North Jersey Gaters

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Francho1017

North Jersey Gaters

Post by Francho1017 »

Caught 3 garters today. Two were about a foot long and the other one was a baby.

The Real Snake Man

Re: North Jersey Gaters

Post by The Real Snake Man »

Cool shots. Another handling quibble though: it's not as big of a deal with smaller snakes, but it's generally a good idea to avoid holding a snake near the tail tip as you do in the final shot. Holding the snake near the center of the body is best for it, and the more points of contact when holding, the better. Just remember that, especially for a snake that doesn't rely much on muscle power (like a garter), having its entire weight dangling from a point on its body that would never naturally support it might be stressful (and in larger snakes, could damage their spine). Again, I see that you're new to the Forum, so I'm not wanting to sound harshly critical, I just want you to get off on the right foot.

-Gene
simus343

Post by simus343 »

Very nice garters you have there. I get Thamnophis sauritus all the time here in Fla and they can put on quite a nippy display when I catch them.

To add to what Gene said though about the tail, I have caught snakes by the tail where they will twist and the tail will rip off. Unlike lizards, it doesn't grow back that fast and depending on how much, may never fully recover. I would say just hold them mid-section and suffer a few bites. Besides, if catching non-venomous snakes, sustaining a bite is sort of a requirement :P (though if it isn't already nipping, no need to force it).
Noah M

Post by Noah M »

I agree with other people here, that kind of handling is dangerous to the animal, and your garters are pretty. But to stick up for the new poster as well, it looks as though about 1/5th of the snake is resting firmly on the ground. This approach is probably less likely to harm the snake.

I agree with simus, sustaining a bite or two will happen. But careful, slow movement handling of snakes can often lead to a bite free experience. I've started to find that holding the back half to 2/3 of the snake, letting the head roam a bit, can often let the snake feel more comfortable, and allows me to avoid being bitten. Running up and just grabbing the snake is almost guaranteed to get you bit. In the event that it does bite you, is also important to not jerk back. You can pull out teeth and hurt the snake doing that too.
Francho1017

Post by Francho1017 »

Thank you all for the insights i will definitely take it into consideration. This is why i joined the forum, i think its great to be communicating with people from different states. I been searching the out skirts of the city behind warehouses and train tracks and would like to begin exploring other regions of the map. As a kid i read 'a snake lovers diary' and kept a copy of 'audubon society field guide to north american retiles and amphibians' in my backpack; i always wanted to catch most the snakes in the books. I hope to expand my network here and make that happen.
The Real Snake Man

Post by The Real Snake Man »

Glad to see you don't get all defensive, and just take good-natured advice. Have you ever read Carl Kauffeld's Snakes and Snake Hunting? He looks for stuff all over, but he's specifically got several chapters about his herping experiences in New Jersey. It's a great read, I'd highly recommend it.

-Gene