Reclaimed Zoo

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Zach Cava

Reclaimed Zoo

Post by Zach Cava »

Made a trip to Allegany State Park over the weekend and checked out the remains of an "outdoor museum" built by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) in 1933. The concrete enclosures originally held fish, turtles, snakes, and other creatures. The museum was only open during the summer, and so captive animals were released at the end of the season.

But apparently some animals have decided to stick around! The concrete foundation still holds water, and was teaming with frogs (Lithobates clamitans) and tadpoles when I visited.

Noah M

Re: Reclaimed Zoo

Post by Noah M »

This is neat. Thanks for sharing.
VICtort

Post by VICtort »

That is pretty amazing...some of those old CCC jobs and projects were specialized and showed great craftsmanship, others less so. I have seen some projects (rock walls) destroyed due to highway widening, and the rebuilds were inferior by far, so some of the CCC crews were skilled. I also think it is cool that wildlife are using them still. I also think my enclosures/habitats are reasonably successful when native herps move in and live there, given they have other options. Thus, those enclosures still serve a function of benefit to the local herps.

thanks for posting those historical old structures. It might be fun to research them and learn who managed them and how the projects went.

Vic
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Its haunting and beautiful the animals reclaiming it freely, covered in green it epitomizes something and redefines it. I am very moved by this.
walk-about

Post by walk-about »

Pretty cool! I bet you could find alot around that place with a flashlight on a rainy night.

Dave
Zach Cava

Post by Zach Cava »

Thanks!

@VICtort: here's a picture of a sign with some more information about the site, and some historical photos.

@Kelly: I agree, and glad I was able to convey this!

@Dave: For sure! In terms of herps, I know there's more than green frogs using the space. I'm pretty sure I saw some little tree frog metamorphs hopping around, and a friend has found dusky salamanders here too. Would be cool to take a more thorough inventory!