garter bite hurts really bad.

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

nickj1199

garter bite hurts really bad.

Post by nickj1199 »

hey, I caught a blue garter today and he/she was big for a garter. and surprisingly(not realy) he bit bit me and musked and crapped all over the place. It was pretty cool because for one I live in seminole county which is on the east side of fl and I didnt know they where blue over here. it was also cool two because within five feet of each other there was another garter(that one was black)and a toad. after I caught first one I went back to my dad to take pics then he looked over there and said look theres another snake. after he said that it took off and so did the toad and I never saw either again. anyways what i was trying to get to is it bit me in the arm and it got latched on and i had to help it get off, after that my arm went numb for a couple minutes then it started to hurt really bad and its still burning. ive heard they have toxic saliva, could this affect me and make my arm numb and burn? ill post pics later.
Gyri

Re: garter bite hurts really bad.

Post by Gyri »

Pretty much all snakes have enzymes that collect in their saliva and can depending on individuals, subspsecies, locality, the concentrations and chemical makeups of those enzymes can change. It is possible also that the reaction was caused by something living in the snake's saliva/throat. I, about half the time, get a mild allergic reaction in response to bites from Nerodia and am not sure if it's something the snakes produce directly that cause the reaction or if it's something living in their mouths. In my case, I just get a mild rash for half an hour or so. Given that it was just a gartersnake, you should be fine in short order. If it is an allergic reaction then you should keep an eye on the rest of your body. Difficulty breathing is a sign to seek medical attention but I suspect by now you are feeling better.

I've got more to say about snake saliva but it will have to wait until tomorrow.

I'm reminded of this brilliant clip from the Red Green Show.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WViMTV4idg
Gyri

Post by Gyri »

you might also make a note of it in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2239
Green Snake Man

Post by Green Snake Man »

nickj1199

Post by nickj1199 »

ya, I know it wasnt a similis but it was a very blue garter snake. I thought they were mostly only greenish over here. the bite doesnt hurt anymore, but it did burn for a while yesterday. I havent had any reaction with nerodia, but they hurt when they bite to. heres the pics.
after letting go.
the bite at first.
I dont know why but it wouldnt close its wouth until I let it go, I think it was because he was ready to bit e again which he did on my finger.
Lt.Mike

Post by Lt.Mike »

the bite at first.
403 FORBIDDEN this file violates...
Wow that must have some bite to get censored like that, way to much blood and gore! :lol:
That blue in the garter is really nice. Never found one myself and would be pretty thrilled if I did.
Very nice find! :thumb:
nickj1199

Post by nickj1199 »

how can a bite be censored but not a dor snake or turtle or something.
Tim Borski

Post by Tim Borski »

how can a bite be censored
'You sure the bite was on your finger?

:shock:
nickj1199

Post by nickj1199 »

no my arm, there was ALOT of blood it was stuck on my arm and sat there and chewed for about a minute.
Lloyd Heilbrunn

Post by Lloyd Heilbrunn »

nickj1199 wrote:hey, I caught a blue garter today and he/she was big for a garter. and surprisingly(not realy) he bit bit me and musked and crapped all over the place. It was pretty cool because for one I live in seminole county which is on the east side of fl and I didnt know they where blue over here. it was also cool two because within five feet of each other there was another garter(that one was black)and a toad. after I caught first one I went back to my dad to take pics then he looked over there and said look theres another snake. after he said that it took off and so did the toad and I never saw either again. anyways what i was trying to get to is it bit me in the arm and it got latched on and i had to help it get off, after that my arm went numb for a couple minutes then it started to hurt really bad and its still burning. ive heard they have toxic saliva, could this affect me and make my arm numb and burn? ill post pics later.

Proper capitalization and punctuation would make it possible to see if your post was interesting or not.

Sheesh....
ElliotH

Post by ElliotH »

^^^^^ :thumb:
Ecto Hunter

Post by Ecto Hunter »

i've had similar reactions to ribbon snakes, garter snakes, and 1 particular Florida water snake. The ribbon bites were the most uncomfortable.
rpecora

Post by rpecora »

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned anything about the food they eat.

Gyri, I just reread. Well put (produce), went right past me the first time.