Foetus and Fossil

Dedicated exclusively to field herping.

Moderator: Scott Waters

Kelly Mc

Foetus and Fossil

Post by Kelly Mc »

On impulse of our nerdicus delight, I thought I would ask this question :

Which do you find most fascinating? In a way they are almost like story teller twins in parallel. Its hard to tear away from images and collections of specimens..

If any one has some to share or link to - lets look at some !
justinm

Re: Feotus and Fossil

Post by justinm »

I have a lot of fossils, one is a complete skeleton and a few nice trilobites and some neat plants. I can try to get some pics up. I have a large collection for a guy of my means.
walk-about

Post by walk-about »

Kelly you and your 'nerdious delight' are beautiful. Pretty much what Justin said, I have a few - probably not as nice as his, but meaningful to me because many of them were found with my 9 year old daughter Jessica and well, as often is the case, she finds them I guess because she is closer to the ground. So not an actual fossil, but where we live - the soil is called loess. It is kinda like a sedimentary conglomorant of sandstone and clay pudding stone and sometimes appears in gravel roads as perfect clay 'donuts' as Jessica calls them....and so yes, we collect the donuts.

Dave
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Thank you for your comments and I hope sometime to see some of your collection (or all- the more the merrier!)

And also Dave I would like to see what the loess looks like.

Dads that herp and rock hunt and dig vernal pools and stuff like that with their kids, well what could be more wonderful. Moms too, of course!
Bryan Hamilton

Post by Bryan Hamilton »

What is a feotus?
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

I used the lesser used version of Fetus. I guess I felt somehow that a fetus attending the same nerd party as a Fossil would want to be introduced as Feotus.
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Its Foetus

Which means I just got a chunk of bean dip on my tie at my own nerd party.
Kelly Mc

Re: Foetus and Fossil

Post by Kelly Mc »

I couldn't resist correcting the thread title.
justinm

Post by justinm »

Does a fully formed Dead in Egg Corn snake in Moonshine (as a pickling agent) count as a foetus? If so I has one on my desk. I'll get a pic of it up if I can.
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Yes. That's just as ruggedly poetic as all hell. BTW.

Many years ago I came across a pictorial of embryonic life. Elephant, horse, dolphin, snake, were some remembered in the piece. I was sure it was National Geographic and searched for it since but haven't found.

I am thinking as cool as that was medical photography techniques have gotten even cooler which is why links are welcome but I've seen some really incredible photos here of caudata development.

Fossils, embryos, fetuses. Fascinating to see.
justinm

Post by justinm »

Kelly Mc wrote:Yes. That's just as ruggedly poetic as all hell. BTW.

Many years ago I came across a pictorial of embryonic life. Elephant, horse, dolphin, snake, were some remembered in the piece. I was sure it was National Geographic and searched for it since but haven't found.

I am thinking as cool as that was medical photography techniques have gotten even cooler which is why links are welcome but I've seen some really incredible photos here of caudata development.

Fossils, embryos, fetuses. Fascinating to see.
All my eggs hatched but one beautiful egg. I left it for days, hoping waiting. It began to mold so I delicately cut it open. Then I found a fully formed but dead baby snake. It is still in it's membrane. I didn't have any formalin, so I used a jar of moonshine grandpa made. I don't drink it, but had it around for novelty. It's working great to keep the snake though. Tonight I'll try to get some pics of the stuff in the snake room to share.
Antonsrkn

Post by Antonsrkn »

I like the comparison embryos (life to be) vs fossils (life past), I do enjoy fossils but of the two my interests lie much more with the living developing embryos. Its rare to be able to photograph development without invasive techniques but I have come across some frog species that allow me the privilege of photographing their development without disturbing them.

Here are a few photos for your enjoyment...
Red-eyed tree frog
ImageEmbryos by Anton, on Flickr

ImageFrog Caviar by Anton, on Flickr

Some sort of glass frog
ImageUnborn by Anton, on Flickr

Those were all taken long ago (2011 I think), I feel that I have grown as a photographer and a herper since then and would love another crack at photographing them. Luckily I was able to photograph some developing eggs while working in Borneo last year. These all belong to Feihyla kajau, a cute little Rhacaphorid frog that very much resembles a glass frog.

ImageDevelopment by Anton, on Flickr

ImageHanging Eggs by Anton, on Flickr

I actually have a bunch of photos of that species eggs and embryos, lots of shots I haven't processed yet even. I was trying to get a series of photos showing the development of the eggs into tadpoles eventually ending when they plopped into the stream below. So I found a clutch of eggs that was early in its development and I trekked out into the jungle every day after work in order to photograph the eggs, I kept this up for what feels like about a week when one day I showed up and one of the eggs was sort of scrambled, the next night when I walked out there all that was left was the gelatinous mess that the eggs were in but no sign of the eggs, it looked like snot hanging on a leaf... It was too early for them to have hatched so its obvious something must have predated them, I suspect wasps cause I have seen footage of them taking eggs in the neotropics and they would leave behind the gelatinous matrix. I really enjoyed monitoring their development and was pretty sad about the end they came to,
justinm

Post by justinm »

I forgot that I found some toad eggs drying in the grass after heavy rains a few weeks ago. He's my first fetus entry.

ImageIMG_20150712_114521 by Justin Michels, on Flickr
walk-about

Post by walk-about »

Kelly - I remember they use to use ringflashes for medical photo ops. That was some years ago...like 25. I hope things have improved. LoL

Justin - Great save on those egg strands. I guess your southern Illinois 'holler-shine'/formmaldehyde does the trick pretty well. Ha-ha.

Fantastic pics Anton. Looks like you have been to some really awesome places of late and I have seen those pics before on your Flickr - so impressive!!

Dave
justinm

Post by justinm »

Ok here's a few fossils that I don't have put away until my kids are old enough not to break them....

ImageP1030320 by Justin Michels, on Flickr.

My Great Grandfather found this one in a Coal Mine as a miner in Southern Illinois. It's known as a Coal Dollar, and it has pyriticized (spelling...) inclusions.
ImageP1030316 by Justin Michels, on Flickr

Megalodon tooth
ImageP1030308 by Justin Michels, on Flickr

Ammonite
ImageP1030305 by Justin Michels, on Flickr

Found this is Southern Indiana on one of the famous Snow Dawgs trips.
ImageP1030301 by Justin Michels, on Flickr

Sea Sponge
ImageP1030299 by Justin Michels, on Flickr

ImageP1030297 by Justin Michels, on Flickr

Mazon Creek Fern
ImageP1030293 by Justin Michels, on Flickr

Green River fish
ImageP1030290 by Justin Michels, on Flickr

Keichousaurus
ImageP1030286 by Justin Michels, on Flickr

I have a few more that I might try to unpack and show off.

Justin Michels
Kelly Mc

Post by Kelly Mc »

Fantastic!!!!
Antonsrkn

Post by Antonsrkn »

walk-about wrote:
Fantastic pics Anton. Looks like you have been to some really awesome places of late and I have seen those pics before on your Flickr - so impressive!!

Dave
Thanks! Yeah I have been pretty lucky lately, working in some fun locations and seeing lots of cool critters. Glad you enjoyed!
chrish

Post by chrish »

I actually don't know what these eggs were. I think they might be Siren lacertina?

Tim Borski

Post by Tim Borski »

We have tons of oolithic lime stone down here in the Florida keys and all have fossil coral and/or sea fans. They are so common as to be of no interest. I once found a fossilized Star fish on a step of the capital building in Madison Wisconsin. I'm sure it's still there. Sorry, that's all I've got.

This is a very interesting thread. Thanks Kelly.

Tim
BillMcGighan

Post by BillMcGighan »

Not mine, of course, but two fossils that impressed me:

The Sternberg Museum of Natural History at Fort Hays State University in Hays, Kansas - "Fish within a fish"

Gray Fossil Site and Museum - An alligator that lived here in NE Tennessee in the Late Miocene-epoch (5-11 million years ago.)