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_1384 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

I then spent the next hour bonding with this Egret....

ImageEgret hunting grounds by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageEgret Hunting by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageEgret fluff hunting by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageDSC_1551 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageEgret cleaning by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageEgret by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

Then I came across an orphaned opossum. Unbelievable how at home these guys are in the trees... even at this young of age! The usage of tail hooking and tightrope walking skills is incredible to say the least. I took this little guy to the Wildlife Care Association for assurance of survival :thumb:

ImageAwesome possum by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageOpossum climbing 8 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageOpossum climbing 6 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageOpossum climbing 1 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageOpossum climbing 2 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageOpossum climbing 3 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageOpossum climbing 1 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

Imagepossum1 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

Imageopossum walk by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

Imageopossum walk 1a by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

Imageopossum sit 2 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

Sometime after this... I hooked up with the Chadster on a bunk night to cure some boredom. Masterfocus Chaderalis gave me some valuable tips on night photog with the 90mm mac. These shot would not have been possible without his expertise with DOF and nocturnal flash photo mastery! Much obliged compadre :mrgreen: :beer:

ImageNorthern Pacific Rattlesnake by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageNorthern Pacific Rattlesnake by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

Then with help of a new bud... I set out to search for another lifer. It wasn't long before I came across these two emerging from there sandy domain to devourer negligent Harvester Ants. I must have spent close to two hours patiently slow moving around these guys to capture these Insitu's. Pretty rewarding and graciously satisfying day. After two hours with the toads... I spent the heat of the day photographing plant life and bugs. Reminded of some of Nicholas's butterfly photography I saw earlier this year... I began slow and steadily chasing down these pollen hungry flying dwazzle boppers :thumb:

ImageBlainville Horned Lizard by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageBlainville Horned Lizard by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageMonarch1 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageMonarch4 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageCucumber Beetle on Chia by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageBee Clarkia by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageButterfly Mariposa Lily by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageButterfly Mariposa Lily by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageLupine by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageBumblebee by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageStickey Monkeyflower by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageAnise Swallowtail by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageBlow-wives by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageClarkia by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageIthuriels Spear by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageIthuriels Spear by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageLupine by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageWild Mustard by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

Imageplant neg 30 by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

I then returned that evening to the place I photographed the toads earlier that day. Saw the same lazy liz tuckered out after arising from his mid day sand nap... In situ as well. After that, I called it a day.

Right about now, I think I'll call it a night...lol I have more that I'll add later in another post with wather I find twards the end of the year. Also, reminde of long post taking forever to view/upload... I'll save us all the headache :lol: :thumb: 8-) peace

TO BE CONTINUED...

I'll leave you with a few sleepy shots of a sunset over Sutter crop fields...

ImageIridescent Cloud by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageSutter Crop Fields Sunset by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

ImageIridescent Cloud by California Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation, on Flickr

-Porter :sleep:
Calfirecap

Re: 2015 Field Photography 1

Post by Calfirecap »

Awesome Post Richard, your photography is second to none.
hellihooks

Post by hellihooks »

good stuff.... :thumb:
Zach_Lim

Post by Zach_Lim »

Amazing photos porter, especially the sky shots.
Brian Hubbs

Post by Brian Hubbs »

Some nice pics Porter, as usual...and you must have liked this post so much you posted it twice today... :lol:
Porter

Post by Porter »

Much obliged Gentlemen :beer:

:lol: i was so tired when i finally finished it, I thought I was just seeing doubles lol :sleep: :crazyeyes: i thought it wasn't uploading because of how long it was taking, so i clicked the upload button again... then was like :shock: :? I sent a pm to Fundad asking to move one of them to the main forum. I know that's something you guys want anyway. Is there a way for me to delete one? If so, i couldn't figure through it
repaphin

Post by repaphin »

Very nice post! I digged the Giant Garter shots!
rpecora

Post by rpecora »

Great pictures. The buzzard is actually a vulture though. I like the sound of buzzard better, but it's a vulture not a buzzard.
Fieldnotes

Post by Fieldnotes »

You make finding Giant Garters Snakes look easy. :thumb:
El Garia

Post by El Garia »

Great shots. I'm really diggin' the 'macros'

Fantastic post, Porter! :beer:

-Derek
Porter

Post by Porter »

Turkey Vultures are commonly referred to as buzzards, like blainsville are called coastal, toads, or even spiky after eaten midnight gremlins. However, i do agree... they look nothing like a buzzard. Besides, everyone knows they are more closely related to Turkeys anyway....

;)

Thanks guy's! :beer: ..I'll have a little more here in a bit
Porter

Post by Porter »

Also... something I noticed while uploading the pics. The First gigas I mentioned that was my target of interest before Old Gigan, is actually snuggle nudging Gigan in the hole pic with the dirt in the web hanging from above. It's dark and hard to see, but if you click on the pic...it takes you to my Flickr page...then click on the photo while in the flickr window and it auto zooms for you. Pretty cool nose to nose shot

Also, Gigan could be male or female...idk. Looks shot and robust when full of fish...skinny and long when hungry. Anyone know how to tell without sexing?